You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2017 12:16 pm  #1

New Trip Report Online! (TR 39: Crooked Chute Cabin & The Natch)

Hello Algonquin Adventures!

A little something for the long weekend - I have published another trip report on TOURduPARK today. It details a 4 day trip to Algonquin's east side, entering at Lake Traverse and travelling to Crooked Chute & beyond. Not much in the way of wildlife - but some very beautiful scenery can be found in this section of Algonquin.

Hope you enjoy the read & photos!

TR 39: Crooked Chute Cabin & The Natch

Some Preview Pics:

Last edited by Peek (2/20/2017 7:26 pm)

2/16/2017 2:49 pm  #2

Re: New Trip Report Online! (TR 39: Crooked Chute Cabin & The Natch)

Peek I totally love reading your trip reports!  I did the Petawawa back in the 80's and had a very scary incident and haven't white water canoed since.  Looking at those pics and videos sure brings back some memories!  Oh and I couldn't agree more about seeing smoke coming from a chimney in a cabin...love it!

2/16/2017 7:03 pm  #3

How tough of a paddle is it back upstream from crooked chute and the natch? I've always had it in my head that heading down that part of the Petawawa would have to end up down at McManus.

2/16/2017 7:58 pm  #4

Upstream paddling is definitely an art. Reading the river and knowing where to be is essential.  When you know what you're looking for its not as hard as you think. The  back eddy is your friend. If you ever get a chance, take a lesson or catch one of Bob Vincent's clinics. Look him up. It will change the way you plan future routes. You will never avoid a route again due to an upstream section. You will probably seek them out to impress your unknowing tripping partners. Great report yet again.

Last edited by Shayne74 (2/16/2017 7:59 pm)

2/17/2017 9:13 am  #5

Steve – really glad you’re enjoying the reports man – I always love reading about your adventures in a hot tent and of course the outstanding photography that goes with it. Time for you to get back down the Pet I’d say. And yea, totally love the smoky cabin chimneys. Wish I was there, right now.

Basil – welcome to the forum. I’ve enjoyed your posts so far and look forward to more. You seem to be of sound reason and logic. The paddle back from the Natch (to Travers) really depends on the time of year. That being said, I’ve been ‘there and back’ four times now, three of which took place in various October’s and once in July. Of the three times I was there in an October, two times the water was very low and typical of that time of year – but in 2015 the warden warned us that the river was flowing at near spring levels. That year it was a bit more challenging to paddle back, and there were one or two spots where river walking/lining was required (Between Big Thompson Raps and Little Thompson Raps).The other two times I did the ‘there and back’ trip, I was solo – so it’s not that hard. Granted I was using a pack canoe and a double blade, but I think it would have been just as do-able had I been using a traditional canoe and paddle. Shayne has it right – back eddy’s are your friend – sometimes you don’t even have to paddle much to move up river, sounds weird but if you get in the back eddy it does most of the work for you. Though I’m not usually a fan of ‘there and back’ type of trips, this one is a no brainer. The scenery between The Natch and McManus is pretty boring – all the good stuff is over by then – so to me its not worth the logistic hassle of two vehicles/access points when the scenery ends at a point where you can simply turn around and go back the way you came – seeing all the awesomeness again, from a different perspective.

Shayne – solid advice on the river travelling, couldn’t agree more. Glad you enjoyed the read!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.