You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2017 10:33 am  #1

Canoe camping with kids recommendations

This will be our fourth year out with our kids who are now 12,9 and 7. We have always done 3 nights and have not done a loop yet. So far we have started at Ralph Bice, Rock, and Rain. We prefer going in on the West side. I am wondering about the Tim River. We don't go until later August. Is the Tim River too risky with low water levels at this time? We want the kids to enjoy themselves rather than pushing them too much so 700m portage seems to be our limit at this point. Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by Fsmith133 (3/15/2017 12:43 pm)

3/15/2017 11:42 am  #2

Re: Canoe camping with kids recommendations

Doesn't quite fit the bill with entering on the east side of the park (more south east), but I did a relaxing 3 night in and out last year at Booth Lake and wouldn't hesitate to do it again with kids. The five campsites on the north east shore have beautiful shallow walk out beaches which looked ideal for swimming. Plenty of wildlife viewing opportunities down McCarthy's creek with some other day trip options. If they're into fishing, pike and bass are plentiful in there as well.

3/15/2017 12:27 pm  #3

Tim R. on the East side? You mean West, right? It could be low before Rosebary, it depends, and many beaver dams before Queer portage. How far you expect to go on the river and which way take back?

3/15/2017 12:47 pm  #4

Yes West side. We were thinking of staying in rosebury. So from Tim Lake down into Rosebury and then back out.

3/15/2017 1:34 pm  #5

We have traveled down and back to Rosebury in late July with low water conditions aside from going up/over a few beaver dams we didn't have any issues

3/15/2017 3:13 pm  #6

Myself and a friend traveled to Rosebary in 2015 in the beginning of September.
We found it very scenic, the portage steep although not too long. The narrow part of the river after the portage was very winding and takes time, especially crossing the 6 beaver dams which were often anchored on both sides to floating masses, which didn't make it easy for us. If you're traveling in one larger canoe with all 5, making the sharp corners in the river may not be easy. Having all the kids get out, get yourselfs and a fully loaded canoe across the dams and keep everyone reasonably clean....yikes. There was one campsite close to the enormous beach on Rosebary, which was occupied when we were there. We had picked a small but grassy side  in a small bay which turned out to have a fantastic sandy bottom, shallow, an had narrow strip of sand along the side and was fantastic for keeping an eye out on any swimmers right from the campsite.
Our trip log is on the adventures website.(Tim river to Rosebary, I think the title is two old friends)
Trip is definitely doable, especially if the Kids are a bit experienced.

3/16/2017 11:09 am  #7

I realize this doesn't quite fit your parameters, but my paddling buddy and I took our kids (4 in total; ages 5, 6, 7 and 10) in at Rock Lake, first night on Pen L, then to Clydegale L. back to Rock L. then out.  It's not a loop, but the lakes are really nice ones to paddle, not too much wind (nice and narrow).  the Portage from rock to Pen is pretty easy and there is a cool waterfall/rapids to hang out at - we climbed the falls and it was beautiful (watch, it's slippery!).  The portage into Clydgale is also easy - we did a side/day trip into Welcome Lake and it was fun to explore the two sets of falls there too.  Fishing was so, so - perch and bass (Trip was 3rd week in July).  Good for kids to handle though as they were't too big and scary!

As a side note - if you have time and can traverse HWY 60, go to the logging museum.  It's worth visiting.

3/16/2017 1:02 pm  #8

a loop that incorporates the Petawawa from Daisy to Misty is well worth it.  I've done it in both directions with different combos of myself and my kids starting from Rain and Magnetawan.  Very scenic stretch, lots of opportunity for wildlife. 

The southern of the two island sites on Daisy is a great spot!

3/16/2017 3:42 pm  #9

As for the loop option: it's nice, but the Tim to Queer portage is not easy and far exceeds 700m limit. Also Ralph Bice could be quite a challenge on windy day.

3/17/2017 4:25 pm  #10

I am taking my family on a trip this summer, also in August, and I just right now reserved it.  I poured over the maps endlessly to find a trip that had moderate paddling, moderate carrying, and things of interest to see.  I know I won't have a lot of stern experience in the other boat, so I needed to watch the plan for that, and I just don't know how well everyone will do on the carries - plus I'm pretty sure I'll be the mule in addition to carrying both canoes.....  Anyway, I didn't find a lot of loops, but I found a couple of trips I found intriguing for, and maybe it helps you. 

We're going to enter on Rain, stay a couple of nights on Islet, and one more on Rain.  There are two carries, a 700 and a 450 to get to Islet, and then on the return trip the same.  On Rain and Islet, you've got access to the backpacking trails, and you've got smallmouth fishing in that whole area.  I know it isn't a loop though. 

I was also thinking of a loop that runs Magnetewan-Acme-Daisy-Bice-Hambone-Out.  That would include a pretty significant 1455 carry from Daisy to Bice, but, that would be the only carry of the day, and you do have a waterfall area you can explore east of Daisy if you stay there a day.  Those are trout lakes though, and I didn't want to frustrate my son with my trout-fishing incompetence at a tough time of year. 

Also not a loop, but I really enjoyed it - Magnetewan to David and back.  I really liked camping on David.  If you pushed on to Mubwayaka, which really isn't much of a push, you then have close access to David Creek.  The entrance way there is really, really pretty.  I have read that the creek gets low in patches late summer, but that could be pretty moosey area.  Longest carry there is around 650, from Bice to David, but of course you have the winds of change to watch on Ralph Bice.

Sorry for the lack of loops, but I hope this helps.

3/17/2017 8:13 pm  #11

Tim from the access point to the first portage (downstream of Tim Lake) is fine at any time. From the portage to Rosebary can sometimes get hairy in low water, though not every year. Lots of beaver dams.

The loop suggested by SwiftPaddler is a long time favourite of mine, but might be more portage-heavy than what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a light 4 day loop without long portages, what about Canoe-Tepee-Littledoe-Sunbeam-Burnt Island-the Joes-Canoe. If things are dry in August you'll have to get from Littledoe to Sunbeam via Tom Thompson and Willow, but if it's a wet summer there will be the shorter option of Blue Jay and Vanishing Pond. I've done the shorter version of this loop as a 3- and even 2-day trip, so with 4 days it definitely won't be a push. The big drawback is that of course it's a crowded access point and up to Tepee and Little Joe you'll be among cottages, lodges and summer camps, but it's nice once you get past that.

If you just want to base camp but are looking to make the first and last day's travel a loop, consider Smoke-Ragged-Claude-Smoke. Probably the easiest/most accessible loop in the park, though one portage is slightly longer than your specification. It will be a crowded area on an August weekend, but quite pretty, and Ragged Lake has plenty of little bays to tuck yourself into and find some privacy.

3/18/2017 5:41 am  #12

DanPM wrote:

If you're looking for a light 4 day loop without long portages, what about Canoe-Tepee-Littledoe-Sunbeam-Burnt Island-the Joes-Canoe. If things are dry in August you'll have to get from Littledoe to Sunbeam via Tom Thompson and Willow, but if it's a wet summer there will be the shorter option of Blue Jay and Vanishing Pond. I've done the shorter version of this loop as a 3- and even 2-day trip, so with 4 days it definitely won't be a push. The big drawback is that of course it's a crowded access point and up to Tepee and Little Joe you'll be among cottages, lodges and summer camps, but it's nice once you get past that.

I was going to suggest this as well. It's a great loop and Sunbeam in particular is a beautiful lake. No matter which way you go up the portages aren't that difficult, and the Joe Lake cliffs just north of the joe/canoe portage are a great spot to stop for lunch and a swim. One word of warning, if things are dry in August and Vanishing Pond has vanished, there's also a smaller pond between Bartlett and Willow that's going to eat up some time, but all in all it's a great route.

3/21/2017 12:56 pm  #13

A litter farther north, access#1 into North Tea Lake is quite nice. We went in a couple of years back, also in August with 5 kids ages 6-13. The Amable du Fond river does get low and a bit grassy that time of year but it is manageable and the portages are quite easy.
North Tea has a wide variety of choices of campsites ie..sites with beaches, some nice spots on islands. We spent a good part of the day at the falls that go into Manitou lake. I also hear that the ones at Hornbeam are quite nice as well.
We stayed at the first island site on the East Arm and did our day trips from there. The island is nice and you don't have to worry about the younger ones getting lost in the woods! There is a nice ledge for the kids to jump and swim from on the north west side.
The fishing was also fantastic for the kids!

Long time reader, first time posting!

Cheers

3/21/2017 8:35 pm  #14

Abe Froman wrote:

A litter farther north, access#1 into North Tea Lake is quite nice. We went in a couple of years back, also in August with 5 kids ages 6-13. The Amable du Fond river does get low and a bit grassy that time of year but it is manageable and the portages are quite easy.
North Tea has a wide variety of choices of campsites ie..sites with beaches, some nice spots on islands. We spent a good part of the day at the falls that go into Manitou lake. I also hear that the ones at Hornbeam are quite nice as well.
We stayed at the first island site on the East Arm and did our day trips from there. The island is nice and you don't have to worry about the younger ones getting lost in the woods! There is a nice ledge for the kids to jump and swim from on the north west side.
The fishing was also fantastic for the kids!

Long time reader, first time posting!

Cheers

Careful - North Tea can get awfully windy!

3/22/2017 8:36 am  #15

Having lived in South River for over 2 years, which is just a skip and a jump to Tim River access point.  At this time of year, no problem whatsoever getting from access point to Tim Lake.  Watch out for the many logs in the water that you pass by on your way to Tim. Keep on the RH shoreline and it will take you to the river to Rosebary Lake.  Unfortunately, I was there last year and there are a few beaver dams you have to haul your canoe over, but nothing serious.  Some nice speck fishing in Rosebary.  If you go in the summer, no problem getting to Tim Lake, but going down the river to Rosebary could be iffy.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

3/22/2017 8:55 am  #16

As for a 3 day loop trip, there are not too many easy ones on the west side because of long portages.  A real nice loop over 3 days (I have done it many times in 1 day) is starting from Kioshkokwi and going to Little Mink to Mink Lake to Club Lake (longest portage but pretty flat) and then begin your return trip via Waterclear to Whitebirch to Little Mink and back to Kioshkokwi.  Going this way means you don't have to climb a pretty steep hill to White Birch from Little Mink.  Your first portage from Kioshkokwi to Little Mink is a little uphill.   First night I would camp on Mink Lake or the site I mentioned below with the old truck on it,, 2nd night on Waterclear and or Whitebirch and then you are out.  I would rate this trip an easy one except for the long flat portage from Mink to Club Lake.  Nice scenery too.....at the end of the portage from Mink to  Club, there is an old building there with 3 sides still on it.  Turning right to head back and heading to Waterclear, on your right (still on Club Lake) you come to a campsite that has an old logging building that is flattened, has a nice root cellar, and also  has an old truck real close to the campsite.  Haven't been there in over 10 years, but I would think the building and old truck would still be there.

3/22/2017 9:26 am  #17

Probably the easiest loop in the park, but is on the east side on Baron Canyon Road.  Start at Sec Lake and portage 130m to Mallard Lake and half way down Mallard Lake on your RH side before it exits the Park, there is an easy bushwhack trip of about 100m that takes you back to Sec Lake and there are some really high cliffs here with eagle nests on them, and then you just paddle back to your starting point.  Excellent bass fishing all the way.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.