You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2016 7:40 pm  #1

BUGS

Hi

new to the board but not new to algonquin... We did our first trip in 1991, but never this early

Does anyone have any recent info about the black fly numbers in the Northern part of the park next week and beyond? We are leaving June 17th for a ten day trip. We have never needed bug suits but our previously "early trip" was June 25 to July 2nd

If we have to buy bug suits, we will!

Thanks

6/06/2016 8:01 pm  #2

Re: BUGS

Where exactly are you hoping to visit? I was recently down the Pet out of Magnetawan and bugs were really bad but other areas of the park could be experiencing better conditions and other members could give you a recent report.

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

6/06/2016 8:05 pm  #3

we are leaving Cedar into Catfish Burntroot around thru Hogan and back to Cedar

Trying to avoid small lakes and the Nipissing
I keep trying not to remember the last time we did this in September... No bugs, just bears

6/06/2016 8:44 pm  #4

I always plan for bugs and have never regretted it. If you don't get the black flies you'll find the mosquitoes, horseflies, deer flies or the no see ums. Deer flies biting your feet while paddling are the worse. I have a bug shirt with a full hood that I bring on every trip. Mosses are always crazy on many of the portages in June and always worse on the ones where I am portaging the canoe and can't swat them, which is why I bring the bug shirt. A ten day trip sounds lovely.. whenever I am waffling about what to bring for bugs I just watch the 'Black Fly Song' video and I quickly come back to me senses and gear up.

6/06/2016 8:52 pm  #5

I bring a Bug shirt for on the portages if they are super crazy and Vicks vapor rub the rest of the time, it works great to keep them from biting, just lightly apply to exposed skin, way safer than using chemicals. Works for me and has for many years

Get out there and do it!!! Life's to short to wait!!

6/07/2016 11:08 pm  #6

I did Cedar-Bug Lake-Ironwood-Carl Wilson-Laurel-Aura Lee-Cedar last weekend. Bugs were Terrible. Black flies were bad and the mosquitoes were gaining ground. They were definitely worse on the smaller lakes. I'm pretty sure where Bug Lake gets its name.

I'm new to the park, so I don't have a good reference for 'normal'. Maybe I have tender western flesh, and they just like me better. I'd recommend netting hats if you have them. If you leave them in your pack, fine - but better to have them.

6/09/2016 7:36 am  #7

Yes, be prepared for lots of biting insects.  Black flies and mosquitoes are bad at this time of the season.

Not all those who wander are lost.

j.r.r. tolkien

6/09/2016 9:01 am  #8

Was on Little Island last weekend and...no bugs. Was not expecting that at all. I guess the hot, dry weather had kept them at bay. To be sitting out at dusk with minimal to no protection on both Friday and Saturday was a treat for sure. Not sure I will ever get to experience that on a June trip again.
Sunday it rained all day waking the bugs.They started to hit hard but luckily we were packing up to leave. I'm sure they are pretty bad now, especially the mosquitoes.

6/09/2016 8:36 pm  #9

Just got back today from a loop through Opeongo, Proulx, Big Crow, Lavielle, Dickson and back to Opeongo.  The bugs on Big Crow weren't bad at all but by the time we started down the Crow River through to Lavielle the bugs were murderous.  Black flies out in the afternoon then tagging the mosquitoes to finish us off in the evening.  Would bring a bug jacket for sure.

6/09/2016 9:11 pm  #10

Bring more than a bug jacket! I have about 80 bites from my last trip the weekend before last and all I used was a bug jacket. Every time I opened the hatch to take a drink or eat, a 100 of them would fly in and latch on. The only positive note was I had a whole lot of entertainment squishing them inside my jacket ha ha.They may have got my blood but I had the last laugh!

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

6/10/2016 10:09 pm  #11

kellycamps wrote:

Bring more than a bug jacket! I have about 80 bites from my last trip the weekend before last and all I used was a bug jacket. Every time I opened the hatch to take a drink or eat, a 100 of them would fly in and latch on. The only positive note was I had a whole lot of entertainment squishing them inside my jacket ha ha.They may have got my blood but I had the last laugh!

K

This scares me, i'm going in 2 weeks, where did you stay?

6/10/2016 11:13 pm  #12

I accessed at Magnetawan down the Petawawa into Misty. As I arrived back at the dock when I was leaving I saw 5 separate woman all in shorts and tank tops with not one bug flying over them. Meanwhile there was an ominous black cloud
( black flies ) circling me. Everyone of the woman were using bug spray and I,stupidly, settled for just a bug jacket on this trip. Never again!
K

- Philip Chester

6/11/2016 11:38 am  #13

I don't know which June picture scares me more: 80 bites or 5 separate woman on the dock wearing tank tops.

6/11/2016 4:58 pm  #14

kellycamps wrote:

I accessed at Magnetawan down the Petawawa into Misty. As I arrived back at the dock when I was leaving I saw 5 separate woman all in shorts and tank tops with not one bug flying over them. Meanwhile there was an ominous black cloud
( black flies ) circling me. Everyone of the woman were using bug spray and I,stupidly, settled for just a bug jacket on this trip. Never again!
K

Ah i see, well ill be lathering deep woods all day long so lets hope for the best.

EddyTurn wrote:

I don't know which June picture scares me more: 80 bites or 5 separate woman on the dock wearing tank tops.

i don't know about you but 5 women in shorts and tank tops sounds pretty good to me.

6/11/2016 7:25 pm  #15

Ok boys lets keep to the subject of camping lol

- Philip Chester

6/20/2016 8:04 am  #16

Although the original poster is now presumably in the Park, I'll offer a bug update for anyone who might be interested, having just returned from a week-long trip.  The black flies during the past week were surprisingly bad for this time of year, despite the considerable heat.  Of course, mosquitoes are out in force now too, as are the usual deer flies that are prolific in June.  A great trip can be had, though, with a bit of preparing.  If your bug strategy includes bug repellant and having a bug-free environment at the campsite, such as a bug shelter--especially for the dawn/dusk periods--you'll have no worries.  A great time to be in the Park right now, with the warm weather, and before the summer crowds arrive.

6/21/2016 10:17 pm  #17

PaddleForward wrote:

Although the original poster is now presumably in the Park, I'll offer a bug update for anyone who might be interested, having just returned from a week-long trip.  The black flies during the past week were surprisingly bad for this time of year, despite the considerable heat.  Of course, mosquitoes are out in force now too, as are the usual deer flies that are prolific in June.  A great trip can be had, though, with a bit of preparing.  If your bug strategy includes bug repellant and having a bug-free environment at the campsite, such as a bug shelter--especially for the dawn/dusk periods--you'll have no worries.  A great time to be in the Park right now, with the warm weather, and before the summer crowds arrive.

Thanks for the update, heading into the park tomorrow. We have tons of repellent and a bug shelter, so we hoping for the best.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.