You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2016 6:59 pm  #1

Park-wide fire ban in effect .. issued around 7 pm..

8/11/2016 7:50 pm  #2

Re: Park-wide fire ban in effect .. issued around 7 pm..

Talk about shutting the barn door!

21 fires so far this year, APK 020 is still not under control and holding at 30.0 ha, and campers have been evacuated.

At least the Super finally did what was needed doing back in July.

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

8/11/2016 8:02 pm  #3

thank you  barbara for clarification about the fire situation,, i am stunned  (more than usual)  that it took so long for the ban to be put in place.   
    be interesting to know how a fire ban translates into car camp ground and back country sites availability in the next while.  people bailing  cause no fires.   in prime holiday times,,, 

Last edited by swedish pimple (8/11/2016 8:36 pm)

8/11/2016 9:21 pm  #4

Based on past fire bans, how long are they usually in place for? We're supposed to get a lot of rainfall this weekend... is one strong weekend enough to lift the ban, or does it usually require several weeks with lots of rain?

I've been checking the status pretty much daily, and I noticed a few weeks ago that the rating went from Extreme to Moderate (2 steps down) after one weekend of rainfall

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/12/2016 10:50 am  #5

Heading in Sunday for a week so I probably won't even get news of a fire ban if it is lifted as that decision will likely only come Monday, unless the decision makers are working over the weekend.
I'm still ok to bring my modified, homemade roman candle stove right?

8/12/2016 12:10 pm  #6

They're only allowing fuel stoves with valve controls. Maybe we should rename you "RCSparky".

8/12/2016 12:55 pm  #7

Ha ha. I like it!
The MSR Dragonfly is in the rotation for this week. We'll also have our collapsible bucket of water nearby just in case. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.