You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2015 3:58 am  #1

Where to go?

I'm having trouble deciding where to go for my next trip in the park. Leaving North Bay Thursday after work at 2pm. Have until Saturday evening or possibly Sunday afternoon. Going solo with my dog as usual in my 17ft Kevlar Prospector. I just got back from a trip through Grand Lake / Lower Spectacle and the Canyon yesterday.
I can't seem to find an access point that interests me that isn't booked solid for next weekend. As of right now I am considering going back to the Canyon and camping out on the Barron River this time instead of going south. If all elese fails the Kiosk Access point has some availability. Keep in my on the first day (Thursday) I don't usually like to portage so I can take in some of my own firewood so I can relax (started work at 5am on this day). Open to all suggestions!
So far this year I have done trips from Cache, Rock, Kiosk, Canoe, Magnetewan, Rain, Tim River, Cedar, and Grand.

Last edited by token (8/23/2015 3:59 am)

8/23/2015 11:45 am  #2

Re: Where to go?

Have you been to Craig Lake?

It's a few short portages (200/345/90) from access 1b - so you could bring some extra luxuries and even if it made you double carry, you'd still be on the lake within an hour. Some good campsites, an old dam and if you're adventurous you could check out Craig Creek. You could also head up the narrow creek to Pishnecka Lake - seems like it would be a good spot for early morning wildlife viewing.

Last edited by Peek (8/23/2015 11:50 am)

8/23/2015 1:58 pm  #3

Have you ever been? I wonder what the campsites are like.. looks like that area isnt used very heavily! I will keep that in mind, thank you!

8/23/2015 2:41 pm  #4

yup, its a nice lake

8/23/2015 3:18 pm  #5

I got Thursday off work so I can leave Wednesday after work at 2PM and not come home until Saturday evening. I'm not sure Craig Lake would be ideal any more because I have more time and probably wont want to stay on the same lake for 2 days (going solo and I find it an get a bit boring). I am seriously reconsidering going back to Grand Lake and doing a small loop through Stratton/St.Andrews. I think I made a mistake last time by going into Lower Spectacle. Although the sites on Grand lake were magnificient, so I would stay there again on the first night then do Stratton on the second night. I am actaully considering heading back to the car the next day and heading for Squirrel Rapids and spending my final night on the Barron River just below the Canyon, then the following morning I can canoe the canyon before heading home.

Last edited by token (8/23/2015 3:29 pm)

8/23/2015 3:51 pm  #6

Just a heads up, there are firewood restrictions in Algonquin and other Ontario parks.
I can't post a link, but if you google "firewood restriction algonquin" you can read about it.

Access 25, Wendigo Lake is close to North Bay. The next lake,Allan Lake, is completely open this coming weekend. There is only one short portage.  There are even a few crown land sites on Wendigo. Enjoy your trip!.

Last edited by fitzroymike (8/23/2015 4:56 pm)

8/23/2015 6:48 pm  #7

fitzroymike wrote:

Just a heads up, there are firewood restrictions in Algonquin and other Ontario parks.
I can't post a link, but if you google "firewood restriction algonquin" you can read about it.

Access 25, Wendigo Lake is close to North Bay. The next lake,Allan Lake, is completely open this coming weekend. There is only one short portage.  There are even a few crown land sites on Wendigo. Enjoy your trip!.

I have tried to access Wndigo lake twice so far since ice out and I could'nt get my car in there either time. There is a beaver dam about 1km into the road causing it to be over a foot or so under water. The last time I tried was August 6.

8/24/2015 3:06 pm  #8

I just booked Grand Lake, Stratton then the Boarron River below the canyon. The plan is to arrive at Grand at approx. 5PM Wednesday, paddle to a site and relax for the evening (bringing in firewood). The next morning I will pack up and head for Stratton Lake, find a good site and then take a day trip to High Falls (never been). The next morning I will pack up and head for the access point, I will then load up the car and head for either Brigham Portage or Squirrel Rapids and setup camp on the Barron River.. from here I will relax and day trip below the canyon. On my last day (Saturday) I will head out fairly early and check out the hiking trail on my way out.

Any suggestions? Should I make any changes?

8/24/2015 3:12 pm  #9

I have a suggestion..

Do what solo lesta did and bring a bike so you can make it a one way trip. Drop the bike off at Squirrel Rapids (or brigham), do your trip, then ride back for the car.

Or if your worried about leaving your canoe unattended for the hour or so you can either
1 - bring a cable lock and do what the outfitters do (leave it with the bike.. locks the bike, then when you need the bike it locks the canoe)
2 - drop all your stuff off at grand, drive back to squirrel raps (or brigham) leave the car, ride bike back to grand, hide bike, go on trip, drive back to get bike.

It sounds like a lot of work but its worth it for the 1 way trip.

I planned to do this last year when I started at Squirrel Rapids and ended 180km later at McManus - however just as I was about to leave to drop the car at McManus and ride back, some rangers came up from the river, finishing their work day. I offered a student ranger forty bucks to follow me there in his car and give me a lift back - easiest forty bucks he made (he said) and saved me a long bike ride

Last edited by Peek (8/24/2015 3:22 pm)

8/24/2015 5:39 pm  #10

It's a great idea! I definately thought about it! I read about doing the same thing in one of Hap Wilson's books last night. Unfortunatly I drive a compact car and I don't have any room for my bike, really wish I could though! I'm going to call it a 'car portage'.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.