You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2016 10:00 pm  #1

La Muir, Hogan

Just wondering if anyone has spent time in the La Muir/Hogan area early may, I paddled through the area a few years back but pretty much just kept moving. I've heard good things about both but any suggestions about sites, fishing etc. Also I was curious how much boat traffic is in their, I know when I paddled through last time I only saw one small boat on La Muir and I went straight through Hogan from La Muir to the Hogan-Big Crow portage so didn't see most of the lake. Any info would be appreciated I'm guessing my April 22 start on Lavieille won't happen and I was thinking of changing it up a little.

4/12/2016 10:46 pm  #2

Re: La Muir, Hogan

Hi Ahubbs,

Was into Hogan last year mid may for two nights.  Did not see any other canoeists or motor boats although lots of evidence the areas is frequently used.   Stayed on the first island site coming in from portage from Big Crow.  Both island sites here are good IMO.  Also sampled a couple of sites down towards north end of the lake and they were respectable. We fished around the islands and down the shoreline to Little Madawaska and back one day and managed decent trout fishing (lakes and specks) with a bonus whitefish from Parks Bay (yum!) thrown into the mix.  

I am headed back through for one day the first of May ice out permitting for another loop so I suppose I would recommend the area.  If I had to recommend a loop direction I would come in from Big Crow and leave via La Muir.  The first km of portage out of Hogan to Big Crow was quite an uphill grind for me and my less than stellar physical fitness level...

Have a great trip.

Jon P

4/13/2016 8:06 am  #3

Thanks Jon, I appreciate the feedback, I was mostly concerned about the traffic so hopefully I have a similar experience. I've done the Hogan-Big Crow portage as well and similarly I'm not in the best shape, the first Km is a killer. I'm going to use the cart trail this year as I like to bring extra food and a few amenities on my spring trip. Heading in May 30 4 nights Hogan, 1 night La Muir, 1 night Burntroot, back to La Muir for a night and finally 1 night on the North arm of Opeongo. I've been doing the same Dickson, Lavieille trip in the spring for a decade so it should be nice to see some of the other lakes with some time to explore, and I can skip the Wright Cart Trail or Dickson- Bonfield Portage. I'll be in a Green canoe and a Lime Green tent, Lime green tarp stop in and say hi if your in the area  Cheers

4/13/2016 8:39 am  #4

Motor Restrictions in Algonquin Park
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/park_management/motor-restrictions.php

(d) Motors of 6 horsepower or less may be used, except from the last Friday in June to the first Monday in September inclusive, on:
    Big Crow Lake
    Hogan Lake
    Lake La Muir
    Proulx Lake
    Little Crow Lake
    White Partridge Lake

Last edited by Barbara (4/13/2016 8:41 am)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/15/2016 5:13 pm  #5

I have tripped through these lakes many times and my favourite is Burntroot and Redpine Bay. One day at Burntroot won't give you much time to explore the lake. It is really beautiful and fun to fish.  

4/15/2016 6:10 pm  #6

Thanks Barbara/Fred, I actually just tagged on Burntroot at the end to go have a look, I'm actually spending the majority of my time on Hogan. Thought since I was in the area I should at least have a look. Probably just troll up one shoreline and camp and troll down the next the day after. Call it a scouting mission. Thanks for the feedback.

4/15/2016 6:24 pm  #7

Another excellent site on Hogan is the western point on the north side as the lake opens up into Parks Bay. Its sort of long and thin, up about 10' from tne lake surface,  but plenty wide and completely flat, with vistas all around.Both lakes have very good fishing. The portage from LaMuir to Burntroot while only about 750m, is straight up and down...some nice cliffs on the south side of Hogan, a few hawk and raven nests up there. You will enjoy yourself. Your big issue will be wishing you had more days to fish the area!

Moonman.

Last edited by Moonman (4/16/2016 12:08 am)

4/15/2016 6:36 pm  #8

Thanks Moonman, I guess there are worse problems to have. Appreciate the insight.

4/25/2016 6:59 pm  #9

Going to have to agree with a few other folks here about Burntroot, one of the best in the park.....

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.