You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2016 5:37 am  #1

Bug Report

Now that the ice is gone does anyone have the first bug report of the season or a prediction what they will be like this year

5/04/2016 1:03 pm  #2

Re: Bug Report

In south Muskoka they arrived yesterday in full force. No biting, just fly bye's. Today however they have their teeth with them. The  60 corridor is usually a week behind us. Should be fine this week end.

5/04/2016 1:50 pm  #3

Was in Kawartha Highlands P.P. for 4 days just got back and yesterday was the first day of the blackflies. They seemed to be out in full force but not biting much.

5/04/2016 2:00 pm  #4

Out already? Seriously? I'm heading into Algonquin in 5 days and it hadn't even crossed my mind to bring the bug jacket. 

5/04/2016 6:00 pm  #5

Was out on the WUT this past weekend and harmless midges were the only thing I saw. Snow is pretty well gone except in some shady spots. Low lying areas are muddy.

Dave

5/04/2016 6:30 pm  #6

On this note..... I'm heading into the park fist thing Friday morning. Should we bring bug jackets??
Thanks!!

5/04/2016 7:17 pm  #7

I'm bringing a head net only, no bug jacket, and I don't really expect to need it.  As usual, there will be a few small pockets of black flies and mosquitoes, the former not really biting and the latter biting but slow moving. The sucky thing is that the lakes are only recently opening but the rivers and creeks have been open for awhile and some of them will be warm enough for black fly breeding.

5/04/2016 8:37 pm  #8

Great thanks!

5/04/2016 8:51 pm  #9

MatteoP wrote:

On this note..... I'm heading into the park fist thing Friday morning. Should we bring bug jackets??
Thanks!!

Things can change so quickly at this time of year. I guess it's better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Dave

5/05/2016 5:36 am  #10

token wrote:

Was in Kawartha Highlands P.P. for 4 days just got back and yesterday was the first day of the blackflies. They seemed to be out in full force but not biting much.

Remember the ice has been out in Kawartha for 2 weeks longer than Algonquin.

5/05/2016 7:19 am  #11

token wrote:

Yes! I dropped my husband off at the Coon Lake Access on Friday and was swarmed by black flies. But, 20 minutes down the road on Clear Lake, there were none.

Nothing in Bracebridge area yet. Planning on going out this weekend and will bring the shelter just in case. I'm sure these warm temperatures will bring 'em out.

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

5/05/2016 7:36 am  #12

Waboose Adventures wrote:

token wrote:

Yes! I dropped my husband off at the Coon Lake Access on Friday and was swarmed by black flies. But, 20 minutes down the road on Clear Lake, there were none.

Nothing in Bracebridge area yet. Planning on going out this weekend and will bring the shelter just in case. I'm sure these warm temperatures will bring 'em out.

Where are ya headed this weekend? I have until next Thursday off work so I have lots of time for some last minute trips. Thinking about leaving tomorrow for Cache Lake on HWY 60 for a couple of nights on Head, Harness, Pardee etc for trout fishing. Maybe leave Monday morning for a trip to Achray... Cant make up my mind though, car is already packed regardless

5/09/2016 6:24 am  #13

They're out in Muskoka and Haliburton Highlands! Needed my bug jacket and the Eureka mesh room on the weekend.

www.wabooseadventures.com 

Photographer | Blogger | Outdoors Woman | Canoeing | Camping | Hiking | Connecting with Nature | Landscape, Nature, and Wildlife Photography

5/09/2016 7:12 am  #14

I was in Algonquin from the 3-7 and by the end of the trip mosquitoes were out.  Not many but they were big and biting.  There was a big emergence on the 6th.  The lake I fished that day was covered with mosquitoes and midges emerging and when I stopped on shore for lunch the buzz from back in the bush was just like peak season.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

5/09/2016 11:39 am  #15

I was on the WUT Wed to Sat. Midges were crazy. Millions, probably on the low side. Mozzy's were out every now and then. I did get 3 black fly bites. Actually watched one land and dig in. It was hot on Friday thou.

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/09/2016 4:35 pm  #16

That's odd. I was on Rosebary 5-7. Mosquitos were out at dusk only. Not biting. I think I applied repellent once the whole 3 days. Not 1 bite. No black flies to speak of.

Last edited by ShawnD (5/09/2016 4:35 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/10/2016 2:57 am  #17

ShawnD wrote:

That's odd. I was on Rosebary 5-7. Mosquitos were out at dusk only. Not biting. I think I applied repellent once the whole 3 days. Not 1 bite. No black flies to speak of.

Hey Shawn,

This is off the bug topic but I'm heading to Rosebary this weekend and had a question.  What kind of shape was the access road in?

Thanks,

Chris

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.