You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2016 11:01 am  #1

Portages Between La Muir-Deer Yard-Hemlock-Blowdown-Merchant Lakes

Wondering if anyone can offer and information about these portages as the mapping shows them as low maintenance portages. I'm going to be tackling them solo in a couple weeks and don't want to be caught in a tough day alone. I've never done any of the low maintenance ones before as I'm always solo and wasn't sure what to expect. ​Thanks Mike

Last edited by fishquest (8/02/2016 11:03 am)

8/03/2016 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Portages Between La Muir-Deer Yard-Hemlock-Blowdown-Merchant Lakes

Since nobody's answering... I passed this way in 2009. My recollection is that portages were obviously rarely traveled and slightly overgrown, but nothing out of the ordinary. No steeps or bogs to remember. It took me about 11 hours to travel from Opeongo to LaMuir; single carry before crossing the road midway between Hemlock and Deer Yard and double-carry afterwards, when I got tired. 
Have fun!
Sergey

8/03/2016 4:12 pm  #3

Did these portages about four years ago in the spring. They were enjoyable but when we went through there were many blowdowns and a bit tough going in those sections. The route is quite nice, though, and we felt it was worth it. We went from LaMuir to Opeongo and set up camp in plenty of daylight.

8/04/2016 6:39 pm  #4

Thanks very much for the input and I'll make sure to leave lots of time for the day and the trail just in case.

8/05/2016 2:18 pm  #5

Sorry for being a bit late to the party.  We did this route 2 seasons ago and truthfully, aside from the first portage North of Merchant.  They were not very memorable.  Some short lakes to cross and a bit of elevation.
The first portage out of merchant had a beaver dam that caused some significant "Black water" up to mid thigh level in July 2014.   I don't seem to recall any blow down then but, like every season that can change.

Have a great little journey through there!
JB

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.