You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2016 2:19 pm  #1

Round Island Lake Campsites

Hello,

Thinking about spending a few nights on Round Island Lake this coming May and was wondering if anyone has camped on the lake and if so, which site they had preferred ?

Thanks
Joe

4/10/2016 2:57 pm  #2

Re: Round Island Lake Campsites

Hi Joe, this is the site on the big peninsula on Round Island.  It's not bad.  I can't recall what the others are like but nothing really stood out as spectacular.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/10/2016 8:31 pm  #3

I stayed on Round Island two summers ago.  I had the late to myself, and I did a quick survey of all the sites before settling on the peninsula site, which I really liked.  It had a great view of the late.  In the water off the point, there were huge rocks just beneath the surface.

The island site had a lot of left behind gear like pots and pans hanging in the trees.  The site didn't seem that great.  I felt like I was in intruding in someone else's space.  The other two sites seemed pretty heavily treed, and didn't have great access from the water.  I just paddled by expecting to end up at the island site.

4/11/2016 8:47 am  #4

Thanks Tripper and UpTheCreek, looks like the site on the point may be home for a few days, provided that it is available! Nice Photo's!

Joe

4/11/2016 9:41 am  #5

Joe, both times I've been on the lake in May I never saw another party.  Are you planning to fish?  I've had some good luck in there.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

4/13/2016 8:20 pm  #6

Hello Tripper,

Yes, we are planning on fishing a little bit and just relax and enjoy the park!

Joe

4/14/2016 10:52 am  #7

I stayed on the southern most side 2 years ago. It has good seating, and the side is mostly covered (good wind/rain cover) by trees but still open. There's a good spot on the front for viewing the sunset/rise. Lots of medium sized rocks, no sand, and the site was mostly pine needles and soft.

We briefly checked out the other sites and came to the conclusion that the southern most site was the best on the lake, but then again, we never actually stayed on the other sites. We stayed there 2 nights in early august and didnt see anyone the first night and the second night there was 1  other group on the lake far away from us.

One night i woke up to a pack of coyotes around our site, i never actually bothered to see how close they were, but man were they loud! 

Last edited by hoser89 (4/14/2016 10:54 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.