You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2016 8:12 am  #1

Amable du Fond Rapids sites

Has anyone stayed on the sites labeled Amable du Fond Raps, or even just paddled past and taken a peek?  We are looking to do a basecampjng trip and while my husband and I are eager to get deeper into the park, the kids have suddenly grown fearful.  My original thought had been Jubilee which would give them a few portages to do.  We might still do that, but incase I can't talk them around, I was wondering about the rapids sites.  We aren't generally picky about campsites, but decent swimming would be a help. What about the next section, with sites labeled Amable du Fond river?

8/22/2016 1:08 pm  #2

Re: Amable du Fond Rapids sites

I don't think the water would be deep enough at the Amable du Fond Rapids sites for swimming.  The only Amable du Fond River site that is good is the one closest to the portage to Manitou.   My wife and I stayed there one night on the August long weekend -- it is a nice open campsite in a hemlock/pine grove with the river flowing by on one side.   We didn't do any swimming as we got there late in the evening and had to get to Biggar Lake the next day but I would expect it would be ok for swimming.  It would be a lot better though if you could get your crew to continue on to Manitou as that is a really nice lake with good campsites.

8/22/2016 1:15 pm  #3

To give you more ammo for your fight for Jubilee:

I highly recommend Jubilee. It's a nice paddle in (barring lots of wind on Rain) and there are some nice sites. I sent in some PCI reports on Jubilee last year. Campsite 3 is a fav of mine and there are some pics on the PCI report. 

8/25/2016 4:14 pm  #4

Thanks for the input!  The kids completely punked out and decided they wanted to camp in our Boler so we ended up doing two nights at Oastler Lake Provincial Park, then taking them and the camper to my parents place in Haliburton, so the hubby and I could do a night of canoe camping.  I ended up with a bad cold on the first day of the trip or we would have gone for longer, as it was, we ended up just going to Little Island Lake.  I had really wanted to go in at an access we hadn't been to yet, but time wise, it made more sense to put in along Highway 60, and with the lakes being so booked up, Little Island was on a very short list of possibilities.

I'm definitely going to check out both of the suggested lakes soon though.  We really got our portaging strategy down on this short trip and feel feel more confident about tackling longer ones and going deeper into the park.

8/25/2016 4:58 pm  #5

the beach at the east end of manitou at the portage to da river,, is one of algonquin`s best,,,i.m.h.o.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.