You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2016 4:23 pm  #1

Grand Lake Nov 13 - 16

I was about to take a friend into Grand or Carcajou until she heard that the road and surrounding area from Sand Lake Gate to the Achray turnoff was in an active hunting area.  Is she being paranoid?  Apparently all the way over to Opeongo is active hunting territory.

If staying clear of that area is a good idea any ideas of something accessible with safe parking from Highway 60?
I was thinking of Opeongo and checking out Costello for moose. Another idea was putting in at Lake of Two Rivers and heading down to Rock or Pen. (I heard that the road into Rock is now a little hairy because of logging trucks.)  BTW, are logging trucks active 7 days a week or are weekends clear.

We're on the east side of the park and I would rather spend my time in a canoe rather than my truck.
Thanks in advance. 
Ted

Last edited by TedSolo (11/06/2016 4:25 pm)

It's not the age nor the strength of the body that's important, it's strength of spirit that counts.

11/06/2016 6:37 pm  #2

Re: Grand Lake Nov 13 - 16

Rock lake road is not a logging road so no issues there. Its a dead end after the campground at the Booth's Rock trail. The hiking trail parking lot across the highway has a logging road running through it though. I wouldn't be paranoid about the Achray area though. I just got back the other day from a 3 day trip starting at the Brigham access on the Barron River.

11/06/2016 9:41 pm  #3

I spend a few days at crotch lake/farm lake in September. ( east side of AP)
The access point lies directly on an active logging road, and the trucks could easily be heard at the crotch lake campsites when they needed to stop for the stop sign at the permit office. However, they did not work past Friday afternoon, at which time  locked the gates  on the logging road  at the stop sign so no one had access to the logging  road by vehicle. As well,the Costello river, accessible at a bridge ( towards opeongo) is only about a three quarter of an hour paddle to the outfitter.

11/07/2016 9:49 am  #4

In some past years, during the fall and winter,  there has been logging truck use of the Rock Lake road. The logging road system, from the south, ties in to the Rock Lake road by way of the old railway bridge at the south end of Whitefish Lake, just north of the campground road continuation of the old railroad bed. This year's AFA work schedule map doesn't show it being used this fall or winter.
http://algonquinforestry.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/AWS_Webmap.pdf

However, considering the comment that trucks are using the road, I suggest you call the AFA Huntsville office and get an update .. 705-789-9647.  Or, the AFA Pembroke ofice .. 613-735-0173 .

11/07/2016 2:34 pm  #5

Anyone know what the transition date is from Fall to Winter in relation to the logging activities?

11/07/2016 6:48 pm  #6

thanks for the responses everyone.  All is calm now - appreciated.
Ted

It's not the age nor the strength of the body that's important, it's strength of spirit that counts.

11/22/2016 11:33 pm  #7

Update?

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.