You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2016 1:51 pm  #1

Kiosk-Mink-Erables-Maple Cr

Trying to think of a good relaxing 3 day loop for the summer and I was thinking about Access 29 Kiosk-Mink(Or White Birch)-Club-Mouse-Big Thunder-Erables-Maple-Maple Cr. Anyone done this loop? Looks good on a map but I was a little bit unsure about water levels on Maple Cr in July or August. Any suggestions or alternates welcome, I've never spent much time in that area of the park just winging it off a map (not that that's a bad thing).

6/30/2016 2:11 pm  #2

Re: Kiosk-Mink-Erables-Maple Cr

I'm taking 3 nights to do that loop in early Aug solo.. Not sure when you are planning on going but I can report back if it is after Aug 7th.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

6/30/2016 2:23 pm  #3

Did this loop last summer. Water levels can be low, especially in Aug. Some decent sites on Mouse, Erables and Maple. Maple Creek is challenging and pretty rocky in spots.
One word of advice would be as you get closer to ask for tips on getting through the marsh from Club to Mouse. Depending on water levels it can be tricky.

6/30/2016 2:55 pm  #4

Thanks Shawn/RCSpartan, appreciate the feedback, I haven't pinned down an exact date but I'm getting a little stir crazy so it may be sooner than later, If I do go prior to the seventh I'll do the same. In the event I'm there at the same time I'll let you know and we can meet at the bar for a refreshment.

6/30/2016 3:16 pm  #5

Sounds good. my dates are Aug 4 - Mouse, Aug 5 - Erables, Aug 6 - Maple.

I will be in a green Swift pack canoe.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

6/30/2016 6:33 pm  #6

I did this loop last summer at the end of August, though in the opposite direction.  The advantage of going in the direction you propose is that the portage from Maple Lake to Maple Creek is downhill.  It's short and steep. The disadvantage is finding the path through the marsh between Club and Mouse.  You still get a good climb between Mouse and Mink, but it's more gradual.

The entrance to the marsh can be difficult to find.  As we were getting to it, we ran into another group who had tried to find the entrance the day before and had given up.  They were eventually successful, but it cost them a day of travel.

As for the water levels on Maple Creek, they were low, and the bottom was rocky so plan on taking your time.  We were only two in a large canoe with a light load so there were only one or two places where one or both of us had to get out to wade.  The bottom in those areas was flat and sandy, so it wasn't a bit deal.  There were a few canoes going in the opposite direction and they were more loaded and were definitely wading a lot more.

If I were to do the trip again, I would probably go in the same direction (opposite what you are proposing).  Not finding the entrance to the marsh seems like more of a pain than the tough portages.

6/30/2016 7:39 pm  #7

Good info upthecreek. I have found having Jeffs map downloaded on your gps solves most problems with finding portages etc.  His gps coordinates are spot on.

Last edited by ShawnD (6/30/2016 7:40 pm)

6/30/2016 9:43 pm  #8

ShawnD, I completely agree.  In this case, it's more or less obvious where the portage is, it's just behind a wall of marsh that has a very small opening on the western edge, nearly on the shore.  Coming from the direction I was traveling I had no issues, but did run into the one group who had significant difficulty, and I believe I've read a trip report where a group eventually gave up and headed back to Kiosk the way they came.

So its best to be prepared to spend a bit of time finding the correct route through the marsh, or travel in the other direction.  I did consult Jeff's map before posting earlier to see if it offered any hints, but not in this case.

7/01/2016 1:42 pm  #9

I just did this loop last week. Water levels were low, but we had no trouble in maple creek. Not sure how it will be in august.

I havent gone through all my pics yet but this is a portage in maple crk, i belive its after the 130m or 190m cant remember, i have a video where i stuck my cam in the water on maple crk too and ill post that when its uploaded

7/03/2016 3:08 pm  #10

Maple Creek June 26, 2016

Last edited by hoser89 (7/03/2016 3:09 pm)

7/04/2016 1:21 pm  #11

Thanks Hoser, appreciate the video, hopefully we get some rain soon. I'm in Bowmanville and we haven't seen more that a few mm's in the last month. The underwater shots look pretty cool.

7/04/2016 1:43 pm  #12

ShawnD wrote:

Sounds good. my dates are Aug 4 - Mouse, Aug 5 - Erables, Aug 6 - Maple.

I will be in a green Swift pack canoe.

​I ended up booking similar dates but I think I'm going to spend an extra day on Erables, I'll keep an eye out for you on Erables, be nice to put a face to the names. I'm pretty easy to spot as I resemble a Moose 5'10 250lbs. I'll be in a Cream Swift Kipawa. My dates are 3rd- Mouse, 4/5 Erables, 6 Maple.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.