You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2017 4:28 pm  #1

Hot tenting and the Minnesing trail

Hi gang, I'm cross posting this from the Hiking forum because this part is a bit more well-trod.

I'm trying hot tenting for the first time this weekend and I'm wondering if there's anything you wish someone had told you before your first time playing with a stove inside your tent?

Also, our plan is to snowshoe down the Minnesing trail, set up near any moving water we can find (always like a bubbling creek, plus it's easier to grab water than melting it), then probably hike back along our path Sunday.  Is walking clockwise a faux pas on an ungroomed trail or should we struggle up hills with our polks?

Thanks,
Ian

1/23/2017 5:24 pm  #2

Re: Hot tenting and the Minnesing trail

We've often done the hiking trails etc backwards.  I don't personally think it's an issue but I might be wrong.  I would always yield right of way to hikers coming the "correct" direction but that trail doesn't get a ton of skiers on it as compared to the other ski or hiking trails.

1/24/2017 9:20 pm  #3

Re: Hot tenting and the Minnesing trail

As you may be aware you're not allowed to camp on a shoreline in Algonquin in the winter, presumably that includes creeks. Legally the minimum distance is 30 m, so I suppose you could camp just that far from a river to have access to water.

But melting snow means not having to treat it, and I doubt you'd want to use a pump filter in the winter, so there's that.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.