You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2016 9:03 pm  #1

Bear Bangers or Spray

Pros/cons? Preference?  Advice?

6/21/2016 5:03 am  #2

Re: Bear Bangers or Spray

Bangers or bells are to scare them away before you see them. Spray is only used when they won't go away or you are being charged. For most of the black bears my son or I have seen they always get up and run away. The exceptions would be a bear with cubs or a nuisance bear. Which may stick around. My son was taught in the park service to yell or talk real loud at the bears if they don't go away.  He has been bluff charged by a nuisance bear.  He does not carry anything in black bear country.  But his job this year is in grizzly and black bear county so he now has Bear spray he carries on his solo hiking trips in the mountains. He also has to worry about mountain lions and wolves where he is at. On a recent trip I took with him we did have a mountain lion come down the trail towards us but it turned around and ran away. ON that trip we did not have spray or bells.

6/21/2016 5:54 am  #3

Thanks for the advice. I have never seen a bear in the interior and I know they are a pretty rare sighting. I have seen them along the 60 corridor  a few times however.  Getting ready for my first solo trip so I'm a little hesitant when it comes to bears while alone. Normally I would just trip the guy I'm with and make a break for it lol! I think at the very least I will be picking up some spray on Route to the park this time.

Thanks  again.

6/21/2016 5:54 am  #4

Russ sums it up well. I've also heard that loud singing works well to deter a bear from coming any closer to you. I've never felt threatened during bear encounters, but I do carry spray as a 'just in case' measure. Although I've never (knowingly) had a bear approach me at camp, I always ensure the spray is especially nearby when cooking/eating. I'm also hyper vigilant in packing all food, scented products and cooking gear and hanging it all a fair distance from my tent. 
To be honest, I'm more concerned about chipmunks than anything else as they'll rifle through your packs and steal the food from right under you!

Cheers,

Rich

6/21/2016 7:32 am  #5

Russ S wrote:

Bangers or bells are to scare them away before you see them.

Bells yes but I don't understand how that applies to bangers... you don't shoot bangers randomly and preemptively into the forest do you? Or are we talking about something different as "bangers"?

I think spray is the preferred method these days but you have to know how to use it... carry it somehow that it won't be packed away or under warm layers if and when the moment of truth comes, and practice aiming it properly without looking, because with a bear coming at you you're not going to be focusing on the nozzle to make sure it's pointing at the bear and not at you when you push the button.

6/21/2016 8:02 am  #6

i use a marine air horn from canadain tire. do not shake the can, just push da button,,

6/21/2016 8:07 am  #7

MNR issues bear spray. I don't carry any but have certainly thought about it. 

Now if you're looking for bears, then Killarney is a much better bet than Algonquin. ;-)

6/21/2016 11:20 am  #8

What are the chances that one doesn't have time or nerve to properly estimate wind direction when using a spray? For most of casual wilderness travelers I'd say it's 50/50 at best. This might end dangerously in me being disabled in the path of charging bear.
I live in bear country, though it's just 50 miles away from New York city. I met bears on the streets, met them in the woods. In 10 years I heard about one nuisance bear - it didn't run away from hikers! Should I carry the spray every day? In the woods I just talk to myself or sing, when I'm sure nobody but bears can hear me.

6/21/2016 12:34 pm  #9

I gave a lot of thought to this topic when I was buying all my "capital equipment" for camping.  I was really close to getting bear spray, but just couldn't make myself do it.  I just have color pictures of myself accidentally discharging it or, carrying the lingering stink around with me for days after the use of it and attracting animals that love a good stink.  I thought about air horns too (In fact, I always fantasized about having one on my bike when I was a kid), but that's a lot of "contents under pressure" for my taste, and I remember reading about some problems people had with those.  I settled on Storm Whistles.  I bought a pack of three.  My son will be with me at all times, he's 11, but he'll have one around his neck, and I'll have one around my neck at all times.  We both tested them out, and the test was enough for both of us.  I don't ever want to blow that thing again unless it is absolutely necessary.  It wasn't uncomfortably loud, it hurt.  It physically hurt to hear those things go off with a full blast.  My ears ached and rang for several minutes, and there's really no way to blow that whistle and avoid it unless you want to take the time to shove fingers in both your ears as far as you can at the outset.  It is just an incredible amount of shrill, painful, volume.  I can't imagine an animal wanting to stick around after hearing that thing.  It is brutally loud.  I can tell you one thing, my son will not want to screw around with it in camp.

My thought is the whistle can serve three purposes.  One, bear/wolf/other unpleasant or otherwise unsettling encounter with an animal, Two - if we somehow did become separated, this is an excellent way for us to relocate one another.  Three - if we have a problem and need to attract attention (I've already instructed my son about the "three of anything" signaling means "I need help" in the park).

The biggest downside to me is that it would require a pretty good set of nerves to be able to actually produce the required air to blow a whistle while simultaneously peeing my pants and swallowing my heart.  At the same time, intestinal fortitude is required for any "solution".  The air horn probably requires the least technique, but in the moment, you've basically got to be a person who can effectively handle a suddenly emerging, emergency situation.  Well, I guess the other downside is what if said animal decides sound alone is not enough to dissuade it.  That's not a good scene right there.

6/21/2016 2:44 pm  #10

I carry bangers only, though I've only ever needed one in almost 40 years of tripping all over Ontario.
I really don't like spray as it's way too easy to get yourself instead and the range is very short (about 30 '). I know of 3 different occasions where people got themselves instead of the bear- once was a misfire in a tent- that one was really nasty; we had to evacuate 2 people to hospital with respiratory issues.
Bangers launch about 50-100' and can be heard for over a mile, and the pen will also fire flares in an emergency. If the bear is less than 100' simply fire it straight up so the sound is BETWEEN you and the bear, never fire behind it or it will run straight at you to get away.
I'd rather scare away the bears before they get close enough for spray.

6/21/2016 3:31 pm  #11

Assuming there are many on this forum from "The States" does anyone know if it is legal to bring bear bangers into Canada? We usually get drilled hard on guns - just wondering if bangers are legit or would need to do a stop off somewhere in Canada to pick up bangers along with figuring out issues on the return trip, bringing them back into the states

Last edited by Andy W (6/21/2016 6:27 pm)

6/21/2016 4:22 pm  #12

I carry both. Have seen bears in AP not been charged but close enough that I had my stuff ready if they came any closer. Neither weigh too much and I could see choosing one over the other depending on situation (wind, how open the area between me and the bear is, how fast the bear is moving, how much time I have, etc.) Figure it is worth having if I ever need it.

6/21/2016 6:00 pm  #13

As DanPM suggested, you need to have your bear spray available for quick access. I have mine on my belt in a holster sold for bear spray. Some have mentioned that they worry about accidentally discharging the spray. As someone who has done it ( groan ), I will give you this advise - keep the safety on! Also, once you discharge it, you need to dispose of the can as it is now an animal attractant as the can smells of pepper. Bears love pepper! When I discharged mine accidentally, I was lowering my bear bag with the safety off my spray while holding it in one hand. I inadvertently squeezed the trigger, and shot ( luckily ) into the ground. I cleared out in a big hurry returning after 15 min once the orange cloud had disapated. The next day as I was leaving the camp site, heading home, I went back into the woods for one last visit to the fascilities, and as I headed back to the campsite, from behind me I heard a VERY distinct, " huff, huff, huff ". I left fast! I never saw a bear but am absolutely convinced that one was nosing around the ground where I had shot the bear spray. I still carry spray, and bangers and I like the idea of the storm whistle...... thanks for the idea dgdaddy. Something more to add to the pack lol, but I feel better having it and it sure beats having nothing at all!

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

6/21/2016 8:38 pm  #14

I carry bear spray and bangers.  I also wear a whistle when backpacking too.  All these things go into the tent with me at night as well, and are easily accessible in the event I need to evacuate.  I'd rather be too prepared and not have to use it than be ill prepared. 

6/21/2016 8:51 pm  #15

Bells yes but I don't understand how that applies to bangers... you don't shoot bangers randomly and preemptively into the forest do you? Or are we talking about something different as "bangers"?

DanPM
Yes I was referring to bells or noise makers that you carry not something you shoot like a rocket.

6/22/2016 10:32 am  #16

EddyTurn wrote:

What are the chances that one doesn't have time or nerve to properly estimate wind direction when using a spray? For most of casual wilderness travelers I'd say it's 50/50 at best. This might end dangerously in me being disabled in the path of charging bear.
I live in bear country, though it's just 50 miles away from New York city. I met bears on the streets, met them in the woods. In 10 years I heard about one nuisance bear - it didn't run away from hikers! Should I carry the spray every day? In the woods I just talk to myself or sing, when I'm sure nobody but bears can hear me.

Same here. Those little bells are worthless over wind and running water..A rangrer in Glacier suggested an air horn or a really big bell like on a buoy. Having lived in NJ in bear country in the 70's ( the age of bears knocking down tin cans every garbage collection day and finding them in neighbors kitchen) and now  we are better behaved in Maine but still in bear country.

My spray has long expired. I almost always forget it. Be of heart though I have seen Algonquin bears many times and most were with cubs. One trio of cubs and Mom was playing on diving off a log repeatedly on the Amable du Fond River while I watched.. Another mom came out of a creek on the portage to Radiant went under the bow of the canoe and fled.. Cub stopped to watch.. That was an interesting moment.

Bangers cant be fired over the bear..that might scare them to come to you Spray is of course wind dependent

Last edited by kayamedic (6/22/2016 10:34 am)

6/22/2016 12:50 pm  #17

Neither.  We make enough noise when traveling through portages to alert the local fauna of our presence.  Of the twenty or so black bears I've seen in the wild while hunting, fishing, camping, etc. I have never had one do anything but run like a deer when I was winded, seen or heard.  I assume there have been many more that scurried away unseen, unheard and un-smelled due to their awareness of my presence before I was aware of theirs.

If I run into a deadly bear, it will be my time.  I sleep like a baby knowing that the likelihood of me being killed by a falling tree is far greater so I listen more for the crack of a tree trunk than for the snap of a branch under a bruin's foot.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.