You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/18/2016 3:17 pm  #1

Sleeping Pad of Choice

I'm looking to purchase a sleeping pad. Up until now I've never used one, but thinking it might be nice to change that.

I've been considering the Nemo Cosmo Air Large, but at $179.99 I'm not sure whether or not I want to take the leap. The only Canadian retailer that I can find selling it is SAIL. https://www.sail.ca/en/nemo-cosmo-air-grand-347341

I'm wondering what you guys use? Is there a brand or specific model you would recommend. I'm 6'4 and 230lbs, so that also limits some of my options.

Thanks in advance!

9/18/2016 3:40 pm  #2

Re: Sleeping Pad of Choice

I use the MEC Reactor 3.8.  Rolls up nice and small.  No complaints.  We now have 3 of them.  I think they used to have a 'long' size, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  I suspect you'd need the long.

9/18/2016 4:56 pm  #3

Thermarest Neo Air. 100%. Expensive but worth every penny.

9/18/2016 6:14 pm  #4

I have a Neoair X-therm that I use for cold weather. It's great! Really changed everything for me when compared to sleeping on traditional thermarests. Comfort, weight, packability are all vastly superior. The compromise is durability and cost.

For weather above zero C  I use a Nemo Tensor insulated pad. Nemo doesn't get the same press as Thermarest. Perhaps their marketing budget isn't as big. But, I find it is even more comfortable than my Neoair. Because of the square baffles the sides don't collapse like a Neoair. It's also quieter than the Neoair. Less crinkly.  Great product worth considering.

9/18/2016 6:24 pm  #5

Neo Air All-Season Large. I can sleep on my side on the ground and my hip never touches the ground. Very nice. Pricey, but I consider it an excellent purchase. I think the large width is essential. It's still only 25" wide at a large (most pads are 26"). 

9/18/2016 6:46 pm  #6

I think it's GearReview.com.  Invaluable information. I bought both of my Thermarest pads based on their reviews. NeoAir All-Season and NeoAir x-lite

9/19/2016 5:07 am  #7

The Therm o rest Neoair all season pad is nice.  I have the large size.  It does come with a handy battery powered air pump.  My son has been using the Neoair xtherm for a few years with over a 100 days of use and he still likes it.  For me I like the wider pad.

9/19/2016 6:28 am  #8

I've gone through several sleeping pads looking for that special one I would be happy with. I have a Iong history of not sleeping well in my bed at home so I placed a priority on comfort when camping/canoeing/backpacking. 

I started with the MEC Reactor 6.5 which is very comfortable but heavy and huge when rolled up. My next pad was a Thermarest Prolite Plus. Much better in terms of packed size and weight than the Reactor 6.5, but too narrow for a guy like me with wide shoulders who tosses and turns through the night. Constantly coming into contact with the cold ground in the middle of the night is no fun!

So I bit the bullet, spent more money than I wanted to and invested in a Thermarest Xtherm Max. I got the Large size due to its extra width. This is the one I'll stick with. It's rugged, warm, collapses small for transport and unlike most other sleeping pads it can be stored rolled up. In my estimation, the complaints of crinkling noises are overblown. I've used the Xtherm Max in weather ranging from +6C to +26C and not been uncomfortable. Check out the reviews online, this is a very highly regarded product. 

Regardless of which one you go with, here is a tip to keep yourself from coming into contact with the cold ground when you have a narrow pad: On my trips I take one of those All Weather Emergency Blankets MEC sells for $17 and lay that under the sleeping pads, shiny side up. If an arm or leg does happen to go onto the ground, the blanket reflects the body heat back up, resulting in much less discomfort.

Good luck!

Last edited by Blobsquatch (9/19/2016 6:30 am)

9/19/2016 7:14 am  #9

If you are looking for a pad - my advice - don't buy a cheap one

Think of it like your mattress at home - buy a nice one and you'll be happy

I've converted to a hammock camper so I don't sleep on the ground :-)
But if I had to be on the ground I have an exped down mat 9.  It's expensive but awesome to sleep on

Stores like mec and sail have the mats inflated so you can give them a test - 

Cheers

9/19/2016 11:21 am  #10

After too many pads to count like thermorest, kelty, north49, and various others I've settled on a Pine Ridge 2.5. It's compact when rolled, inflates to the full 2 1/2 inches, and has two twist-loc valves A simple quarter turn and pull opens the valve, and push and turn to close. It inflates and deflates very easily and quickly, and is warm to -40.

9/19/2016 12:37 pm  #11

I swear by the pads from Klymit. Pack down to the size of a pop can and has been the most comfortable pad I've slept on. I own two of them now, and I love the one with the pillow attached to it. They even have hammock pads now.

9/19/2016 7:52 pm  #12

I have owned a Thermorest NeoAir All Season for a few seasons and I had to beat my canoe partner off it every evening. He happily took it out of my gear inventory when I bought the Sea-to-Summit Comfort Plus insulated pad. I love the 2-sides cell system to adjust the pressure just right. It pumps up in seconds and deflates instantly to pack.

Last edited by Look_up (9/19/2016 7:53 pm)

9/20/2016 9:41 am  #13

Lofty wrote:

But if I had to be on the ground I have an exped down mat 9. It's expensive but awesome to sleep on

That's my go-to pad. The integrated hand/foot pump make it easy to inflate and the comfort is beyond compare. It's a little heavy at 44 oz but rolls up quite small and the comfort and insulation it provides (RV=8) makes it well worth it to me.The traditional Therm-a-Rest type pads just were not allowing me to get a good sleep. I'm a side sleeper and would wake up numerous times through the night with an ache running down from my hip right to my knee requiring me to switch sides repeatedly through the night. With my Exped the only thing that wakes me is the dog insinuating herself onto what I'm sure she considers "her half".

I also have an older (purple) Big Agnes Insulated Air Core which, at only 22 oz, provides the required cushioning for those more intense backpacking trips but without the "Ahh" experience of the Exped. The problem I find with BA is they are prone to leaks.

There are a lot more of these thicker pads to choose from than there were even just a few years ago so you have more options available to you now.

Dave

9/22/2016 8:10 am  #14

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am currently leaning towards the ThermaRest Neoair Xtherm.

I am, however, in no rush to acquire one. Has anyone noticed if these (sleeping pads in general) go on sale occasionally? 

9/22/2016 8:42 am  #15

I have not seen Therma rest pads on sale much.  Most of the time the sales from your favorite camping store exclude therma rest. But sometimes their 20% coupons work.   I did get mine using a 20% off one item coupon.

9/22/2016 8:46 am  #16

Atmosphere has a 25% off sale that covers a good chunk of their inventory, both online and in-store, that ends today. They do sell Thermarest and the discount applies to those products but I don't believe they sell the Xthern specifically.

The promo code to use shows up at checkout.

Last edited by spicol (9/22/2016 8:47 am)

9/22/2016 10:31 am  #17

Depends where your live and If you are in no rush but here is a neat trick. Hikers Haven in Oakville gives out Green receipts for purchases in store during the month of November. Then you return with your receipt in the month of February and receive 30% off anything in the store. Great for those items that never go on sale.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.