You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2016 10:55 am  #1

Walking Service Roads, etc.

Just a quick question.  Is it against park rules to walk along the Park service roads from Hwy 60?  I'm thinking of  roads like ones near the Tea Lake Dam, across from Mew Lake, etc?  I know you can't drive along those roads but are you allowed to walk them?

The rules state: Roads not shown on the Canoe Routes of Algonquin Provincial Park map-brochure are closed to unauthorized travel. A Park permit is not authorization to travel on a closed road.

I guess the question would be, does the term "unauthorized travel" include walking?

10/13/2016 6:24 pm  #2

Re: Walking Service Roads, etc.

By my understanding it does not include walking, you can walk wherever you want. But not drive, bike or even tow a canoe cart. I'm pretty sure I'm correct with respect to logging roads, and I have trouble imagining that service roads would be any different. Of course mine is just a layperson's opinion and comes with all the standard disclaimers.

10/14/2016 2:09 pm  #3

Thanks DanPM I appreciate your insight!

4/12/2017 4:46 pm  #4

I feel the same way.....walking on service roads is OK.  But if it is not, first they have to catch you. LOL

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/12/2017 5:51 pm  #5

The road into the Wildlife Research Station across from Mew Lake is definitely closed to the public. Similarly the Arrowhon Road had a quite clear sign on it when I was last there stating that it was closed to the public. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.