You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2015 8:58 am  #1

Tell me about backcountry camping with an infant

With my wife's due date now a month away, this year's camping season is already over. So like any dedicated camper, I'm already thinking about next year's trips! While I'll beg/bribe/cajole my way into a solo trip or two next year, there will also be a canoe-wife-dog-infant daughter excursion or two taking place. And while I've got kayak solo tripping down to a science, canoe excursions with a family will be utterly new to me. So that's where you come in - tell me everything I need to know!

Things I can figure out on my own:

1. I won't be travelling a quarter of the distance I do solo. I'll be spending a lot more time on the lakes I'm usually paddling through enroute to somewhere quieter.
2. Single portaging is not going to happen. Triple portaging might be within reach if I'm lucky.
3. This is just another way of saying #2, but there will be a lot more stuff coming with.

Things I could use some advice on:

1. Canoes. Seriously. I've been on dozens and dozens of trips into Algonquin, and only two of them have been in a canoe (everyone should kayak camp, but I'll admit to being biased). Is there such a thing as a canoe big enough to carry me, my wife, an 85 pound dog, a baby, and the mountain of gear we'll inevitably be bringing? If yes, are such canoes rentable in Algonquin? Would such a canoe be paddleable solo by someone with limited (canoe) paddling experience? I suspect my wife's full-time job while in the boat will be keeping the dog and baby under control, so I'll be on my own.

2. Baby Stuff: Talk to me about things you've found invaluable to bring on trips involving babies that might not be all that obvious.

And finally, all advice and/or anecdotes are appreciated. I would like the first familly camping trip to be a smashing success. Obviously our daughter isn't going to remember it, but I want my wife to have a great time. She's been interior camping with me before and loved it, but the baby adds a whole new dimension.

Thanks!

8/21/2015 9:12 am  #2

Re: Tell me about backcountry camping with an infant

Hi Uppa,

I don't have any personal experience tripping with infants, but I have read a great book called "From Cradle to Canoe" by Rolf and Debra Kraiker.  You might find it helpful.

8/21/2015 10:48 am  #3

Most outfitters rent large canoes, but call ahead and tell them your plans, they should know which canoe in their fleet would work best. make sure you reserve it as they probably only have a few in their fleet.
it's been a couple of decages since i've brought a baby along, but we used to use a carrier made by Gerry (I think it was called the tough traveller) you  wore it like a back pack and it had a frame with a folding leg that allowed it to be used as a highchair. don't forget the sun protection and a good hat, and put down a waterproof foam mat for baby's nap time

8/21/2015 10:54 am  #4

Wow, youre in for a challenge.
Your baby will be 8 moths old or so, when you want to take him/her. Thats baby teething time, crawling around,. Sticking fists in mouth, and just be able to get around good enough to get off alotted space on blanket/tarp and not wanting to play with brought along toys. I found we needed to create a separate sleeping space behing gear (babywas able to get out of collapsable traveling bed inside tent) so as not to be able to roll over baby in sleep. Due to getting dirt inside mouth, runny diapers. Baby has no way to fend off bugs/ bites. Rainy weather, stay inside tent with baby as much as possible. Mother (me) exhausted from having to spend 24/7 on alert. Baby clothes:never enough. 

You get the picture. So, I ended up doing the following: Reserve a paddle-in site, from either Rock Lake, CanisBAy, Tim Lake, so no portaging, but having no neighbours to worry about through the night, and able to get to car when necessary. I used a 16 ft light weight rental from algonquin outfitters, and rather then portaging would be able to go back for load 2 if necesary. (it never was) But being on a paddle in site came in very handy when baby turned feverish and we had to head home. Also nice to paddle around lake, end up on beach of campground, taking baby for a stroll around campground, and canoe back to quiet site for the evening.I gave up trying to portage with a young child untill they were about 4-5 years old and able to walk on their own. Now having said that, my children are now grown, seats to buckle them into did not exist, so baby slept on floor of canoe while paddling, and we only travelled along coast line, never across a lake, no matter what. 
You may want to contac Kevin Callan (writer of canoe trip books as im sure you know, as he and his wife travelled with their baby too) Sorry, do not have any contact imformation for him.
Hope it helps a bit.But do not get discouraged, all mine ended up with the camping bug, so even if trips dont go as expected, you'll have learned a lot, and can laugh about the trials and tribulations. I would keep the first trip short though, i found up to 3 nights, 4  days allright, but longer got too complicated with having to do baby laundry, baby foods etc.
wanda S

8/21/2015 3:05 pm  #5

I think to a large extent it will depend on the temperment of your baby.  We did two trips last year with our infant, 8 months old.  We opted for back country paddle-in sites for the same reasons, we didn't want to keep anyone else awake if our baby had a rough night.  I think the paddle-in is a good compromise.

We went in late Aug/ September to avoid the bugs, and kept a close watch on the forecast and adjusted our trip as it was necessary.  A jolly jumper came in very handy when we were setting up or taking down the site, and a tarp on the ground.  We used a traveller's crib with a bug net for sleeping.      

We fit all of our gear in a 16' canoe, and had our infant in a feeding chair (unstrapped) right in front of me as we paddled.  We also didn't venture far from shore.

We are heading in next week for another backcountry trip; I'm sure this one will be more interesting as our infant is now walking and independent.

8/21/2015 4:45 pm  #6

The paddle-in site sounds like a good compromise. I wasn't considering any serious portaging, more like the ~200m portage out of Canoe Lake into all those beautiful lakes behind it. But I guess that's still the difference between an hour back to the car versus a few, and maybe that's too ambitious until she's a bit older. And yes, I'll definitely have to wait and see what her temperment is like come next summer.

Thanks very much for the advice (and any still to come!).

8/21/2015 9:16 pm  #7

We've been taking our two kids camping since the youngest was just under a year old.  I just got back from taking them on a 5 day trip, though they are a bit older now.  Here's my advice:
- We bought a large canoe.  It's an 18.5' Souris River Quetico with a third seat.  It may be more than you need at this point volume wise, but now that my kids are getting close to 10 years old the third seat comes in handy.  It's quite wide, and we've had 3, maybe even 4 small kids sitting on the third seat at once.  It'll fit two paddling 10 year olds.  The older they get, the less stuff we bring.  This is a big improvement from when I was a kid and my brother and I were crammed into the bottom of a scaldling 16' aluminum canoe.  I've seen this canoe for rent at Algonquin Portage Store & Outfitter, and I wouldn't be surprised if others carry it as well.
- With a ~1 year old, we brought a small folding playpen for the kid to sleep in, and got a bug screen that snaps over the top (you'll really want this, and can probably find it at Walmart for a few dollars).  This means you'll need a large, high tent.  You can take it outside during the day to keep the kid in one place if something requires both parents' attention.
-  We also brought a small high-chair, the kind you'd strap to a normal chair. The campsites we go to often have log benches, and we were able to strap the chain down securely, and that made meals a lot easier.
- Skip the portaging on at least the first trip.  Chances are you're going to have way too much stuff.  It'll take a trip or two to figure out the right balance.  It's also better to err on the side of luxury for the first few trips.
- You can never go wrong with a beach, or failing that at least safe shallow are to splash in.
- Keep everything else as simple as possible.  Young kids can be unpredictable.  They have their own schedule and agenda, and will change it on the fly.  Obviously the kid at that point will be on a simple meal plan, but don't plan any elaborate gourmet meals for yourselves that require a lot of time and attention.  Keep it simple, and do as much prep as you can before you head out.  Make your own dried meals ahead of time, boil them at 3 or 4pm and leave them in a pot cozy and they should be hot and ready to eat any time between 5 and 7 when you get the chance.
- Bring something to keep the kid out of the sun.  Hats are OK, but they keep getting taken off.  We've brought a beach umbrella thay screws into the ground.
- You can't burn diapers, so plan on carrying those around with you.
- Go for it.

Regards,
Dave

8/22/2015 7:31 am  #8

One thing I forgot.  You might consider 'investing' in a large cheap tent.  Kids can be a bit rough on a tent, and you'll probably appreciate the extra space.  We've been using a $100 tent (it was on sale at Costco) for the last 6 years and it's held up pretty well, but has much more wear and tear than my 12 year old tent.  Zippers and screens seem to take the brunt of the abuse.

8/22/2015 7:36 am  #9

Wow, it seems Dave and I are the same person! I have 3 boys, now 3, 5 and 8. They're all born in the summer, and they've all been in the backcountry before they were a month old. There's nothing to it. In fact, it's much easier camping with an 8-month-old than a 2-year-old. They don't move as fast, and are just as unreasonable. Couple of additional thoughts: 

1) If the baby is breastfeeding, camping under a year old is pretty good. They are not very mobile, and the meals are always ready. If not breastfeeding, start trying powdered baby formula well before the trip, so they get used to it. The single-use baby food packets are great, they can suck it right out of the packet (but you do have to pack it out). 

2) Pack out the disposable diapers - this is the easiest solution. I have friends who used reusable diapers on week-long trip, and this means less garbage, but more washing of poop diapers in the backcountry. A compromise is to use reusable diapers, wash out the pee diapers during the trip, but keep the poo diapers for washing after the trip at home. 

3) Playpen - if you are getting a baby registry, put the Phil/Teds playpen on it: http://www.amazon.ca/Phil-Teds-Traveller-Crib-Black/dp/B009VYX4FO/ We had an older model, it's really light weight, great for camping and all kinds of travel. 

4) High chair - like Dave, I agree regarding the high chair. It gives you a rest so that you can eat your dinner in peace. Again, try at home many times before taking camping. 

5) Site selection: Go for a site with a beach, both for fun and for safety. Kids will play for hours on a beach. And a steep drop-off isn't the safest thing. Beach sites on Pen, Shirley and Ralph Bice, as well as Rosebary. Ralph Bice below:

6) Life jackets: start putting the life jacket on the kid as early as possible, again so they get used to it. The infant life jackets are not the most comfortable thing, but they get used to it and it's just fine. If you leave close to London ON, message me and you can have my infant jacket to borrow for several months. They wear these only for one season, and there are better ways to spend $80. 

7) I too have a Souris Quetico 18.5. Great canoe, fits a family of 5 (and a dog) nicely, we've done week-long trips with it. 17-footers work well with a family of 4. 

8) Old, but great site about camping with kids:
http://www.gregcons.com/canoe/kidpaddle.htm

Cheers,
Marko

Last edited by Marko_Mrko (8/22/2015 7:39 am)

12/12/2017 11:37 am  #10

As a Dad to be in April I have very much appreciated this thread. Any new words of wisdom two years after the original posting?

12/12/2017 12:24 pm  #11

RCShevalier wrote:

As a Dad to be in April I have very much appreciated this thread. Any new words of wisdom two years after the original posting?

Congrats on the upcoming dadhood! New words of wisdom as the father of a two-and-a-bit-year old: I was totally confident I could take a baby interior camping... until I had a baby. Then those plans went out the window ;)

When my daughter was almost 1 we took her car camping in the Pinery. That wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't a great deal of fun either. She was still...well.. a baby, and that means a lot of work. She wasn't old enough to really understand or appreciate anything about what we were doing or where we were, so really it was just an exercise in making our baby care routines extra difficult. There was very little time to relax and enjoy ourselves. 

Undaunted, we tried the Pinery again this past summer (when she was almost 2) and it was an absolute and total blast. She had a great time, was engaged, loved every moment of it. It was super fun for her parents too. 

This summer (age 3) will likely be another car camping trip or two. The summer after I think we'll be ready for a paddle-in site somewhere in Algonquin, and at age 5 I think we might try an 'interior lite' trip with some portaging and moving camp at least once. 

Mind you, I'm still solo camping in Algonquin. If my options were to either take my daughter or not get into Algonquin at all, I'd be taking her in a heartbeat. But I don't think she'll get anything out of a real camping experience until she's older and so for us at least, what works best is that the family goes car camping while Bob still sneaks into the Algonquin interior when nobody's looking. 

12/12/2017 2:20 pm  #12

RCShevalier wrote:

This thread was before I joined here and it’s been fun to read. I’ll throw my experience in: the youngest I’ve taken a child on an interior trip was Sec Lake this summer with my two year old. He had a blast, I was a nervous wreck that he would stumble into the fire/stumble into the water/just generally stumble. Still, it was a good time.

I don’t know if I’d personally want to take a younger child into the interior. As Uppa says, it seems like it’d just be upping the degree of difficulty in taking care of the baby. Depends on the baby though. Car camping might be a good way to try it out first.

Drew

12/12/2017 2:33 pm  #13

Marko_Mrko wrote:

2) Pack out the disposable diapers - this is the easiest solution. I have friends who used reusable diapers on week-long trip, and this means less garbage, but more washing of poop diapers in the backcountry. A compromise is to use reusable diapers, wash out the pee diapers during the trip, but keep the poo diapers for washing after the trip at home. 

We took reusable diapers until one memorable weekend to Booth Lake where it was too damp to dry anything.  We had to cut up one of the kids blankets to create some extra diapers to get us home.  We took disposable diapers on trips after that.

Marko_Mrko wrote:

3) Playpen - if you are getting a baby registry, put the Phil/Teds playpen on it: http://www.amazon.ca/Phil-Teds-Traveller-Crib-Black/dp/B009VYX4FO/ We had an older model, it's really light weight, great for camping and all kinds of travel. 

I remember my ex-wife tying our youngest child with a few feet of rope to a tree so he couldn't crawl towards the lake.  Unfortunately, our friend Elly didn't believe in that so we'd find him heading towards the lake after she had untied him.

Marko_Mrko wrote:

5) Site selection: Go for a site with a beach, both for fun and for safety. Kids will play for hours on a beach. And a steep drop-off isn't the safest thing. Beach sites on Pen, Shirley and Ralph Bice, as well as Rosebary. Ralph Bice

We are in Ottawa and our preferred destination when my kids were young and now that we have grandchildren was Lake Travers.   Booth lake is another good location for family trips though it does involve some portaging.

Marko_Mrko wrote:

7) I too have a Souris Quetico 18.5. Great canoe, fits a family of 5 (and a dog) nicely, we've done week-long trips with it. 17-footers work well with a family of 4. 

I still have a 17.5 foot kevlar Swift Yukon that was originally purchased for family trips.  We still use it for family trips and Thanksgiving Weekend trips with friends where we have a large amount of gear to carry along.

12/22/2017 11:02 am  #14

Looks like just about everything's been covered, the playpen, solid tent, bug screen and large canoe....

I just wanted to add to the mental aspect of it, you're so used to traveling distances, budgeting your time around the travel and work you'll have to do as well as the sharing of responsibilities..... throw all of that out....
More than likely the canoe trip will be stressful and exhausting for your partner and daughter, you'll have to plan on taking over the lion's share of responsibilities and then be ready to take over the infant when you're done.... and don't even think of bringing a fishing rod.
This is the trip to bring the creature comforts you wouldn't normally think of, larger chairs, big area blankets etc..
There is no way of avoiding the dirt, it's just something that has to be accepted if the plan is to keep her spotless, it's going to be a long weekend (on that note, triple whatever clothing rations you were planning on packing).
My recollections from those early trips with my kids was basically that you're first moment of relaxation will be when everyone else has fallen asleep for the night...... but it was so worth it. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.