You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2017 11:57 am  #1

Canoe Tumpline

Going to try a canoe tumpline this year, probably going to use it in conjunction with a yoke (instead of a thwart).  I already let the yoke slide down my back, between myself and my barrel pack when the pain gets too much, this puts the weight on my shoulder straps.  Adding a tumpline line to the mix doesn't seem like much of a leap...

Although I've used tumps before on packs, this is a first with a canoe, I'm looking for tips, stories or any other advice about canoe tumps before the snow melts and I start getting crafty....

3/23/2017 7:29 pm  #2

Re: Canoe Tumpline

Hey Kurt!

Ive been using a leather tump on my trips for 10 years now and cannot imagine portaging without it now.

It takes some messing around with to get it right but once you do, oh man its a dream (as close as portaging a canoe can get to a dream haha).

I use a one I made out of inch width veg tanned leather for the tails brass riveted to a wider piece of leather I cut and tapered for the headband.

When I tie it to the yoke I use a clove hitch on each side and the grip is plenty. I tend to tie it at the mid point between the end of the curve of the yoke and where it attaches to the gunwale, this way I can slid the clove hitch with one hand towards or away from the contour in the yoke to make fine adjustments while walking.

The extra length of the tails gets tied to the front seat and I hang them low enough so I can use them for stability with my arms pretty much at my side (so no numb shoulders)

The beauty of a tump (for me anyway) Is you can shift the load of the canoe from your neck to your shoulders when your neck gets tired and then back to your neck once your shoulders get tired. I went from being able to go about 750m-1 km with my 55 lb canoe before needing a rest to walking a 2km portage without stopping and without much pain.

With regards to how much length to give yourself you just have to play with it. I can pull mine out this weekend and rig it up to the canoe and send you some pics if you'd like?

Cheers!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

3/24/2017 8:04 am  #3

I expect you will enjoy the difference once you overcome the learning curve.  It takes some getting used to and some fine tuning but, similar to walking sticks, helps to distribute the load to a broader muscle group and extend your stamina.  It also takes some time to build up you "tump muscles" so work it in gradually and build up the amount of weight you carry with the line.  You will likely find that the tump line will cross your forehead a little higher than expected; instead of where the brim of a baseball hat would be, it tends to be a little higher.  You ultimately want the direction of the force to be as closely aligned with your spine as possible so you are minimizing the torque between your cranium and spine.

Another element I love is to use a slack painter line tied from bow to stern.  Similar to Coureur des Biere's description of using the extra length of the tails to assist with stability, the painter can be held by one hand in a semi-relaxed position (arm down, elbow bent between 90 and 150 degrees) to assist in lifting or dropping the bow during the carry.  This way, you can shift the positioning as you ascend or descend the trail and never really lift your arms to hold the canoe.  I find this extremely comfortable compared to hanging a hand on the gunwale during a carry.

3/24/2017 4:55 pm  #4

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic or two of that setup coureur.  Right now I use a rope on either side from the yoke to the front seat for control and I'd like the tumpline to take over that role, not too sure on the length though to make it work.  I usually use gloves for the ropes but I like the idea of sliding pads too.  I use a strip of that pipe insulator foam on my neck to give me an extra couple hundred metres of walking with the yoke, amazing stuff that foam is...

The next challenge is either buying one or getting the materials to make it, the few that I saw online seem too narrow for my taste, so some close up shots of the rigs you guys have would be appreciated!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.