You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2015 7:42 am  #1

Sleeping Pad for October Camping

Myself and 2 buddies are doing a loop from October 8th to 12th this year. I was wondering what your experiences we're at this time of year regarding a sleeping pad. The ground will be much cooler than in mid summer and I'd like to go in with some confidence I won't freeze my butt off all night.

Thank you!

8/27/2015 7:56 am  #2

Re: Sleeping Pad for October Camping

Look at the R-factor of the sleeping pad.  The higher the number the better. My pad is a 4.9 and works good in the winter

8/27/2015 7:56 am  #3

Any proper sleeping pad will do for mid October - the ground will be cold but not frozen/snowy, and thermarests etc are intended to provide some insulation from cold soil. Just make sure you're using good 3-season sleeping bags and pack more warm socks than you think you'll need. I've woken up to ice in the nalgene and icicles on the tent fly around that time of year.

8/27/2015 9:58 am  #4

Sleeping pads are rated in R-values which measures the thermal heat resistance of the pad - the higher the rating, the more insulation from cold it provides. For 3-season use a R-3 or better would be best. So, if you are renting, this would be what you will want to get. If you already have a self-inflating pad like a Therm-a-Rest you should be fine. If you want to be safe, pair it up with a closed-cell pad which will also act as a backup in case of a puncture. Even two closed-cell pads (which have a R-value of about 1.5) together will do the job.

Some other tips that can make a big difference in you comfort:

- Do NOT sleep in the clothes you wore during the day. Have a sleep dedicated set of clothing (socks, long undies, t-shirt, fleece). Even if they feel dry, your day clothes have moisture in them that will chill you.

- Wear a touque. Makes all the difference.

- A Nalgene bottle of hot water encased in a sock and placed into your sleeping bag ten of fifteen minutes before you climb in is sometimes very welcoming.

Dave

8/27/2015 10:16 am  #5

Awesome! Thanks guys!

8/27/2015 3:53 pm  #6

I have an older thick terma rest that does a fine job till About -5c, topped with a down sleeping bag. IVe never been cold nor damp yet, but, i do have a fair amount of condensation beween THE tent Floor and THE termarest. Keep iT in mind,as on wet ,cold dAys it may worry yoU. Normally, THE termarest Will dry Quickly.

Wanda S

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.