You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2017 11:20 am  #1

PANIC! Or, more accurately, that slightly frenzied feeling.

We were x-country skiing in Algonquin over New Years and had an interesting experience. We were out on a 15km ski on semi-backcountry trials. We stopped to enjoy our packed lunch and selected a sheltered spot under a tree protected from the falling snow with a nice log for us to sit on. 

We put on a warmer layer as soon as we stopped and enjoyed a quick lunch. We started packing up quickly as we were getting cold. My gloves were damp from the snow and sweat and my hands were really cold. We were all packed up but I couldn't get my skis on; the bindings were frozen. 

It didn't take very long to warm them up and clear the ice out with a multi-tool but the cold made us both quite frenzied (me more so than my husband). Neither of us panicked but we certainly felt that uncomfortable sense of fear. 

I think the combination of cold and being quite far from base camp combined to muddle our brains a bit. It's amazing how quickly you can go from Enjoying The Outdoors to OMG We Might Die Here. 

Anyone else have any stories of this happening?

Any tips on how to work through the feeling? 

For me, a good mantra usually helps. It seems kind of silly but sometimes I repeat to myself (either in my head or out loud), "You know what you're doing. You got this."

It also helps to be prepared. Next time, I will be sure to have a pair of warmer mittens for when we stop. 

1/13/2017 12:53 pm  #2

Re: PANIC! Or, more accurately, that slightly frenzied feeling.

I know the feeling you are talking about. All of the sudden the reality of cold sets in even if are not overly cold at that time. Sometimes when camping and somebody says "I am cold" there is a suddenly serious talk of  "like you need another layer cold, so cold another layer is not going to help, need to do physical activity cold, need to get in a sleeping bag cold, didn't bring the right clothing and need to go home cold" or are you simply stating that "its cold outside"?  

I haven't had it in awhile, but on a recent trip, I snowshoed/hiked into the Stratton Lake area with somebody who had never winter camped before and I suspect had never traveled back country at night. We left on a Friday at lunch knowing we would likely be hiking in light but setting up in the dark. But soon as it started to get dark my companion seemed get very insistent we find a place to camp, anywhere to camp immediately because it was cold outside. I am pretty sure they suddenly realized that there was no warm sanctuary. It was all fine in the end. You are only as warm as the gear you brought + the activity you are doing.

1/13/2017 1:43 pm  #3

start a fire and brew up some bush tea!!!
    as the scouts say "be prepared"
          that is why i use (wear) wool garments,, warm when wet eh!   

1/13/2017 2:42 pm  #4

All the thumbs up to Swedish Pimple's wool recommendation. I was wearing wool socks on the 1st 15km ski day and my feet were very comfortable. It wasn't until we got back to the lodge that I realized that they had been wet (I don't have the greatest ski boots). But I stayed warm because of the wool. 

The next day, we only did about 7km and my socks were only about 60% wool and my feet were cold! Not dangerous-cold but uncomfortable-cold.

1/13/2017 2:46 pm  #5

APPaul - that serious conversation sometimes needs to happen about more than cold.

"When you say tired, do you mean you're not going to be safe carrying the canoe or does it mean you're excited to get to camp"

When you say hungry, do you mean we should stop on the next lake over or that you need that BAR STAT!"

Knowing your own limits is a huge learning curve in backcountry camping. The food one was tough for me to learn. When we first started tripping I wouldn't notice I was hungry until I was nearly getting light headed. I'm much more aware of what my body needs now. 

1/14/2017 9:11 am  #6

been hot and cold camping for decades, and snowshoeing since I could walk! What  I'm going to tell you will sound painful and nasty, but it works!
Carry a small piece of plastic or waxed canvas (I prefer the canvas, it doesn't blow around) with you (about 2x3') and bring TWO extra pairs of socks and a small towel I used a tea towel when I was a kid, now there's micro fibre. When you stop for lunch, roll out the canvas, park your butt on it, pull off your boots one at a time, and yank of that wet sock (yeah, the cold air burns! that's the sucky part), and dry it well with the towel, now pull on both pairs of socks, and plant each foot on the canvas- you can flip it over your foot if windy. After doing both feet, wipe out your boots with the towel, and pull off the extra socks (save for a reserve), and put your boots back on. Now you have dry feet (towel and air dried), dry socks, and dry boots, and your feet get a rest to boot, and getting off them allows better blood flow to the soles which warms them considerably. You can do the same with your hands- cold gloves off, dry the hands, fresh gloves on- and the flexing pumps blood to the tips!

1/14/2017 1:34 pm  #7

@CanoeClaire, your right, there are times where somebody says something that could either be easily fixed in a bit or needs to be dealt with immediately.

It's nice when you are tripping with people you know well. It makes it easier. If my wife says she is hungry, I know it means she is crashing and I likely will shortly after so we should stop eat and drink. I also know that if she says she is cold, it's not just a chill.

@scoutergriz, I also agree, pulling off boots summer or winter, air drying/switching socks and then letting your feet rest outside the boot definitaley feels good. I often pull out the insole as well and direct my boots into the wind.

I just got home from a long snowshoe/hike.16k in cold dry conditions and my socks and boots were all damp from the sweat.

1/16/2017 7:38 am  #8

Hi folks, this is a very interesting thread.

When I go on long day hikes, I like to pack some emergency type items: emergency blanket (that can also be used as a tarp or windblock), some firestarting material and a lighter, a few extra Cliff bars, an extra clothing layer, basic first aid, etc. I find that just having that sort of thing with me gives me an added layer of confidence.

I can't wear wool as I have an allergy to it, but I do find that polyester sock liners and base layers keep me from getting damp and cold, providing I have been taking care to add and remove mid and outside layers when necessary.

Tracy

1/16/2017 10:23 am  #9

@scoutergriz - Your system sounds painful in the cold but also really effective. I'll have to try it!

@Blobsquatch - My husband and I discussed this as well. We had our first aid kit with us and our "ditch kit" which has an emergency blanket and fire starters and lighters. We think we may have been a bit more comfortable if we had beefed it up a bit for winter outings. 

I think the big thing for us was recognizing that even though we're only going out for the day - as opposed to many days - we need to be more prepared in the winter as emergencies can be amplified by cold temps. We have lots of experience in 3-season weather but we'll need to think a bit more about emergency prep for that beloved 4th season. 

1/16/2017 10:58 am  #10

I pack heavy, even for day trips. I'm not sure how much of that is due to natural inclination versus how much is lessons learned. One occasion I remember is a spring fishing trip where we day tripped up to Welcome from Pen. It was a beautiful 20C+ day and a couple of the guys just went in t-shirts. Of course, that guaranteed it would cool off in the afternoon and they were getting cold before we left Welcome to head back. Between the portage and the paddle that was at least another couple of hours back to camp. It was all good in the end, but another reminder to keep the extra layers with you. 

My general goal is to have 1 more layer with me than I need by the end of the day or trip. From one perspective that can be seen as carrying more gear than I needed. From my perspective, it means I always have a margin of safety. It's when I'm wearing every layer that I have with me and still getting cold that I'm potentially in trouble. 

I think cross country skiing tends to push folks towards risky behaviour because there is a tradition of dressing lightly for the vigorous exercise. However, something as simple as a twisted ankle on a short 30-60 minute trail can become deadly. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.