You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2016 2:43 pm  #1

McManus, Smith and Whitson Lakes

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any fishing tips for these lakes. Hoping to catch some walleye for a fish fry and catch some muskie as well. Schedule freed up and I'm heading there this weekend. Planning on camping on Smith Lake and heading to Whitson for an evening fish. Does anyone have any tips on any campsites to go to? None of the lakes are booked for the weekend so far, so I can camp on any of the three. 

Thanks,

Lenny 

Last edited by Lenny (9/15/2016 2:43 pm)

9/16/2016 8:15 am  #2

Re: McManus, Smith and Whitson Lakes

Here's my trip report for the area - including some notes on catching Muskie and Walleye. hint: Don't rule out worms when fishing for Muskie. :-)

http://www.loonislandoutdoors.com/TripReports/LowerPetawawa/McManusLake.php

9/16/2016 9:03 am  #3

Thanks Rob. I've read your report and hope to come close to the success you and your son had. That walleye is an absolute beauty, props for releasing it. I also keep smaller ones (14-18) and let the big boys go, won't even think about keeping any muskie. Which was the best campsite you stayed at? Biggest thing I'm torn about is which lake to camp on. Right now I'm leaning towards one of the sites at the rapids between Smith and Whitson. 

9/16/2016 12:56 pm  #4

We stayed on Whitson so we could explore further up the Pet. I'd liked that site. The site we stayed at on McManus on the last night was decent but nicer when we had stayed there in the spring a few years earlier as the higher water level made for a nicer landing. 

9/19/2016 8:27 am  #5

Thanks for the help Rob. Ended up staying at the site at the top of the rapids between smith and whitson. Fished up whitson without any luck but caught a muskie on smith on the way back. Surprisingly we didn't catch any walleye which was surprising as I've had some good days in the past. Also saw a bear at the rapids between mcmanus and smith on our paddle back, super cool seeing it run through the water. Didn't see anybody all weekend, can't complain!

Last edited by Lenny (9/19/2016 11:04 am)

9/19/2016 4:45 pm  #6

Much better than spending hours parked on the QEW playing 'Taxi Dad'

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.