You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2016 9:48 am  #1

Solo Cooking Setup

Just wondering for the soloists out there, what do you usually take for cooking purposes? Do you limit your cooking requirements to boiling water -- i.e., rehydrating meals -- or do you still take along a fry pan, a second pot, or whatever else? I'm trying to get my pack-weight down and simplify things--made some progress in other areas of my kit but so far I can't seem to convince myself that a single pot or billy can will keep me happy.

On top of that I just bought a personal java press from MEC; every time I pick it up I think 'this is stupid weight to carry just to make a decent cup of coffee in the morning'. Then I picture myself doing without and shake my head.

Thanks to any and all responders in advance.

4/02/2016 10:04 am  #2

Re: Solo Cooking Setup

I've done a fair bit of solo camping in the back country in the winter but never via canoe.  To me, a good meal and good cup of coffee is worth it's weight in gold and can really lift spirits on damp, cold days.  I look forward to preparing, cooking and eating my meals in the outdoors so I'm one of those guys who brings pans, pots, fresh food, etc.  Sure it's heavy and bulky to lug around but to me it's well worth it.   Having said that I've never actually had any dehydrated meals but I do hear they can be pretty tasty!

4/02/2016 10:43 am  #3

4/02/2016 10:45 am  #4

Coffee is big hobby of mine. I roast my own beans and have a commercial espresso machine in my kitchen.

I like to travel as light as possible but like Steve I won't scrimp on some things just to save weight and coffee is certainly one of them.

I have 4 different set ups but my lightest for solo is

A collapsible cone. I have this one but lots of options out there. Very light.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/161386729098?_mwBanner=1

And my grinder which is part of all 4 set ups.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0002JZCF2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1459611739&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=porlex+coffee+grinder&dpPl=1&dpID=31ieXWpqeVL&ref=plSrch

That and some good freshly roasted beans and you can make one good cup in the backcountry and it isn't too heavy.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/02/2016 11:02 am  #5

maybe ive got an interesting outlook on things for you. I meet up with a travel partner, who comes  from a different area of the province that I do. She prefers a kayak, I prefer a solo canoe. We pack indepently of each other and as our meal requirements are different, we cook independently too, but meet at the access point after making plans all winter and share the campsites. Her needs are 1 large household cooking pot and 1 large pot for coffee in which she makes everything from soup to combination meals out of pre-dried (not necessarily bought) foods. I travel with a light weight set of pots, including frying pan,and prefer a lot more fresh foods and bread, therefore i make pizzas, buns etc in the back country, and dont shy away from bringing things like chopped up peppers,frozen meat (for the first couple of days).cheese and dried sausage. there are lots of instant pudding mixes to be had if you like desert ( i carry milkpowder, I like the puddings, mashed potatoes(and bread dough) much better that way then made with water alone)
Sharon prefers camp coffee, I prefer bringing powdered flavoured coffees which i mix at home with instant coffee to make them stronger.
I am not dependent on meat and dont mind doing without, or, ill bring a bag of jerky. I dont travel particularly light in the food department, but then, we dont normally push ourselves to the limit in a traveling day either, nor do we do a lot of portaging in any given day. 
We prefer to take our  time and enjoy,explore and if the route can be done in 3 days, we often take 5 or 6 so theres never a push or late set up. We enjoy our food and coffee too much to minimalize.
So, a lot will depend on your traveling distances, especially the amount of portaging in a day, which demands a lot of calories and maybe a shortened version of lunches and evening meals and their weight, as well as space, if the days are long. A more leisurely trip will allow you to make changes to your meals.
But above all, dont sell yourself short if you like food, why go on a trip if your food is not enjoyable?
wanda

4/02/2016 11:32 am  #6

2 pots. I cup. The pots have lids that can double as frypans. No coffeepot. One Mug Mate for coffee. One diffuser for pancakes
I like to bake so I take an Outback oven hood.

I am not just boiling water but I don't take fresh food.  Just never have. Its really easy for me to pack food for wherever I am going if I am in the dehydrated mentality. I can go to the desert, the tropics and the North with one set of menu ideas.

4/02/2016 7:24 pm  #7

My 'cooking bag' consists of:

Kettle (MSR Titan)
Twig Stove (Bushbuddy)
Likely the same java press you mention (GSI Personal Java Press)
A titanium spork that folds in half
A collapsible bowl

That's it. After the first night's meal which is cooked on the grill over a campfire, I'm only boiling water for oatmeal and coffee for breakfast, and dehydrated dinners. 

Don't feel bad about the java press: coffee is important. 

4/02/2016 10:43 pm  #8

....An empty tomato can to boil water and tinfoil for your fish.....maybe a spork too....

4/03/2016 7:04 am  #9

Hey thanks everybody. I was pretty sure this topic would draw a lot of differing approaches and you didn't disappoint--from Steve's full-on pot-and-pan set to Kurt's tomato can and seemingly everything in between!

My Self Reliance -- Thanks for that breakdown. I've been to your site a few times but somehow missed that section. I was looking at the Kelly Kettle system on the Canadian Outdoor Equipment site but couldn't understand how it collapsed into a package. Did the stuffsack come with it or did you add your own? How do you fare with the twigstove in wet and rainy conditions?

ShawnD - I want to come for coffee at your campsite! Thanks for the tip on the collapsible cone. I may return the Java press and go for one of these as it looks lighter and simpler. As for grinding, I've always just pre-ground the coffee and brought it along in a nalgene bottle. I guess I lose some flavour but it's always tasted pretty good to me in the early morning chill. Not really anxious to add anything more but I wonder if a grinder is worth it--hmmm.

Wanda (tentsterforever) - Thanks for that perspective. In general I agree with slowing down and taking your time for sure. I just wish I had more vacation to enjoy longer trips so I could go further while still traveling at a nice leisurely pace. On my spring trip this year I've decided to ramp things back up a bit, so I'll be traveling fair distances most days. I'm just anxious to go revisit some of my favourite spots and at this point need to keep the weight down to do it.

kayamedic - Not quite following re. your outback oven setup. Are you taking the full oven or only specific components from the kit? From the description it looks like you can only use these with specific stoves where the fuel canister is separated from the burner. Have you figured out an alternate setup to make it more adaptable? I'm really looking to eliminate liquid fuel stoves from my kit entirely.

Uppa - Are you able to nest your stove in your kettle for transport? I've been looking closely at the Titan as it seems to get rave reviews. I assume you concur with those? And yes, same personal java press from GSI.

Kurt - you are a true minimalist my friend. I'm afraid that's beyond my comfort level for sure.

Thanks again all!

4/03/2016 7:49 am  #10

Hey Trillum yes I am admittedly a little over the top with the grinder..probably not necessary for most. Freshly ground sure does taste good though.

They now make a mini version of the one I have if that interests you. Great reviews.

https://www.amazon.ca/Porlex-Mini-Hand-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0044ZA066/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459686996&sr=8-2&keywords=porlex+hand+grinder

If you decide to pick up a cone you will need paper filters for it the one I have takes number 2s.

This guy looks as fanatical about it as I am and gives great instructions.

http://youtu.be/zrwjxkYZRlE

If weight isn't a huge issue on the trip I will bring the a 3 cup percolator from GSI. Makes 2 decent sized cups.

You can get percolator filters at home hardware. Keeps the grounds out of the pot which is many people's issue with a percolator. Makes the best cup in the backcountry IMO.

Last edited by ShawnD (4/03/2016 9:56 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/03/2016 8:00 am  #11

I bring a 1 litre lightweight aluminum pot (MSR) and swap out the handle and lid with a silicone pot gripper and sheet of aluminum foil respectively. Add in a plastic spork and mug and I'm all set! As for coffee, the Starbucks instant VIA packages do the trick for me (Nescafe instant works for me too). If I'm out for a few days and only boiling water for meals, I use a cat food can stove with methyl hydrate fuel to further cut weight down in the food prep department...

4/03/2016 8:35 am  #12

Trillium: yes, my twig stove nests inside the Titan kettle, although the bushbuddy is slightly taller so the lid won't go on. That doesn't matter to me as they're both inside a bag anyway, but an elastic band does the job too. I'm happy with the titan, but I do wish the handles were removable instead of fixed. There are times when I have to throw a sock on my hand because the handles got a little warmer than is comfortable. I'd say it's great for a fuel stove, good for a twig stove, and not so good to put on a grill over a campfire unless you've got a pot holder. 

4/03/2016 9:03 am  #13

Last trip I took:

*Primus Litech Trek Kettle: 900 ml capacity, tiny frying pan lid, good for one egg and pre cooked bacon cut in half--but not both at the same time!
*Primus French Press that goes on that pot
*2 insulated plastic bowls (GSI) for rehydrating.
*alcohol stove for cooking (Trangia, Brasslite, Atomic, Fancy Feast, Catfood can)
*windscreen

Bonus: If I choose to bring it, the Solo Stove (Bushbuddy stick stove clone) will fit inside the Trek kettle (as well as the GSI Soloist pot, MSR Titan kettle, etc.). So alcohol burner goes in the solo stove, solostove goes in the Trek pot, Trek pot fits into the GSI bowl. Lid for GSI bowl goes under it all, all packed in a tall cylindrical stuff sack.

That set up works for a mainly rehydrating style of cooking. If I were frying more, cooking bannock or fish, I'd bring a proper frying pan over 8.5" (20cm) diameter. Just not my style right now.

This year for solo camping, I'm going to experiment with an MKettle (BackCountry Boiler clone), kind of a mini Kelly Kettle.
For coffee, I might go back to coffee in tea bags. :-(

Last edited by Methye (4/03/2016 9:08 am)

4/03/2016 10:31 am  #14

Trillium, I too use my outback oven setup differently at times then described. It comes with hotplate (diffuser?) that lifts baking pan above stove), a fire resistant hood, and what looks like 2 pie plates on top of each other( baking pans), one with a thermometer in its lid.
Once a fire is burned down to the coals, I add my hotplate ( diffuser?;not sure of the name) to the grill, set my filled pans on it, put hood over top, and keep an eye on the thermometer so it doesn't get too hot too fast, thereby not using my fuel stove at all. Takes practice, but works great.

4/03/2016 12:20 pm  #15

for a quick summer weekend with dehydrated food I can get by with a sierra cup, nylon spoon and my white box stove, but if I'm doing any cooking at all I'll throw in my little Bluet stove, a 1l pot, a second cup and spoon, and my 4cup perc.

4/03/2016 9:07 pm  #16

haha.... if I'm not soloing and there's room, I'll bring plenty more than just a tomato can, but apart from carving a bowl out of some stones near the campsite, you can't get much lighter than that....Also tinfoil fish over some coals is far tastier and a lot less messy than cooking them in a pan, in my opinion....

4/04/2016 9:54 am  #17

I dont bring the two pie plate thingys from the OO. Just the hood and the diffuser. My temp gauge long ago lost the print. I have had OO for more than 20 years

I use an MSR Windpro

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.