You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/01/2016 12:37 pm  #1

Cedar > Catfish > Burntroot > Remona > Nipissing Loop

In Summary:
•Cedar L > Catfish L > Burntroot L > Remona L > Nipissing R (Long Marsh) > Cedar L
•Route:
•Night 1 - Catfish L
•Night 2 - Burntroot L
•Night 3 - Remona L
•Night 4 - Nipissing R
•Let me also emphasize that my friends and I are big fan of exploring the park’s many historical places/artifacts.  We are always sure to leave items in place and not disturb / ‘souvenir hunt’
•Took many pictures, but below is a list of the main highlights / places we had explored•Enjoy :-)

Thanks!:
•A big thanks to the following folks who put information out there to help us explore and appreciate the park’s history:
•Jeff (jeffsmap.com)
•Brandon (www.tourdupark.com)
•Bob & Diana (www.mcelroy.ca)

Day 1:
Arrived in park, camped @ Catfish L via Cedar L > Petawawa R > Narrowbag L

•Brent Crater (lookout tower not trail itself):

•A. Corbeil’s Grave:

•Petawawa R waterfalls:

•Log chute remains:

•Alligator:

•Turtle Rock: 

Day 2:
Catfish L > Petawawa R > Perley L > Burntroot L

•Root cellar:

•Sunset @ campsite on Burntroot L:

Day 3:
Burntroot L > Explore Burntroot L > Robinson L > Whiskey Jack L > Remona L

•Alligator anchor:

•Barnet Depot Farm Remains:
•Didn’t paddle systematically across entire shore, however makes me wonder what other artifacts could be in the water - Anyone else know?

•Alligator:

•We’re not the only visitor to the site:

Day 4:
Remona L > Spring POW Camp > Nipissing R (Long Marsh)

•Moose (not great zoom :-S):

•High Falls:

•Spring POW camp:
Does anyone else have any stories/pictures from this site?  Would love to hear others’ experience!  Only pictures I seemed to have been able to find are from Bob & Diana McElroy’s 1979 trip (http://www.mcelroy.ca/notes/spring_camp.html)
•Based on Jeff’s map / Bob/Diana’s pictures, we had tried to locate the camp in the bushy area closer to the East end of the 365m portage with little success.
•However, site is closer to the middle of the portage rather than the East end (as indicated on Jeff’s map (or could simply be inadequate map reading skill on my part lol ;-))
•It’s a great site, we were able to locate multiple cabins’ remains
•First successful find of Spring POW, found this bar in the bushy field.  Not sure if it was left there when Spring camp was left, or perhaps a souvenir hunter had moved it?  Nothing else located in bushy field.

•After searching waist high brush for an hour or so we gave up on East end of the portage, and explored further along the portage with much better luck!  Camp is much more overgrown than in pics from Bob/Diana’s trip in 1979.  Doesn’t seem forest has been kind.
•Cabin doorway:

•Centre of cabin:

•Bunk beds (or singles?):

•We didn’t want to damage anything, so unsure what this was:

•On the way back E along Nipissing R, at the West end of the 1300m portage we saw pile of remains with a tree growing from it (near westernmost campsite along portage).  Think this could have simply been construction materials from the nearby dam?:

•Fishing equipment? (@ campsite E of 1300m portage):

•Sunset @ Nipissing R Long Marsh campsite:

Day 5:
Nipissing R (Long Marsh) > Nipissing R > Cedar L > Exit
•There were lots of leeches in the Nipissing R :-(!
•Remains @ a lunch stop campsite - The one indicated as in extremely poor condition on Jeff’s Map - He was right (definitely wouldn’t have wanted to spend the night)!:

•Ald Charron’s cave (hard to get a good shot in tight space):

•Old cables along portage (assume used for the dam?):

•A beautiful day on Cedar L:

•Kish-Kaduk Lodge remains (definitely worth the stop!):

Please remember the park ‘belongs’ to all of us - Leave no trace, don’t remove/damage historical artifacts, and of course stay safe in back country :-) 

Last edited by Ash (9/01/2016 12:45 pm)

9/01/2016 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Cedar > Catfish > Burntroot > Remona > Nipissing Loop

Great pics and story. Who's Ald Cherron? 
M

9/02/2016 7:14 am  #3

Re: Cedar > Catfish > Burntroot > Remona > Nipissing Loop

Awesome trip Ash!! Great find on the POW ruins, I'll definitely check it out when I pass by next week. Really great pics, glad you guys had such a successful adventure

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.