You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2017 7:39 pm  #1

Looking to purchase my first paddle... could use advice/opinions

I don't have my own canoe (don't have the money or space to justify the purchase), but I think it would be nice to get my own paddle. I'd like it to be something unique and personal, something that I can keep over the years and will have meaning to me. Budget is $100-200. I've done a bit of research and narrowed it down to 3 options...

1. Do the paddle making workshop from Bruce Smith Paddles. http://www.brucesmithpaddles.com/paddle-making-workshops.html

2. Custom built paddle with choice of blade, grip, wood, and custom engraving, from Haliburton Forest: http://paddles.haliburtonforest.com/build

3. Pick one up from the shelf of a store. If you think this is the best option, which brands to look into?

I would be using the paddle for tripping. My trips range from 2-7 nights, and are mostly in Algonquin, with some exceptions. Mix of solo and group. I'm thinking beaver tail blade with standard grip, and cherry wood.

My questions...

1. Does anyone have experience with either Bruce Smith Paddles or Haliburton Forest? Are they reputable brands with good quality paddles? I don't need top-tier, but would like something at least half decent.

2. Any advice against beaver tail/standard grip/cherry wood? Would you recommend a different wood to make it more 'unique', while still maintaining functionality and efficiency?

3. Anything else you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

2/20/2017 7:45 pm  #2

Re: Looking to purchase my first paddle... could use advice/opinions

It's such a person all thing. I would go with door number 1. It will be special because you made it. I have friends who made paddles with Bruce and love them. You may find you buy other paddles in the future. Experience will determine what they will be. I have 9 now.

2/21/2017 7:54 am  #3

I have a wide range of paddles and there are a lot of good options out there to choose from.  I have a Haliburton Forest paddle that I had custom done with engraving on it and it's a nice paddle.  It's voyageur design with the standard grip but if I had to do it again I'd choose a different grip as I felt the standard was too big.

Grey Owl has some nice paddles and MEC carries them, I have about four in different materials.

If you can find a Kettlewell floating around out there grab it.  Ray has retired from paddle making but for years those were my go to paddles.

Another option are Badger Paddles.  They're a solid paddle made in Muskoka and Algonquin Outfitters carries them

I just stumbled across Fishell Paddles and I think that might be my next purchase although I'm still in the market for a Bruce Smith and a colleague of mine loves his BS paddle.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

2/21/2017 9:51 am  #4

We don't have our own canoe either but got our own paddles a few years ago and it was an excellent decision. You don't notice how great a good paddle is until you switch to one from a worn rental. 

I have 2 Grey Owl Paddles. I have the Voyageur and the Cherry Tripper. The Voyageur is great if you're sitting bow and paddling short distances and want speed. I prefer the tripper if I'm going to be sitting stern and/or travelling all day. I don't get as tired as quickly with the tripper because of its slimmer blade. 

My husband did break his Voyageur paddle on a trip. It was entirely his own fault and the result of a poorly aimed log toss. It broke along the seams of the wood on the blade. We took it back to Grey Owl and they are fixing it as we speak. 

2/21/2017 10:55 am  #5

Tripper wrote:

If you can find a Kettlewell floating around out there grab it.  Ray has retired from paddle making but for years those were my go to paddles.

I'll second this. I love my Kettlewell paddles, still use one for every trip. I know Ray has retired, but Fishell Paddles bought his equipment and patterns. I haven't had the chance to try one out, but if they're half as good as Ray was then they're a good option.

2/21/2017 10:29 pm  #6

i have 12 paddles,   two original  1963 "chestnut canoe" paddles (with decals)  that came with my "chestnut" 1963, cedar strip canvas canoe and a cool cedar back rest that is propped up against the seat as the paddler or passenger is seated on the bottom of the canoe. 
     about 18 years ago in made my own paddle from black cherry.  according to the instructor the wood came from a "algonquin park" tree so it has a pedigree . the top of the paddle is shaped like a scottish thistle. the paddle will flex ever so slightly as i move it through the water. this paddle was made in a class offered by the "canadian canoe museum" in my home town. i made this paddle with a old fashion spoke shave tool, from a pre cut blank. two four hour sessions with a cost of $80.00  i think that the cost has doubled by now.
       two of my favourite paddles are made of" butter nut", very lite and very tough . these are made by "red tail paddles" from "hastings" ontario. "john bell" owner/operator. i worked with his brother  and he would bring paddles into work for people to look at and buy.
         "black walnut" wood paddles are very rich looking but warp easily. short life span.
 i have maple paddles , nice but heavy,,,,
        my go to paddle the last few years is a " red tail bent shaft" these look awkward, but these type of paddles seem to take strain off of my elbows and shoulders,,, very nice to use.
        to protect your paddle investment,, i cannot stress enough to hang the paddles up when not in use. i have several hung in a actual wood paddle hanger mounted on da wall, and others tied up hanging from the ceiling  rafters in my work shop, bore`s den. never lean the paddle on anything for extended time frame because it will warp!
       i hope that this helps,,,, but if you get a chance to make your own paddle , go for it.

2/22/2017 7:45 am  #7

Thanks for the responses everyone, it's been very helpful... it looks like the opinions are pretty varied, but a lot of suggestions to make my own/go with Bruce Smith. My only concern is that it will be almost twice the price compared to a custom Haliburton Forest. I guess I'll just have to decide for myself whether I can justify the extra cost.

Thanks again, and if anyone has more advice (especially Bruce Smith vs. Haliburton Forest), I'm all ears

algonquinbeyond.com

2/22/2017 1:18 pm  #8

Im going to have a custom haliburton forest paddle made for myself for my first "nice" paddle for my collection.  Personal engravings are only $10.  So many customization options it is so hard to choose from them.  Lots of wood options.  The idea of having a one of a kind paddle i designed made for me with my family name engraved into the wood is too hard to pass up.

3/09/2017 11:49 am  #9

You asked about beaver tail blades.  In the late 80's, I bought two from a guy somewhere around Kearney, who made them.  They are cherry, solid, the blades are wide and long.  The shafts are narrow, that isn't always nice. Last year I had to repair a couple of blade cracks, but not complaining after nearly 30 years of service.  The paddles draw an enormous amount of water, so anything I do can be done fast - bracing, avoiding, prying, speeding, fighting wind, etc.  The thing is, they are heavy.  Last year on my solo trip, my elbows arrived at the park pre-ruined, and I had to switch to my plan B paddle.

I have two Plan B paddles.  One from a garage sale the other I found in a river.  Both are old. I don't know the wood, but they feel great, are extraordinarily light, flexible, and were easy to sand and finish for use.  They don't draw as much water as the beaver tails, but they are easier on my elbows.  This may be an option for you.  It is pretty cool to hold a paddle in your hand that you have a little of yourself invested in.

Lastly, in my very early canoeing days with the scouts, one of the guys who would come had a hollow-shafted paddle.  It weighed nothing, but he had been using it forever.  The reason it was memorable was that he put a sticker on the blade with the month/year of every trip he had taken with it.  He added to it every year, and sealed it with varnish or polyurethane or whatever.  The blade was covered.  That could be a fun thing to do.

3/09/2017 12:01 pm  #10

I highly recommend Badger Paddles. Great people and great paddles! They are a small company near Huntsville and operate from their home/garage. Check them out http://badgerpaddles.com/paddles/Welcome.html

Here is a picture of my collection which needs to be updated, I have acquired a few new ones since.

3/09/2017 12:21 pm  #11

@ATVenture the first step is admitting that you have a paddle addiction. Ha.

They are beauties...and the boat isn't too shabby either...

3/09/2017 1:41 pm  #12

I own a Bruce Smith Classic. Great deep water paddle. No experience with Haliburton Forest

I've been eyeing this bent for a while. Expensive though..Only 12 - 14 ozs  and a wood/carbon blend. If you sign up to their website you get a 20% off coupon sent to you.

http://sanborncanoe.com/products/nessmuk

Might go with a FoxWorx for a bent blade as I have heard good things and they are cheaper and still really light.

I have a Sawyer Voyager that I really like. Sawyer leaves a lot of their grips natural.( as it appears Sanborn does as well) That is something I have come to appreciate but a paddle and all these little types of things are so personal.

Last edited by ShawnD (3/09/2017 4:58 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

3/09/2017 1:46 pm  #13

Bending branches has a nice carbon wood hybrid too . Very nice but pricey for sure.

4/13/2017 9:59 am  #14

Hey Trippythings

Not sure if you are still looking but if you are one other option for you.

I wanted to see if a custom paddle maker would replicate a paddle from a manufacturer for me. In wood instead of the very expensive Carbon or Fiberglass options the paddle comes in.

Found a guy in Oshawa. He matched the specs of the paddle.. blade dimensions and bend angle. Plus he left the grip natural for me so I could oil it myself. ( much prefer a natural grip)

Makes his paddles out of cedar so they are pretty light for wood.

Received it yesterday. Looks pretty Sweet IMO. Anyway 1 other custom option for you.

He does straight and bent and was open to customizing anything and price is in your wheel house.

His link on Kijijji with other pics http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=438318945&requestSource=b

left the grip natural for me.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/14/2017 10:24 am  #15

Thanks for the advice Shawn... I still haven't gotten one yet, so I'll definitely look into it.

algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.