You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2016 1:22 pm  #1

Rock/Penn

Hey all - longtime lurker, first time poster!!

So just a general question, not looking for any 'secret' fishing holes....just not that experienced. Spending one night on Rock(wed), and then rest on Penn(3 nights). Is it too late for trout? Was planning on hitting sandy and Gem. Any decent bass on Penn? Other than one shore meal would all be catch/release....just want to be able to catch something in my time up there!

Thanks al!!

Last edited by rcolwill (7/05/2016 1:22 pm)

7/05/2016 1:38 pm  #2

Re: Rock/Penn

Never found a bass in Pen, which is considered a good thing for a trout lake. 

You should still be able to catch trout but you'll have to be fishing deeper, not just trolling near the surface. 

7/05/2016 5:52 pm  #3

Re: Rock/Penn

I believe the bass symbol on Pen Lake on Jeff's map is an error. I started another thread to try to discuss the origins of this misconception but it does appear that Pen Lake is bass-free. Here is a scientific study done in Algonquin Park on the effects of invasive aquatic predators, which uses Pen Lake as an example of a lake that doesn't have any, i.e. no bass (see Table 1).

As a side note, by reading the article I also learned that walleye have apparently made it into Rock Lake, and pike into Galeairy.

But anyway there are certainly bass in Rock Lake. And it's never too late for trout, you just have to adjust your technique. See this thread.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.