You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2016 11:41 am  #1

Algonquin spring canoe trip 2016 - video

I made a video for my spring canoe trip. I don't plan enough to actually do a full story/trip type video. Maybe next time. Instead it turned into a music video. I think it captures how I felt. Hope you enjoy! 

Full Trip report can be found here: http://algonquinadventures.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=582 

Last edited by MartinG (7/14/2016 11:41 am)

7/14/2016 4:20 pm  #2

Re: Algonquin spring canoe trip 2016 - video

Great music video Martin.  I didn't realize you use a bent shaft. Are you happy with it, meaning do you find your correction strokes are effective enough to call it a success? I haven't tried using one solo and I was considering it.

7/14/2016 8:24 pm  #3

Even though the video was energetic, it sure was refreshing! I think it was that snow on the portages that started cooling me off and letting me forget the summer heat. Good timing!

7/14/2016 9:58 pm  #4

Great video
Heading in Tuesday.  Really puts me in the mood. Not sure how I'm gonna make it through 3 more days of work though. . Thanks.

7/14/2016 10:15 pm  #5

@Shawn. Thanks Shawn I appreciate it!

I have been using the paddle in the video as my solo paddle since 2012. The boat, the paddle and I fit really well together. It is a 51" Foxworx FFG and I love, love, love it! I have 9 paddles, this is the only one I love.  I have absolutely no problem going straight for hours on end and I don't switch sides. I never 'sit-and-switch'. I pretty much do a Canadian stroke on every stroke. The partial in-water retrieve acting as correction. I also roll or pry the shaft off the gunwales with every stroke (That is why I put whipping on the shaft). More or less correction is achieved by adjusting the length and angle of the retrieve. Sometimes I do a bit of a C stroke or J stroke when momentum is low or I need to do a sharp turn. It is completely unconscious on my part.

I can't say for sure it's the bend I like. The paddle is amazingly balanced and light at just over 15oz. It has a fantastic round football type grip. It has a wonderful tapered shaft that gets quite large at the throat encouraging a loose lower hand grip. Relatively small blade surface area. It is almost effortless to hold and use. It's this in combination with the look and feel of wood that I like. 

7/14/2016 10:20 pm  #6

@ Barry and Shyane. Thank you!

Making this video made me pine for Spring. It is too hot right now!

Shayne, you can make it 3 days! I was supposed to go into the park this weekend with my son. Unfortunately, work got in the way. No more Algonquin interior trips for me until fall.

Last edited by MartinG (7/14/2016 10:20 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.