You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2016 11:06 pm  #1

hint for aluminum tent poles

Hi -
I bought a North Face Tadpole 2 not too long ago, and set it up today for the first time.  Better at home on a nice day than in the woods when it is pouring, right?  It has aluminum tent poles, and I'm not a big fan of those for two reason: one because they tend to memorize their bend a bit, which means if you are off that memorized curve just a bit, the segments are kind of tight to connect, and two, when they are tight, and maybe wet or cold, it can be a challenge to disconnect them.  I don't know about the rest of the world, but first thing in the morning, hand strength is not my greatest quality.  So, here's my big hint. 

If you throw two small squares of cabinet shelf liner (about the size of the palm of your hand) - the type that is kind of tacky to the touch - in your tent bag, problem solved.  Those will grip the aluminum on days when your hands aren't quite equal to the task.

4/25/2016 11:26 am  #2

Re: hint for aluminum tent poles

Can't say I ever had that problem with my aluminum poles but every tent is different. You might want to try lubricating the ends of the poles, where they fit together, with some candle wax. Just rub some on. That may allow them to mate a little more smoothly.

Last edited by Algonquintripper (4/25/2016 11:27 am)

Dave

4/26/2016 12:19 pm  #3

Re: hint for aluminum tent poles

I've also never had an issue with my aluminum poles.
Never experienced any of the "memory" you're talking about.
I had my TNF RoadRunner 3 for 10+ years and never experienced it.
If you're having an issue perhaps speak with TNF about it; their warranty was superb the one time I had to use it.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.