You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2016 10:33 am  #1

A (short) trip log posted: ice-out trip 2015

I managed to make opening day last Spring (May 1st) and took advantage of the emptiness to stay on lakes I'm usually paddling through enroute to elsewhere: Joe and Burnt Island. It's a short read with a few photos, and a video of me diving into Burnt Island Lake - twice. It was such a beautiful day I'm sure the water looks like it was also beautiful, but the ice had only cleared a few days prior. It was painfully cold. But I can't pass up a good diving rock in Algonquin!

http://www.kayakcamper.com/canoe---joe---burnt-island.html

3/21/2016 2:05 pm  #2

Re: A (short) trip log posted: ice-out trip 2015

Again you are nuts! Not because of the Yakker thing this time 

I've often thought of taking the plunge in the spring. Never was able to pull the trigger. I see it really puts things in perspective! Can you roll your kayak fully loaded? Could you do it in these sort of frigid conditions? I purchased a dry suit this year for moving water and ice out trips. Level 6 had some crazy good deals for a while, so I got one for 45% off. Might be worth a look but they are pretty much sold out of everything but smalls.

3/21/2016 6:12 pm  #3

Another great post.I really enjoy these logs you've been posting. I think I'm going to start keeping a journal each night on future canoe trips. 

Thanks for sharing.

3/22/2016 10:12 am  #4

@Martin: Jump jump jump jump! No, I can't roll my kayak. I keep meaning to take lessons but just never quite get around to it. I have what I think is a pretty good paddle stroke simply due to many years' worth of paddling, and I spend time every year practicing self-rescues, but practicing rolls is tiring, dumping out / pumping out after every attempt. I've looked at dry suits a time or three as it would extend my paddling season even in Toronto (my kayak lives on the harbourfront), but so far haven't been able to justify the expense. 

@RCShevalier: Thanks. I filmed none of these videos with the thought of ever sharing them - they were filmed by me, for me. I've found they really help keep the memories of each trip alive though. Every once in a while in the winter, I'll sit down in front of my computer and re-live a camping trip through them. 

3/23/2016 12:32 am  #5

Keep it up! I love reading these.. and they are getting me even more excited for ice-out!

3/23/2016 6:15 am  #6

Another beauty--again well done. And it certainly fires the enthusiasm to get out on the lakes at the earliest opportunity this year!

Just wondering what your camera set-up is and how happy you are with it overall re. quality, ease of use, portability, weight, etc. Just from reading these two reports, it sounds like maybe you've had some issues/frustrations(?) but it certainly looks like the quality is there to me. I'm possibly in the market for one before the start of paddling season--trying to figure out the best setup. This is really a gear question so I'll go have a look on the equipment section of the forum and see what I find over there, but regardless your comments are appreciated.

3/23/2016 7:42 am  #7

@token: Thanks!

@Trillium: I'm no photographer so I'm sure there are much better gear recommendations than mine. What I take fluctuates trip to trip. I have a GoPro with a suction cup mount that comes on some trips, which means a pelican case with a dozen (literally) extra batteries. The GoPro gets some fun on the water videos I couldn't take otherwise. 

The camera I take on most trips is a Canon 60D. It has great video and image quality, but here's the thing: I'm now down to only ever taking one lens - a good quality wide-angle lens mind you, but only one lens. And it probably makes little sense to take an SLR if you're not going to take advantage of the fact that you can use multiple lenses. I bought my wife a really, really nice point and shoot for Christmas last year (Sony DSC RX-100M3, if you're wondering) that she's barely using, so I'm thinking maybe I'm going to give it a try instead for this season . It weighs a fraction as much. I take a little Gorillapod tripod for filming videos and long exposure shots. They live in a rugged dry bag (which is still pushing it, but no way I'm taking a massive SLR camera case) that is often in the cockpit with me when I'm paddling rivers or other areas there might be nice shots to take. 

3/24/2016 6:17 am  #8

Thanks for that Uppa--that helps for sure. I'm really not a DSLR user--borrowed one last year for my solo spring trip and basically used it on auto mode the whole time, obviously a complete waste. So your assessment re. need for multiple lenses etc. confirms my thoughts that I'd best stay away from all that,given my desire for lightweight, portability, quick access, etc. I was looking over the thread on the photography section of the forum re. waterproof cameras. I may check those out. Also thinking about the GoPro option for action video, and right now I'm wondering whether 3 cameras is too many to carry -- i.e., add in a good quality point and shoot for around camp or other, more protected scenarios? I suppose another option would be to find a way to keep my iphone powered up and take it along. I'm certainly happy with the photo quality on it, just not sure about mounting possibilities. Anyway, it seems I'm moving this thread way off-topic and away from the general subject matter of this section of the forum, so enough already. Thanks again.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.