You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2016 6:20 am  #1

Opeongo to Shippagew: Day 2

The Day 2 video is done! Day 2 was travelling from Merchant to Shippagew Lake, and includes a very close up and personal encounter with a moose. As with Day 1, feedback is greatly appreciated. Hope you enjoy it!

[url=http://www.kayakcamper.com/opeongo---shippagew.html#Day 2]Watch it here[/url].

Last edited by Uppa (8/13/2016 6:22 am)

8/13/2016 8:55 am  #2

Re: Opeongo to Shippagew: Day 2

Loved the Day 2 video. While I enjoyed the first one I thought the second installment was quite a bit better and I would have happily watched another twenty minutes. The close animal encounters were cool, but my highlight of the video was when you sped over the beaver dam.

Thanks for sharing.

8/13/2016 2:35 pm  #3

Just making a cautionary comment as the WS operator. These biofuel stoves can be sparky at times. So I want to suggest that they are best used on the ground, either within or immediately downwind of the firepit's stone ring (specially in dry and/or windy conditions). I used one for a few years and found they can cast off some serious sparks and embers.

8/13/2016 3:42 pm  #4

I've not seen that issue with my stove (kicking off sparks/embers) but it's a problem that solves itself. In windy conditions there's no chance I could have it up on a table like this in the first place. I'm sure you can tell from the video that it's a very calm morning - there was no cause for concern. 

8/13/2016 3:43 pm  #5

@RC: Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Beaver dams are great fun - when you're headed downstream anyway ;)

8/13/2016 6:41 pm  #6

Cool wildlife encounters. Dam cormorant thinks he owns the place. Moose on the other hand does own the place!

Is that a Titan Kettle? When you were pouring the water without removing the lid I was pretty surprised it didn't come off. Very handy! Seeing your pictures and vids in the past has convinced me to give the Bush Buddy a try. I've tried and sold a Kelly Kettle, Firebox and Tack 180. Maybe this one will be the ticket!

I notice your jacket matches too eh. 

8/13/2016 9:31 pm  #7

Are you, like, the Pied Piper of wildlife? Is it your cologne? Whatever it is you've got it lol. That was soooooooo cool with the moose. Great vid. Look forward to the rest.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

8/14/2016 6:56 am  #8

@Martin: Yes, that's a Titan kettle. I've been quite happy with it since it joined my gear a couple years go. 
Re: twig stoves. I've never used any twig stove except my Bush Buddy but I can't imagine there are massive differences between models. If you've already tried three different ones and not liked any of them, I'm thinking twig stoves probably aren't your thing. Was it something specific about those stoves you didn't like? 

@Kellycamps: That was definitely an unusual experience to say the least, but solo camping probably does lead to extra wildlife encounters just because you're quieter. Although I spent enough time talking to the camera on this trip to scare off plenty!

8/14/2016 9:10 am  #9

Hi Bob,

Maybe stick stoves are not for me. I do like alcohol stove for a quick morning coffee. It's not that I don't have experience using stick stoves. I do, but I enjoy them more for the novelty than utility. I ended up selling them last year in a big purge because I have too much camping stuff.

When it came to trips they just never made it past the cut. Packability and weight always put them in the discard pile. Most of my trips are long weekend affairs. The weight, convenience and packability of alcohol stoves always beat out wood on short trips. I should note that I typically cook half of my meals over a plain old fire anyway.

The Firebox Stove is great because it packs down small and has a huge burn chamber. It got cut because it weighs 2 pounds! The Kelley Kettle is by far the fastest burner of them all. But, loses in just about every other department. It is 1.7 pounds! Way to big, and has a real capacity of about 450ml. The Tack 180 Stove at 11 oz is really more of a small portable grill. It just holds a pot off a small twig fire but does nothing to aid combustion. I will eventually replace that with a Purcell Grill.

The Bush Buddy on the other hands packs perfectly inside my 1l pot along side a lighter, spork, scrubby, bandana etc.. It is almost as packable as my alcohol setup. The small advantage my alcohol set up has is that my mug also fits inside the pot. So I will have to find somewhere else for it when using the Bush Buddy. From a weight point of view the Bush Buddy only weighs 7oz. It doesn't take more than a couple of days before alcohol loses it's weight advantage. So, the only thing I sacrifice using a Bush buddy is some convenience.

I'm willing to give it a go. Plus it's a new toy to play with!

Last edited by MartinG (8/14/2016 9:10 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.