You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2015 9:54 am  #1

Crocs in the Park?

For the past two years I've been wearing Crocs (ya...those goofy looking rubber shoe things I swore I would NEVER wear) on my trips to the park (spring, summer and fall).  I like them for a few reasons:  they dry out super fast, they are comfy, and they are easy to get on and off in the dark (sounds stupid but I hate stumbling around getting my shoes on when getting in and out of my hammock).  They don't have a ton of support but for around camp or around the water, I love 'em!  What shoe does everyone else wear for their camp shoe?

8/25/2015 10:10 am  #2

Re: Crocs in the Park?

In spring I use duck boots as my "dry" shoes. Quick to slip on and off for those middle of the night trips to the facilitrees. 

In summer, my dry shoes are my Merrells with the Keens being the walk in the water shoes during the day. I find my feet really appreciate getting a chance to dry out at the end of the day. 

8/25/2015 10:42 am  #3

My summer camp sandals are thermarest freewaters
Super light and super comfortable.

though on my last trip I saw a guy on a portage hop out of the stern with these shoes on

Always thought these kind of shoes looked funny but I got thinking..

They are supposed to be very comfortable.
Dont have to worry about soakers like with my hiking shoes on. 
Offer some protection and support
Easy to get off and on 
Good for swimming if you need something on your feet .. depending on where you are going in.
Can do double duty of portage footwear and camp footwear.

I might give them a try.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/25/2015 12:55 pm  #4

Hi Steve: For the past couple of years I have used Crocks (actually the cheapo knock off version) with a Dr. Scholls Active Series insert for the canoe and portages. I bring the hiking boots for backup. I went to this after suffering Plantar Fasciitis and it worked. The foot tendon pain and tenderness is gone. I haven't had a problem on portages and it doesn't matter it they get wet. 

8/25/2015 4:46 pm  #5

Great topic Steve and funny you should ask. First of all I have been wearing Vibrims ( monkey feet shoes ) since I started backcountry camping and I love, love, love them. Super comfortable and great getting in and out of the canoe as they shed water unlike a hiker that will just fill up. They do provide some support and toe protection but certainly not as good as hiking boots. I never wear hikers - too heavy and I WON'T wear them wet. I love being bearfoot at the campsite though which I have had to reconsider since a trip in early July from McCraney through Way, Wee etc etc. Broke a toe first night out on a 5 day trip while walking bearfoot on the rocks by the water when I stepped on slippery rock at the waters edge. Lesson learned! Wear shoes! Just bought a pair of moccasins with tread soles I'm thinking of using around camp. My perfect shoe is comfortable and light ( less weight ) but still provides some protection.  Just got a pair of water shoes by Body Glove that I also like but not as much as my Vibrims.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

8/26/2015 7:39 am  #6

I wear Salomon Techamphibians when on the move. Water shoes with good soles and heel support. My feet and shoes inevitably get wet during travel days as it's not always a given I can get in or out of the kayak directly onto dry land, so nothing else makes sense for me. Hiking boots are great until you get one wet, and then they're soaked for days. Once I get to my campsite I put on a pair of lightweight running shoes.

8/26/2015 6:32 pm  #7

Uppa I use those as well. In the shoulder seasons I wear a wigwam athletic sock with 80% wool.    Great shoe.

Steve, my girlfriend wears crocs around camp and she loves them

8/28/2015 9:59 pm  #8

I bought these this spring and have been happy with them. Previously I used a really soft eva foam croc-like (but softer) sandal from Cdn Tire. These Keen Mckenzies are comfortable, drain fairly well, and don't stink like my runners do when theyr're wet. They're not perfect, but they are good value; they were on clearance as the style updated. i wear socks in them for no good reason that I can think of.

Edit: they do stink, but a bath of mirazyme brings them back, heheh.

Last edited by LaLoche (9/14/2015 8:11 pm)

9/13/2015 8:42 am  #9

Like Uppa I have a pair of the Techamphibians and they are awesome for summer portages. I also will sometimes swap them out for my Keen Newport H2 sandals for some trips, but the Solomans dry faster. In the shoulder seasons or trips with higher difficulty portages I have Salomon Quest 4D Gtx etc. etc. haha which are the most comfortable boots i've ever owned, and right outta the box too! I have real finnicky feet and these have been just a dream since I first got them (Salamon also has great warranties on their stuff so I hear).

But at camp, like you Steve, I always have a pair of crocs. To me they are the perfect at camp shoe and my feet feel great in them.

Cheers!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

9/13/2015 12:25 pm  #10

I like minimalist running shoes they have some suport and dry pritty quick not as fast as crocs but if you remove the insole they dry pritty fast 3 to 4 hours on hot sunny days or a windy day but they are not easy to put on in the dark I always said I would not wear crocs but now reading your post I might have to reconsider

Shawn G

9/13/2015 2:06 pm  #11

Found a pair of the salomon techamphibians for 60% off on an end of season sale. So will give them a try based on all these positive reviews. Haven't used them yet but they look good. 

Last edited by ShawnD (9/13/2015 6:52 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

9/14/2015 7:59 am  #12

Keen Newport H2 Sandals on the water and for short hikes/portages. Still have great traction when wet. Flip flops in camp to save space and weight over Crocs but if you're not too worried about those factors, Crocs make sense - they would definitely be cleaner!

9/14/2015 9:43 am  #13

Crocs too for portages. Merrell canyoneering shoes with a vibram sole for portages.

I had two pairs of Salomon Techphibians.  They don't have the best sole ( its slippery on lichen) and the heel cup is not deep enough for me.

I would wear a pair out each year. The mesh on the side is not very durable.

I've had the Maipos now for three years and got an extra pair.. So  I am good to go for a long time.

9/15/2015 2:29 am  #14

For those of you who wear crocs. Aren't you worried about getting a stick or something else through the bottom?

I wore Keens for years until am "Oops" a couple of years ago and have since gone to a pair of Techphibians with wool socks and use the Keens for site shoes.
kayamedic you think Techs are slippery on lichen, don't even think about a pair of Keen sandals.
Gentle slope to the landing, unloaded gear set up and changed shoes. Almost went a$$ over teakettle, and that was before it started to rain (again)

9/15/2015 9:21 am  #15

I've got Keens too. Haven't worn them for paddling in years.  I dislike getting pebbles in and sticks poking under my feet.  I use the Keens mostly for Florida biking.. They are useless for Florida paddling.. get a sandspur in under the sole of your feet and you will never forget it.

Last edited by kayamedic (9/15/2015 9:21 am)

9/16/2015 8:17 am  #16

I've been very happy with my Merrell Water Gauley shoes for the last 4-5 years. They are starting to get a little beat up but are hanging in there. I would repurchase when I need a new pair.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.