You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2016 8:10 am  #1

Shall Lake Access Road / Permit Office?

I have to confess that I've never started a camping trip from the Shall Lake access point. To fix that, I have a trip booked starting there on Friday. Ignoring the fact that ice-out may not have happened by Friday, should I be worried that the access road will be undriveable? I've been hearing reports that the Rock Lake road is still snow covered so I'm thinking this road could be the same and I may need to change plans. I'm just in a car, not a truck or 4x4. 

Assuming it's driveable, will the permit office even be open or should I be stopping by the east gate? 

4/26/2016 8:15 am  #2

Re: Shall Lake Access Road / Permit Office?

If the Park is 'open' the permit office at Shall will be open too. There are a lot of people starting their trip form that access point this weekend, so I doubt they'd leave the permit office unstaffed.

The road itself is a fairly wide, heavily used gravel road. Don't know that it'll be plowed but the quality of the road is better than a lot of other access points.

Best to call the East Gate to be sure.. or check the FoA site before you leave Friday morning - it should tell you what is open and what is closed (assuming the entire park isn't open).

4/26/2016 10:34 am  #3

Uppa wrote:

I have to confess that I've never started a camping trip from the Shall Lake access point. To fix that, I have a trip booked starting there on Friday. Ignoring the fact that ice-out may not have happened by Friday, should I be worried that the access road will be undriveable? I've been hearing reports that the Rock Lake road is still snow covered so I'm thinking this road could be the same and I may need to change plans. I'm just in a car, not a truck or 4x4. 

Assuming it's driveable, will the permit office even be open or should I be stopping by the east gate? 

Don't waste the trip until you have checked with the Park.  If the Park is open by then, not all  access points will be reachable.  Stopping at either Gate won't change the conditions.

The Shall Lake office is on a major logging/cottage road.  In normal conditions, it's in better shape than the paved roads around my home.

Check out the updated (today) ice-out page: http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/ice-out.php

Yes, that first photo is from today!

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/26/2016 11:03 am  #4

That first photo is incredibly depressing. 

4/27/2016 1:21 pm  #5

Kind of moot now, eh?

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/2016/2016-04-13_delayed_spring_opening.php

April 27, 2016 UPDATE

Ontario Parks has issued a special bulletin reporting…

Due to ongoing cool temperatures and current ice and snow conditions, the scheduled opening of the following affected areas of Algonquin Park are further delayed from April 28, 2016 to a tentative new opening date of May 4, 2016. Staff will be contacting all affected reservation holders today to advise them of these changes.

Closed Facilities in Algonquin Park
All backcountry canoeing campsites
Eastern Pines Backpacking Trail
Western Uplands Backpacking Trail via the Rain Lake Access Point (access from km 3 of Highway 60 permitted)
All ranger cabins (except Kiosk Ranger Cabin)
All portages
All access points
Achray Campground
Brent Campground

Closed Roads in Algonquin Park
The following roads are closed because of deep snow and/or soft muddy conditions. Public travel is not permitted at this time.

Arowhon Road (closed until May 4*)
Source Lake Road (closed until May 4*)
Rock Lake Road (opening April 28)
Sunday Lake Road (closed until May 4*)
Centennial Ridges Road
Lake Travers/Barron Canyon Road (closed until May 4*)
Achray Road (closed until May 4*)
McManus Lake Road (closed until May 4*)
Bissett Creek Road (closed until May 4*)
Brent Road (closed until May 4*)
Brain Lake Road (closed until May 4*)
Forestry Tower Road (providing access to Tim River and Magnetawan Lake Access Points) (closed until May 4*)
Rain Lake Road (closed until May 4*)
Basin Road (closed until May 4*)
Major Lake Road (providing access to the Shall Lake Access Point) (closed until May 4*)

* Roads may open sooner depending upon the status of delayed openings and road conditions.

A flight is booked for May 2, 2016 (weather and aircraft permitting) to further assess the conditions in Algonquin Park's backcountry.

Last edited by Barbara (4/27/2016 1:27 pm)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/27/2016 4:26 pm  #6

Sadly yes, yes it is.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.