You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/28/2016 12:31 pm  #1

Late Sept Mizzy Lake Hiking!

Last minute planning for a Mizzy Lake hike - can't wait.  My wife and I are going to jet up to Algonquin this weekend, hopefully find a tent site along 60 last minute.  We want to hike Mizzy (rain or shine) Saturday morning!!

Is it odd that the ontarioparks reservation system does not show reservable sites on weekend?

Wish us luck! I hope to come back with an interesting report and picture -- our goal is to run into some fall colours (guaranteed) and wildlife (other than chipmunks!).

Fingers crossed for decent weather!

9/28/2016 2:40 pm  #2

Re: Late Sept Mizzy Lake Hiking!

The Ontario Parks website should show available sites for the weekend.  You are close to peak colour season so I would assume that if the sites are showing as not available for the weekend it is because they are in-fact booked.  If you get up at a decent time on Friday you would probably be able to get a non-reserveable but just be aware that you might be out of luck if they are all taken.

Good luck with the hike that's one of my favourites!

9/28/2016 2:53 pm  #3

Thanks for the note!  Yeah it's odd the way the reservation system looked when you check the availability map...booked sites are marked red, but weekends were all unreservable...at least from what I saw.  Just checked again and there are several non-electric options for Friday...I hope they stay that way.

We're planning on getting up there at 12pm, so if there isn't anything available, then we'll just hike and head home...all good!  Really would rather hitting the trail at sunrise though!

Can't wait - this is the only hike I've never done.

Last edited by Oakvillian (9/28/2016 2:58 pm)

9/28/2016 3:09 pm  #4

If there are a few sites left I would suggest booking one that way you don't have to worry about it (that's just my opinion though).  What campground were you looking at?  Hope you get to see some nice colours and wildlife!  It's certainly a great trail for that!

9/28/2016 5:50 pm  #5

Are the sites you're seeing on CAMIS yellow or red? Yellow means unreservable, red means booked (or closed). The booking system definitely works normally for weekends, but peak fall colours weekend is typically a busy one.

Steve E wrote:

If you get up at a decent time on Friday you would probably be able to get a non-reserveable

I wouldn't count on that... if people show up on Wednesday or Thursday and register the site for multiple days (though the weekend), which I think is fairly common, there won't be anything available on Friday no matter what time you get there. Not sure if others have experience doing the walk-in thing on a high-season weekend?

9/28/2016 6:27 pm  #6

Ya I think DanPM is right...I was thinking about a few years back off season when you could arrive on a Friday and still get a good selection of non-reservables....but with the colours being close to peak it could be a total zoo there...

9/28/2016 6:41 pm  #7

You guys make a compelling argument...maybe I'll take a look now!  Was thinking Canisbay, Mew or 2 rivers...just for 1 night, so not very picky as long as we aren't stuck beside a latrine.
Thanks for the comments and advice.

Update -- Booked into Two Rivers...Can't wait.

Last edited by Oakvillian (9/28/2016 7:00 pm)

9/28/2016 8:14 pm  #8

I think you'll be glad you booked...for the $12 you can relax and KNOW that you have a place to call home for the night

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.