You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2016 6:47 pm  #1

Where too next week? (Optimum fall color!)

I can leave either Monday or i might have to wait until Tuesday until Friday. Looking to head to an area in the park dominated by mostly poplar and birch (or anywhere that seems to peak later than others). Will be doing the Barron River/Canyon the following weekend with a friend so I'll be staying away from that area for this trip. Going solo as usual so small lakes are preferred! Thanks!

10/14/2016 7:06 pm  #2

Re: Where too next week? (Optimum fall color!)

If you are going to be travelling through small lakes, you'll probably still see plenty of color on ports and in the understorey of sugar maple stands, even though the peak has passed in the tallest trees. Eg. these photos with this sort of color still showing, after the main SM peak.

If you want to see how poplars and and birches are doing (some poplars still might be green), off the top of my head there should be plenty of those visible on the west side in the small lakes west of Burnt Island lake, on the north shore of Galeairy, and around Shirley... and plenty of poplars and birches scattered throughout most of the east side... good luck.

10/14/2016 8:02 pm  #3

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Great pics, you just made me feel a lot more hopeful! Here in North Bay my backyard just peaked today (birch dominated, but still lots of green poplar like you said). Doing a day trip tomorrow with my dogs to Kiosk then off to T.O. in the afternoon, will be back Sunday.. canoeing starting Monday.

10/15/2016 7:56 am  #4

Another way to check on the progress of poplars in the park is with the AP webcam... many of the trees next to the viewing platform and in the panorama are poplars and they're still green this morning although lightening up into a lime green.

PS... the forecast for Tues, Wed and Thurs is patchy clouds and sun so things could get pretty interesting with photography... hope for the best with no high winds to tear off the leaves, looking forward to your pix.

10/15/2016 10:16 am  #5

Kiosk this morning... Oak is almost peak, Maple slightly past but not all bare, Poplar still green, some slightly yellow, Birch is mostly yellow.

10/21/2016 7:58 am  #6

Shall Lake Road on the 20th.

10/21/2016 3:31 pm  #7

Wow, lots of colour still hanging on there. That's quite a surprise, considering the rain and wind that has occurred.

Thanks for the picture, token.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.