You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2017 11:29 am  #1

Brent jump off sites

Planning a trip out of Brent in May with my 11 year old son and will be utilizing one of the jump off sites our first night. We are hoping to cook our dinner on the fire and just sleep in the van for the night.  
Can anyone tell me what the sites are like?  Do they have fire pits?

3/16/2017 11:45 am  #2

Re: Brent jump off sites

the outfitter "swift", the operator " jake" has a bunk house, very rustic, i have stayed there several times many years ago. good spot during bad weather. great spot to start your trip. 

3/16/2017 12:28 pm  #3

that's good to know, thank you...I may just go that route.   This is my first trip thru there so I'm not too familiar with the area.

We plan to be up there with enough daylight to explore the area a little bit before we start our trip.

3/16/2017 12:48 pm  #4

"big cedar " can be a very bad lake in the winds!  be mindful of the cold waters

3/16/2017 11:10 pm  #5

There seems to be two kinds of jump off sites at Brent.  By the put in there are two car camping sites that were marked as jump off.  They were pretty much regular car camping sites with a fire pit.  No trees to screen them but good enough for a night.  There are also a couple backcountry sites on the lake that are car accessible Jeff's map describes as jump off (by the rangers cabin and the cemetery) but when I was last there it seemed they were being used by car campers.

3/17/2017 10:10 am  #6

Thank you Keg.  That's the kind of info I was looking for. 

swedish pimple - I have read that about Cedar.  We plan to get on the water very early, heading towards Catfish.  Hence the reason for the jump off site.  So hoping for calm waters early morning.   Thank you for the advice.

3/17/2017 1:05 pm  #7

keg wrote:

There seems to be two kinds of jump off sites at Brent.  By the put in there are two car camping sites that were marked as jump off.  They were pretty much regular car camping sites with a fire pit.  No trees to screen them but good enough for a night.  There are also a couple backcountry sites on the lake that are car accessible Jeff's map describes as jump off (by the rangers cabin and the cemetery) but when I was last there it seemed they were being used by car campers.

Things must have changed.   Roughly four years ago I arrived at Brent several hours in advance of my Scout troop.  I had come early to get permits before the office closed and pick one of the jump off sites for the group.   What I found is that one jump off site was at the far west end of the campground behind an outhouse.   The campsite had been created by dumping a few loads of sand in a low spot and it was quite unappealing and certainly not suitable as a campsite.   The other jump off site was east of the town site and was small and on a steep slope -- again not at all usable by our group.  Fortunately, it was early may and there were not many campers around so we used the eastern most car camping sites instead of the jump off sites. 

3/22/2017 7:19 pm  #8

Hey Swift!

I've been heading out Brent for a few years now in the spring and my brother and law and I usually just camp on some of the crown land around the area (but we usually don't get up there till later the night before heading out so we need to hit the permit office at the start of Brent road first in the morning). 

We usually stay at one of the Brent campground sites for our last night before heading home at the end of the trip and in the spring we have NEVER seen anyone else camping there in 5 years. Sites have lots of flat space, parking spots, open fire pits in barrels dug into the ground with HEAVY duty grills. Has served us very well.

Thats another option and its worked out for us for many years.

Cheers!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

5/30/2017 11:58 am  #9

My son and I were there on May 6th and had a jump off site booked for that night.  I pulled into that little 'driveway' in your first pic and immediately had that sinking feeling...literally!   I backed the heck out of there and just parked off the side of the road on some higher ground near the parking lot and slept there for the night.  The whole place was a mud pit.  

We checked out the other jump off site at the far end of the campground and would have had to canoe down the little driveway leading into it. 

Saturday the 6th (the ground is a LOT softer then it looks:

Sunday morning (we parked just to the right of this pic):

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.