You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2017 8:32 pm  #1

Loop from Rock Lake starting on Wed. May 3rd

I just made my first ever interior reservation for A.P.P! I am starting at Rock Lake on Wednesday the 3rd, I was planning to stay on Pen Lake, Harry, Louisa, McGarvey, Pardee, then Louisa again.
Any campsite suggestions or anything I should know about any of the portages etc?

4/30/2017 9:56 pm  #2

Re: Loop from Rock Lake starting on Wed. May 3rd

Rock to Pen will be an easy first day, make sure you stop at the falls halfway through the portage. I've passed through Pen but never camped there... from what I've read, the eastern sites halfway down the lake are the nicest.

All of the rivers/creeks should be easily passable in the spring (I bottomed out quite a bit during a dry August a few years ago), but just like any other route in the spring season, there could be blowdowns and other obstacles that you'll need to consider. The 2.1k and 1.7k from Pen to Louisa both have a couple hills, but nothing major... they shouldn't be too challenging.

On Louisa there are 3 islands; the middle one is very nice. And the cliff site halfway down the lake, on the south shore, above the "u" in "Louisa" from Jeffs Maps, is a personal favourite... breathtaking panoramic views.

I haven't camped on McGarvey or Pardee, but I have done some research into both and it seems like the island on McGarvey and the northern site on Pardee are the nicer ones on the lakes. But they're both small lakes that you could paddle to check out all of the sites pretty quickly, and especially in early May you'll probably have the lakes to yourself anyways.

The 3k on your last day is an easy portage. Long, but very flat. You'll have to walk a few feet down the road and cross it, towards the beginning of the portage. Just look at Jeffs Maps so you know which way you should be heading (coming from Louisa to Rock, you'll turn right onto the road, and then left back into the forest)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/01/2017 6:05 am  #3

Trippythings is bang on re Pardee and McGarvey. The other sites pale in comparison. The western sites on Louisa are beautiful and the fishing is good at that end

5/01/2017 8:26 pm  #4

+1.  Pen: "beach" site on the pine knoll east side two thirds of the way down the lake is great (actual site is over the knoll from the beach); the third site south from there was beautiful, too. further south the southeastern sites could be a bit difficult to access for a person in a solo canoe, quite cliffy, but great sunset views, and slightly closer to the portage to get to Welcome. 

North shore of Harry is nice. 2 nice sites there.

I'm partial to the two western sites on Louisa, on the south shore points [they bracket the lake elevation "434" on Jeff's map.] If you are keen to get on the portage to Rock early, and want to be near the east end of Louisa, then the site on the north shore nearest Martin Creek is grassy and wide open with a nice grove of red pines and an epic ant hill. The site mentioned by Trippythings on the south side in the central part of the lake is high with nice views, but beware of the nearby rocky islet just to the east of it, where gulls nest in the spring. I got attacked there by some angry aerial poopers as i passed by..

I've stayed on McGarvey a couple of times. Trippythings and Self-reliant Shawn are correct that the island site facing east is best; the island site further west is high and sandy, but a bit characterless and the water there was full of leeches when i went for a swim there. The third site, on the north side is really sheltered. I stayed there on a super windy fall day with a thunderstorm moving in, and was glad for the shelter it afforded me and the ease of hanging a hammock, but it has no views, and would be dark and depressing in nice weather.. 

Have a great trip, and take care on the big water! 

Last edited by Methye (5/01/2017 8:40 pm)

5/02/2017 7:30 am  #5

Thanks for all the info everyone! I think I might be pushing the dates back by two weeks now unfortunately as something has come up. Looks like Ill be dodging a large amount of rain anyways, which is fine, I don't like being wet when it's cold out and I don't have great rain gear to say the least!

5/11/2017 5:58 pm  #6

When I pushed back the dates for my trip I also decided to extend the loop as follows
Tuesday May 16th - Pen Lake
17th - Harry's
18th - Louisa
19th - McGarvey
20th - Pardee
21st - Louisa
22nd - Home

But now I'm think about extending it even a bit more. I just watched a friend leave for a 23 day solo trip and now I'm jealous! So I'm think about doing;
Tuesday May 16th - Pen Lake
17th - Harry's
18th - Louisa
19th - McGarvey
20th - Ragged
21st - Little Island
22nd - Head
23rd - Louisa
24th - Home
Instead? Is there anything I should note about either of the above routes?

Last edited by ATVenture (5/11/2017 5:59 pm)

5/11/2017 6:27 pm  #7

The park is soaked - expect the bugs to already be out in solid numbers, especially later in in your trip. Bug jacket and lots of bug spray, and you're going to be happier on larger lakes where there's more chance of getting a nice breezy site. Look for point or island sites facing west. 

5/11/2017 8:11 pm  #8

Uppa wrote:

The park is soaked - expect the bugs to already be out in solid numbers, especially later in in your trip. Bug jacket and lots of bug spray, and you're going to be happier on larger lakes where there's more chance of getting a nice breezy site. Look for point or island sites facing west. 

I Tripped down into North Depot Lake for a couple of days.. just got back today. Weather was BEAUTIFUL but you are right, the ground is soaked and the water is high, and the bugs are indeed coming out. Water levels I hope wont be much of an issue on my route but I'm not 100% sure? I'm not afraid of the bugs at all, this will just get me prepared for June/July.. those will probably be my busiest months in the park. Thankfully the lows are looking pretty good so even if I can't get a good fire started its not necessary anyways. I'm leaving tomorrow for a weekend of fishing on North River Lake and area with a buddy, coming home on Sunday. Then 1 rest day and back at er'!

I just watched your new video and boy I feel bad. Too bad you couldn't have started a week later! Looking forward to watching the next segment!

Last edited by ATVenture (5/11/2017 8:16 pm)

5/12/2017 8:35 am  #9

It was originally booked to start yesterday (May 11th) but then a month or so ago I bumped it up by a week. Sigh - hindsight!

5/12/2017 12:16 pm  #10

I changed my reservation one last time! Now I will be doing -
1-Pen
2-Harry's
3-Louisa
4-McGarvey
5-Pardee
6-Pardee
7-Louisa
The day of I might make one last modification and change the second night on Pardee to Louisa. I like the thought of the solitude on Pardee, but I'm thinking the bugs will be much worse there and the fishing wont be as good as Louisa. If that's the case I will probably camp on the west side of Louisa for the first night, then the East side on the second to get me closer to the 3k portage. The best part is this will have me departing on the Tuesday after the long weekend... by the looks of it most people will be leaving Monday so the portages/access point should be FAIRLY quiet. lol

Last edited by ATVenture (5/12/2017 12:17 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.