You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/12/2016 11:35 am  #1

Weather Forecast websites

Hi -
I'm planning a trip this weekend, and have been keeping an eye on weather forecasts for Kearney.  I've noticed that different weather websites have vastly different forecasts, and I'm wondering if anybody here has a preference.  I suspect a lot of folks just use whatever the app is on the phone, but in my case, my phone is not particularly smart (so it suits me....).  I'm not totally hung up on the weather forecast, it is just kind of nice to get a feel what what to expect generally.  I know to come prepared for anything....but I'm kind of deciding between canoes I want to take for this, and the wind is playing into my thinking a little bit.  I'm also deciding between the tiny, tiny 1-man tent that weighs nothing to carry or the barely large enough for 2-man tent that isn't heavy, but takes up more pack space and does weigh a bit more, and would be more comfortable for reading should I spend some extra time luxuriating in the tent on a rainy afternoon.

Here's the example I'm seeing.  Theweathernetwork shows, for 9/16, 9/17, and 9/18 respectively:
19c / 19c / 20c as the daytime highs
mainly sunny / light rain / cloudy with showers for the precipitation
5km/h / 10km/h / 5km/h for the wind

accuweather shows:
21c / 20c / 19c
thick cloud cover / shower and thunderstorm / a chance of a shower
3km/h / 8km/h / 8km/h

So, I have to wonder if one is looking at a broader region and their model just says "Kearney = Toronto", or if the models used by these two competing forecasters are just seeing different results. If it were me doing the forecasting, I'd go with George Carlin's forecast: "Weather forecast for tonight: dark.  Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning."

9/12/2016 11:38 am  #2

Re: Weather Forecast websites

Typo!

For the TheWeatherNetwork I showed windspeed of
5km/h / 10km/h / 5km/h for the wind
Their forecast is actually
5km/h / 10km/h / 15km/h for the wind, which on that last day is double what the accuweather was showing.

9/13/2016 7:22 am  #3

I take the weather reports with a grain of salt.  I typically look at theweathernetwork's website in advance of a trip but when I do there are several caveats:

1. I only "trust" the weather report out to about 48 hours...anything beyond two days suffers and immense drop-off in accuracy and will likely change.  Something 5 or 6 days out it generally a crap shoot.  Beyond that is plain absurd.  As evidence of that, here's the forecast from today that shows substantially different conditions than you referenced...https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/kearney

2. I look at the POP and wind estimates.  The probability of precipitation tells you that, under these conditions, you would expect to receive precipitation X% of the times these conditions occur.  So an 60% POP means that you will probably have some precipitation in 60% of the situations...not that it will rain 60% of the time.  These also are a bit of voodoo science trying to apply specific numeric indicators to what is a very fluid and transitioning process.  The wind predictions are also locally variant so that they are a general guide and not a hard and fast prediction by any means.

In the end, we live far enough away that we prepare for the worst possible conditions and cope with whatever we are dealt.  I could hardly imagine a circumstance where I would cancel a trip due to the forecast, as I have read many others' accounts of making those decisions.  For me, part of the enjoyment of the outdoors is experiencing them in a variety of circumstances and conditions...and sometimes that includes getting lemons and making lemonade.

Any wind prediction under about 20 Km/hr would not prevent me from taking a trip...although I would evaluate the conditions that I observe on the lake on that day and make a judgement call on "we can safely do this" or "let's wait this out until conditions improve".  I have read accounts of individuals who are quite wary of paddling in the wind; for them, I would recommend more paddling, research and getting more experience in those conditions to improve their skills and confidence to manage a common situation better.

When it comes to gear choice - large tent vs. small tent - that is your call.  I personally don't give much of a hoot about what other folks think I should do or, in general, what other folks would do.  They aren't me, they don't have my background, interests, hobbies or mindset.  What they may love, I may dislike; what they may prefer, I may find distasteful.  I do not disregard their input, but I consider it in light of my preferences, style and desires so that I consider their perspective as just that, coming from their perspective.  As an example, I would bring a tarp and sit under that instead of being cooped up in a tent.

9/14/2016 6:04 am  #4

For 25 years, I either worked outside or owned and managed companies that were 100% affected by the weather.  Before the internet, I had to call Environment Canada's weather line and listen to the recorded message for each of the areas that we were working in.  When EC went online, I compared their forecasting to all others, including the Weather Network, and found EC to be the most accurate.
Here are the two sites I use now, and I continue to compare them to others, but these are still the most reliable.
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/
http://weather.gc.ca/forecast/canada/index_e.html?id=on

9/14/2016 8:18 am  #5

PaPaddler & My Self Reliance - thanks very much for the replies.  I'm onboard with "you get what you get and you don't get upset" for weather.  Very recently I bought an onwego camp chair, so in the event of pouring buckets rain, chances are I'll sit out under the tarp and read as opposed to doing so in the tent, though I'm sure I'll nod off in either place. 

Those weather sites are neat, especially the windfinder one.  I could play with that all day, and I really like the display on that one as well.  It lays the information out very conveniently.  Thanks for passing that along.  In the grand sense, all the weather reports I've seen are similar: Friday nice, Saturday expect some rain and wind, Sunday rain tapers off expect some wind, daytime temps good, will drop off on both nights.

The wind thing is more....see, my canoe choices are a 17' Merrimack that I've had forever, and the 1967 old town canvas lightweight I bought at the beginning of the season.  I kind of promised the old town I'd take it, but the Merrimack felt sort of jilted.  I'm leaning toward the canvas because the other has had more adventures, plus there's a 10 pound difference.  I'm a little apprehensive about the wind because while I've had the canvas out a bunch, I haven't had it out in any kind of weather, and very rarely have I paddled it solo, so we don't have the....sounds stupid but....relationship I have with the Merrimack.  But I bought the canvas to build that relationship, and that can't happen if it is hanging in the garage.  Plus, I'm nervous about a hard wind is driving the boat into a portage entrance where I've got to do some heroic jumping out to prevent swearing and a winter project.  I'm expecting wet feet, but I'd rather not have the big dicey moment.  There are plus's and minus's to either boat, but it beats swimming so I'll take one or the other.  Game day decision.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.