You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2016 7:46 am  #1

Recommendation for a First-Time Solo Trip

Hello,

There have been topics on here in the past about solo tripping, but I was wondering if any of you could recommend a great place to try out my first solo trip in Algonquin. I would have to rent a solo canoe from an outfitter (because we have a 17.6' canoe).

Would it make sense to head out from Canoe Lake? I'm initially thinking of a weekend (Friday night, Saturday night), but might make it into 4 days (Friday - Monday).

I've only ever put on many miles in a tandem canoe with my husband but would like to try and get out there on my own.

Rock Lake also looks inviting.

Thank you for your ideas.

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

5/31/2016 7:56 am  #2

Re: Recommendation for a First-Time Solo Trip

I mainly trip solo and I use my 17' Swift Prospector canoe. I honestly prefer the feeling of having a bigger boat.. but I also bring my 80lb dog with me (who has to learn how to paddle). Are you bringing your dog Banjo? I would try and stay away from Canoe Lake just because of all the yahoo's that go in that way. Rock Lake is always good IMO. My favourites for going solo are Magnetewan and Cache. Lots of opportunity from both and aside from a few lakes they are mostly pretty small. I just got back from a solo through Achray yesterday and I am leaving early tomorrow for Magnetewan and will hopefully do Little Misty, Little Trout and Ralph Bice.

5/31/2016 9:45 am  #3

I don't have specific recommendations for Algonquin but below is what I looked for in a first solo trip:

- small lakes; I wanted to avoid big lakes that could pick up lots of wind
- shorter distances than usual; I wasn't sure how fast I would travel while paddling solo so I made sure not to be too ambitious. The downside is that you may end up with a lot of time at camp. I usually bring a book and enjoy it but I know of other people who end up using that time to work up their fear.
- reasonable portages; We always single carry when going tandem while I knew I'd have to double carry during a solo
- Not too remote; For my first time I wanted to be in the backcountry but not so far away that help would be difficult to find should something go wrong.

I rented a solo boat and paddled it with a double bladed kayak paddle as my solo paddling skills are still novice. I think I would have really struggled to keep control of a larger boat.

Have an awesome time. I really want to head out again on a solo but with limited vacation time I've been prioritizing tandem trips with family. 

5/31/2016 11:10 am  #4

Hoping to go solo  this July for my first time. Looking at putting in on rain lake and heading to islet or maybe through to Muslim.  Not too far but far enough.

5/31/2016 12:31 pm  #5

token wrote:

Are you bringing your dog Banjo?

No, I'm not going to bring Banjo with me. I really want to, but I don't want the added stress of paddling an unfamiliar canoe with her in it. Plus I want to take photographs and film.

The Mag route sounds great, but my husband, Banj and I are doing that in July. Mag-Hambone-Daisy-Misty-Grass Bay-White Trout-Big Trout-White Trout-McIntosh-Misty-Moccasin-Casey-Daisy-Mag.

Thanks for the advice!

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

5/31/2016 12:32 pm  #6

CanoeClaire wrote:

- small lakes; I wanted to avoid big lakes that could pick up lots of wind
- shorter distances than usual; I wasn't sure how fast I would travel while paddling solo so I made sure not to be too ambitious. The downside is that you may end up with a lot of time at camp. I usually bring a book and enjoy it but I know of other people who end up using that time to work up their fear.
- reasonable portages; We always single carry when going tandem while I knew I'd have to double carry during a solo
- Not too remote; For my first time I wanted to be in the backcountry but not so far away that help would be difficult to find should something go wrong.

I rented a solo boat and paddled it with a double bladed kayak paddle as my solo paddling skills are still novice. I think I would have really struggled to keep control of a larger boat. 

All great advice. Top of my list is smaller lakes because of the wind issue. I want to do some filming and photography and hope that this will take up most of my time. I thought about base camping, but you're right, I could get bored. I'd like to keep moving and keep myself busy.

Thanks for the advice!

5/31/2016 4:03 pm  #7

Get a solo canoe: if you were lucky enough to ditch a partner you don't have to haul his half of the boat. Find a manageable route: you don't want to be intimidated by large lakes or too much solitude. Don't make your trip too short: 2 or 3 days probably not enough (both time and distance) to get a proper feeling of solitude and definitely not enough to get into the routine on your first trip. Don't be afraid to put some time and distance under your belt.  Allow yourself more time for everything: paddling, portaging, setting up the camp. If you are planning your paddling days to be as long as on a tandem trip, you'd probably need more calories per day, like 40% more. Work on your solo skills before the trip if possible.

5/31/2016 7:14 pm  #8

Waboose Adventures wrote:

token wrote:

Are you bringing your dog Banjo?

No, I'm not going to bring Banjo with me. I really want to, but I don't want the added stress of paddling an unfamiliar canoe with her in it. Plus I want to take photographs and film.

The Mag route sounds great, but my husband, Banj and I are doing that in July. Mag-Hambone-Daisy-Misty-Grass Bay-White Trout-Big Trout-White Trout-McIntosh-Misty-Moccasin-Casey-Daisy-Mag.

Thanks for the advice!

That's the route I did on my early May trip, beautiful area.  I don't like revisiting areas too often either, but I did Magnetawan to Queer Lake last week for three days, just two weeks after my first trip from Mag, and really enjoyed it. It was just far enough to keep me busy travelling, but gave me lots of time to photograph as well. It didn't feel redundant to me since Magnetawan and Hambone are such small sections of  both routes.

I would reiterate others' comments about staying on smaller lakes if possible.  Your larger tandem will kill your travel times, but don't underestimate the learning curve with a solo boat - it's dramatically different if you're dealing with wind and waves.
If you've seen any of my older videos, or seen some pictures of me many years ago, you know that I love to paddle small lakes, rivers and creeks solo.  They're great for learning how to handle a small solo boat particularly.  For that reason, I too would recommend the Petawawa or Tim River for a first solo trip.

5/31/2016 7:27 pm  #9

Would you feel better visiting someplace you are more familiar with or head out into waters you've not travelled before?
Whatever you plan, I'm sure you'll have a great time. I think it's the most empowering thing I've ever done and I'm sure you'll feel the same.  I look forward to more of your photos from your solo.

K

"Anyone can make love in a canoe, it's a Canadian who knows enough to take out the centre thwart!        Bahahaha!
                                                                      - Philip Chester

5/31/2016 8:35 pm  #10

I second CanoeClaire's points, especially the first 3, and I'll say Rain-Daisy-Addison-Jubilee-home is a great starting solo loop for 3 days (probably could easily do it in 2 if paddling tandem, or with more solo experience). Small lakes and only two long portages which you can basically devote your first day to getting past. I know it overlaps a bit with your planned July trip but whatever, you'll pass that section quickly in July.

And no I wouldn't start from Canoe Lake, unless you're heading west into the portage-heavy Drummer/Panther area. Northbound trips from Canoe Lake spend a long first segment on crowded, motorized lakes with lots of cottage and commercial leases, and while I don't mind shooting past all that on a regular trip, the slower pace of a novice solo trip means it will be your whole first day if not more.

Give some serious thought to bringing Banjo though... a golden retriever can really be a buffer against the maddening loneliness of the forest night. Perhaps less important on a high-season trip, but I was glad I had one with me when I soloed the aforementioned Rain Lake route mid-week in October.

5/31/2016 10:07 pm  #11

You could go either way at canoe/smoke lake to give a solo a go. If you have time and don't mind some extra portages, starting at canoe and going to sunbeam lake is nice. It's not as busy on the sunbeam loop. Some of the portages are a bit more difficult

if you start at smoke lake, ragged lake is ok for a night, but I am not a huge fan because you seem to get groups that just pack in there for a few nights and are loud. But it can be a nice trip down that way to big porcupine and into bonnechere, etc

or there's the oxtongue river that you could for for a night or two. Mostly a very easy paddle, as long as you know where the portages are!

6/01/2016 10:13 am  #12

My Self Reliance wrote:

I would reiterate others' comments about staying on smaller lakes if possible.  Your larger tandem will kill your travel times, but don't underestimate the learning curve with a solo boat - it's dramatically different if you're dealing with wind and waves.
If you've seen any of my older videos, or seen some pictures of me many years ago, you know that I love to paddle small lakes, rivers and creeks solo.  They're great for learning how to handle a small solo boat particularly.  For that reason, I too would recommend the Petawawa or Tim River for a first solo trip.

I like the sound of Petawawa or Tim River. I have been wanting to paddle the Tim for quite some time. Thanks for the advice, Shawn!

And, I enjoyed the videos of your recent trip along the route we'll be taking in the summer. I especially loved the river otters!

6/01/2016 10:16 am  #13

DanPM wrote:

Give some serious thought to bringing Banjo though... a golden retriever can really be a buffer against the maddening loneliness of the forest night. Perhaps less important on a high-season trip, but I was glad I had one with me when I soloed the aforementioned Rain Lake route mid-week in October.

Maybe you're right. I do lover her company. I should spend a day in Algonquin renting a canoe, practicing solo paddling, and paddling with Banjo to see how I make out. If it's fine, then I will definitely bring her. Her night time warning barks are always welcome.

6/01/2016 2:16 pm  #14

Here's what I did last fall for a solo. Rented a solo 15 ft keewaydin  at oxtongue river. Did oxtongue to the falls, as well as to oxtongue  lake. Lovely way to get to know your solo canoe. Slept a night at wolfs den, then did park lake I. Full head wind ( small lake just before you enter on the west gate) . Loved the canoe, steered straight, added heavy barrel ( or your dog) and did this as a day trip trying out turns, shallow water, weedy areas etc. Loved it.
I recommend doing rock lake to galeiry to pen to Clydesdale. very easy and short portage to galeiry. bummed around there, easy access to campsites, did portage to pen lake, then down to Clydesdale, all easy portages. Falls at pen lake are great to swim in. Tried finding south Madawaska from Clydesdale but no luck. Back up to rock through pen lake. You can take as long as you like to do the short round trip.
Have fun! And if banjo goes overboard it's not too far to swim to shore for him if you keep his 'ikely love for Water in mind. With the dog in tow, you won't have much room for your bags, or barrel, so travel light.
People close by in case of an emergency. Book ahead, it's a popular circle. All small lakes, unless you want to travel galeiry to Whitney.

6/02/2016 11:59 am  #15

I'm new to the area and to solo, but I'm gearing up for my first solo weekender this weekend. I hit Opeonogo last week for a day trip trial and learned a couple things:

1. Pick your canoe carefully. Swift Osprey 15 is not a good canoe for beginner solo. Very lively little boat, but a better choice for calm weather acrobatics than for tripping. I dropped a fishing line in the water late morning and was looking over the side thinking, "If I get a big one, he's gonna roll me over in this thing and take my lunch money." I'm going to try the Shearwater 16 this week. It should be a lot more stable. (I'd like to try the Keewaydin 15, but Alg Outfitters only has them on the west side locations.)

2. As was said above, big open water is not friendly to novice solo paddlers. I'm a strong and reasonably skilled paddler, so did what I thought was going to be a nice 12km paddle. I misjudged the weather and got hit by a good 15kt headwind on the way back. Felt like 25k by the time I was done and pushed me to my limits to make it around some of the headlands. If you plan for a big open stretch, plan your time so that you can pull into shore and wait out the weather if things turn nasty.

3. If you're paddling an unfamiliar canoe and inexperienced at solo, leave your gear on the shore, paddle out 25 yds and practice a dump and self-rescue before you go. I can't stress this one enough. If you can't do a deep water self-rescue, you shouldn't be doing backcountry or open water solo. Better to learn this at the dock than 20km from help. I did this in the Osprey (it sucked) but it gave me a lot more confidence that I wasn't going to perish in a watery grave when the weather got nasty and I was fighting to make the last headland in a crosswind.

I learned a few things about gear, but have yet to trial them so I won't act like I know what I'm talking about until I have. My big advice so far is just to plan cautiously and make sure you've got your emergency and survival gear well planned. Your room for error is significantly reduced when you're on your own.

I'll post a trip report when I get back on Mon and probably update this thread with some lessons learned.

Last edited by Lotek (6/02/2016 11:59 am)

6/21/2016 4:46 pm  #16

I take Mojo on solos but it is a lot more work so definately worth thinking about. My first solo was Achray after I was familiar with the route. Nothing worse than being in the bush and the only group you've seen in hours is a group of guys who made you nervous - so my suggestion is start with a route that has people on it like Achray, Canoe, Smoke, etc.

6/22/2016 12:51 pm  #17

ChristineCanoes wrote:

Nothing worse than being in the bush and the only group you've seen in hours is a group of guys who made you nervous - so my suggestion is start with a route that has people on it like Achray, Canoe, Smoke, etc.

This is a really good point and unfortunately, one that women need to think about more critically than men.

My first solo I was definitely nervous about the loud group of frat boys across the lake who kept hollering at me. But, I also knew there was another group of women on the lake too and that helped me sleep a bit sounder. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.