You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/31/2016 11:02 am  #1

Sore Hips/Shoulders and Numb Arms

Does anyone experience sore hips and shoulders or their arms falling asleep while they sleep?  I spend most of my nights in a hammock so I don't really notice this however when I winter camp I sleep on my pad (a very thick Thermarest Mondo-King).  I find when I sleep on a pad I wake up several times a night and literally can't feel my arm(s) as they have gone totally numb, and my hips and shoulders are super sore.  

Any suggestions or do I just need to chalk this up to "getting old"?

12/31/2016 11:46 am  #2

Re: Sore Hips/Shoulders and Numb Arms

Hi Steve, I too get occasional sore hips on my generally comfy ThermaRest NeoAir Xtherm Max. I experience numb arms if I have another part of my body resting on them (e.g. head), or if they are in certain positions. I find moving my arm slightly relieves the issue.
This is sort of thing is certainly newer to me, I never noticed this happening until the past couple of years. I am in my mid-50's for reference.

Last edited by Blobsquatch (12/31/2016 11:48 am)

12/31/2016 2:08 pm  #3

Thanks Blobsquatch (great name by the way!) I'm wondering if perhaps I have my pad inflated too much?  It's 4 inches thick so I don't think I'm going to find a thicker (winter rated) pad for sleeping on.  I wonder if I deflate it a bit more if that might help?  I also can't stick my arms under my pillows like I do in my own bed (because of the hood on my bag) so I'm wondering if that is causing me to sleep in an unusual way.   

1/03/2017 8:18 am  #4

Hi Steve,

Good point about the pad inflation. I do inflate it fully, then deflate it partially until I get the most comfort. This definitely helps with the hips.

Tracy

1/03/2017 8:50 am  #5

Are you a side sleeper? I sleep on my side at home but struggle to make it comfortable in my sleeping bag; my hips take the brunt of it. As a result, I often adjust to sleeping on my back while camping. I find elevating my feet with my pack or clothes in a stuff sack helps me from rolling over in my sleep. Elevating my feet also helps if I've been doing a lot of hiking or portaging that day. 

1/03/2017 9:08 am  #6

I try to make sure that the head-end of my tent is slightly higher. A low head while sleeping can cause a restless sleep and can also cause 'acid-reflux'.

I also determine where my hip will be, before putting up the tent. I scoop out a shallow (1"+) depression in the ground material where my hip will be. It provides a bit of room under my sleeping pad to accommodate my hip.

1/03/2017 5:44 pm  #7

Good tips guys, at this point I'll try anything!  Thanks

1/04/2017 6:05 am  #8

If by chance your arms are folded or not straight it can lead to numbness in your arms hands and fingers.  I had Carpel tunnel in both my hands and keeping my arms straight helps with that. But while sleeping I tend to fold them again.

1/08/2017 12:10 pm  #9

Hey Steve

I've noticed Helinox makes about 4 different versions of cots now. One as light as 2.6 lbs. They get great reviews from people with hip issues etc.

Many people seem to bring the cot and a  mattress together for ultimate comfort. Plus in the winter you would have to as I suspect the R value of the cot alone isn't very high. They aren't cheap but if it's a real issue likely worth it, if the weight penalty doesn't bother you.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/08/2017 4:05 pm  #10

I actually just won a Coleman cot in a contest and was wondering if that would work.  My only concern is if it would be colder in winter use because of the air flow underneath it.  I wonder if it's worth a shot?  Thanks ShawnD

Russ I'll try the arm thing as well

1/08/2017 6:57 pm  #11

I think ppl already mentioned it but un crossing your arms may help.

I have hip issues. And the Dr and physiotherapist both told me that any joints that are in 90 degrees or more for extended periods of time is bad for them. For example sitting with knees up or sleeping in a fetal position.

As a result I now use a sit-stand desk at work and try and keep my legs fairly straight when sleeping. It took some getting used too, but now I am used to it. Although my hips still have an inherent problem, i don't get the same issues as before.

1/09/2017 1:27 pm  #12

I have the mondo as well, but sore hips and shoulders still persist. I'm no youngster. This past fall I shoved my life jacket under the mattress at shoulder height and my daughters under where my hip is. I am a side sleeper. I had to also lift my pillow a bit, which i did by shoving my clothes bag under it. Problem totally fixed. 

1/09/2017 2:01 pm  #13

I may have to try putting something under it as well...You'd think a 4" mattress would do the trick but apparently not!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.