You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2016 8:15 am  #1

Rules on western upland trail

Hello all, planning on spending 2 nights in the park during Christmas break with my daughter. Thinking about pulling our sled with hot tent into western upland trail to one of the first campsites on trail, are we allowed to camp at a designated site? or shall we just find another suitable spot and set up? We planned just to stay for 2 nights and do a base camp along the trail, I remember from years ago that the beginning of the trail going counter clock wise is relatively flat, thus an easy pull in.
thanx
jim

12/15/2016 9:03 am  #2

Re: Rules on western upland trail

During the winter you may NOT camp on a designated site, or within 30 meters of a trail or lake shore. You can hike the trail but you'll have to scramble a little ways into the bush to set up camp.

12/15/2016 12:03 pm  #3

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/winter-in-algonquin-park.php

Winter backcountry camping is not permitted on designated summer campsites, marked on the Canoe Routes Map or Backpacking Trails Map, or within 30 metres of a lakeshore, trail, or portage.

Winter Guide
 http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/pdf/winter_guide_algonquin_park.pdf

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (12/15/2016 12:09 pm)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

12/15/2016 5:09 pm  #4

gothcha

2/05/2017 10:13 am  #5

Hi all. Question about the WUBT but didn't want to start a new thread seeing this was at the top.

In Jeff's Map, it shows at the beginning of the trailhead near highway 60 that the area may flood in the spring. Is that the trail itself flooding, or does that have to do with the canoe route going through there?

Thanks.

2/05/2017 11:18 am  #6

I've been through there in spring. With spring runoff and high water on the oxtongue the area floods impeding access to the trail. Not sure how much of the trail would be affected. I wouldn't think it would be much further the trail head itself but would of course depend on water levels. I can't recall but I seem to remember the Parking  area itself pretty wet too.

2/05/2017 11:36 am  #7

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the note about flooding refers to the WUBT parking area and Oxtongue River crossing. In the past few years the park has been fairly aggressive about closing backcountry camping in areas affected by flooding, so I'm guessing if you're allowed to go on the trail, the flooding probably isn't too much of an issue?

BTW, given that there are only 3 backpacking trails in the park, it's probably no big deal if the top two threads on the backpacking trip planning subforum are about the same one

2/05/2017 4:24 pm  #8

Thanks for the replies. 

2/05/2017 7:34 pm  #9

The flooding advisory is for the trail itself and only applies to the beginning section, prior to the clockwise/counterclockwise fork. It's a low lying area that often gets a little flooded with the spring runoff but we're not talking about anything unnavigable. There are raised plank walkways to keep you above the water for the most part but test before you step for stability. Here are some pics from a May trip - not a bad year. At worst we are talking about a foot deep. If it looks like it will be over the top of your boots, well, you know what you gotta do.  

It's all good!

Dave

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.