You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2016 11:13 pm  #1

Dogs in Algonquin?

In August I will be doing an 8 day canoe/camping trip with one other person in the backcountry. This will be our first time in a long time in the park. We have a dog who loves canoeing and camping. We are currently planning to bring her with us, but are a little concerned about the wildlife. Do people have recommendations on bringing a dog into the park? 

Thanks!

6/20/2016 4:01 am  #2

Re: Dogs in Algonquin?

shaboom wrote:

In August I will be doing an 8 day canoe/camping trip with one other person in the backcountry. This will be our first time in a long time in the park. We have a dog who loves canoeing and camping. We are currently planning to bring her with us, but are a little concerned about the wildlife. Do people have recommendations on bringing a dog into the park? 

Thanks!

I have never been in the park without my dog. He is a 80Lb German Shepherd/collie mix. On the portages I always keep him on a 4ft leash which I attach to my belt (fine and dandy until he spots a squirrel). I have never had an issue with him. When at camp he is ties to a 15ft lead 75% of the time. I do let him loose to explore for short periods and to play fetch etc in the water. I couldn't imagine going without him... as soon as I grab my paddles off the wall at home he just waits by the door.. I think he loves it as much as I do.

Last edited by token (6/20/2016 4:02 am)

6/20/2016 7:00 am  #3

So I'm definatley a lot more selective than token.

Any base camping trip our dog will come. Harder trips we won't take him especially in the hottest part of the summer. That is mostly to spare us though not him. Heat of the day on a 3 km portage with a canoe on my head, one less thing to worry about.

He does absolutely love it  though but I don't think I have ever met a dog that doesn't.

First thing that gets put on him is a bear bell on his collar.

Last edited by ShawnD (6/20/2016 7:01 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

6/20/2016 12:20 pm  #4

Thanks for the info! On past camping trips to other parks our dog spends most of her time off leash...but there isn't as much preditor wildlife in those parks and we are usually away from other people. She loves to camp and canoe...and I just can't imagine holding on to her while portaging. She wanders but never too far. Do you think this would be a risk for her and us given the types of wildlifs in the area, or would she be ok?

6/20/2016 12:32 pm  #5

Regs require a leash always be used. Detrimental interaction with wildlife and/or people being the prime reasons for the reg. Examples being stressed/injured wildlife (or dogs), bothered campers, unremoved poop deposits, uncontrolled barking, etc.

6/20/2016 12:45 pm  #6

Banjo always comes along with us too. She gets a bear bell put on her collar, mostly to scare wildlife away so she doesn't get into trouble (porcupine, etc), and we can always hear where she is. She sticks with us around camp and we always leash her on the portage.

Please bring a first aid kit for your dog if you don't already. We ran into an emergency on the May long weekend with Banjo which made us realize how unprepared we really were. 

I just published a post on what we include in our first aid kit for ourselves and our dog if you're interested in reading.

http://wp.me/p4KQ1Q-Ed

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

6/20/2016 5:42 pm  #7

I bring our dog but he is ALWAYS on leash. My pet peeve is dog owners who can't follow simple rules. It isn't just about how your dog acts. On our 23 day trip last year we had our dog on leash on our site. A little dog jumped out of someone's canoe swam to our site and started barking at our dog. Mojo was 'off' for the next 21 days - he wasn't bad but he was upset and worried because of this yappy dog. So yes this dog did something it should not have but that owner truly impacted our next month and had no idea. We also ran into a dog off leash with an owner who did not bring a leash. The dog barked at Mojo on the first trip and for the next 3 passes I had our dog sitting off the trail (with a canoe on my head on one pass) while the owner dragged his dog past us. I always pull off to let others pass when we have our dog - no matter what I am carrying - canoe, huge pack, etc because I have no way of knowing how they feel about dogs. Often people will ask to pet him and say not to step aside for them on the next pass. I appreciate it but do not expect it. So yes your dog needs to be on leash.

6/20/2016 5:52 pm  #8

Also Mojo loves canoeing and is good on trips - but just like kids - he has bad days - once 1/2 way across Smoke Lake I told him if he didn't settle I was taking him home and going without him. Another time he pulled so hard he flipped me with a barrell on my back. Once we had to wade a river because he was afraid of the bridge.  The day I miscalculated and went too far on the last portage it took some coaxing to get him in for the last paddle. But I never regretted bringing him.

6/21/2016 8:02 am  #9

ChristineCanoes wrote:

But I never regretted bringing him.

Love this, ChristineCanoes! I couldn't imagine going without Banjo either. She needs the time outdoors just as much as I do.

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.