You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2015 11:12 am  #1

Backcountry S'mores

Hi All

I've never done s'mores on a canoe trip and was curious if you have? How do you bring the chocolate without risk of melting?

Also, just a suggestion. Should there be a dedicated "Food" thread where people can share there recipes and meals?

Thanks,

Last edited by Hass (8/18/2015 12:09 pm)

8/18/2015 11:42 am  #2

Re: Backcountry S'mores

I just bring Presidents Choice Concerto cookies. Milk chocolate top with a biscuit bottom somewhat similar to a graham cracker. Never had them melt on me. Not even in the middle of summer. Very good cookie just by themselves too 

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/18/2015 12:05 pm  #3

I typically forego s'mores in the backcountry and just eat marshmellows and M&Ms in one mouthful to achieve a similar effect and look like a complete fool.

I also support having a specific food thread! I would love that!

8/18/2015 12:13 pm  #4

If you pack chocolate away out of the sun and you're not camping in a heat wave, good chance it'll stay solid. Won't avoid the "risk" of it melting but it should be alright.

Personally I don't do s'mores in the backcountry just because marshmallows are bulky and don't like getting jammed in an overstuffed pack, but I do sometimes bring chocolate as a treat and I haven't had problems.

Are we talking about a food *thread* or a food *subforum*? Personally I think the new forum layout has at least enough subforums already, it's not like this thread is getting buried. Meal planning is part of trip planning, no?

8/18/2015 12:54 pm  #5

We make S'mores pretty regularly, especially if we have new folks along. Never really worry about whether the chocolate melts ahead of time. 

8/18/2015 1:30 pm  #6

Thanks all, will try the chocolate top cracker idea first. Only going for one night this weekend so plenty of room for marshmellows this trip!

8/19/2015 1:52 am  #7

Thow a couple of plain Jersey Shore choclate bars (Bev says these are the best) in the middle of the food somewhere and you are good for a couple of weeks. The worst that happens is they get a little soft and melt a little easier.

8/19/2015 6:27 am  #8

haha Jersey Shore or Jersey Milk?

8/19/2015 4:39 pm  #9

Can't go wrong with the Concerto cookies.  A lot easier and cleaner to eat as well. 

Last edited by canoefanatic (8/19/2015 4:39 pm)

8/24/2015 9:33 am  #10

So just to update...

I took in milk chocolate bars that I left in the refrigerator for about 9 hours overnight and packed them with the frozen chicken that we took. The chocolate did not melt and the s'mores were perfect! 

Last edited by Hass (8/24/2015 9:34 am)

8/24/2015 10:09 am  #11

marshmellows roasted as per usual,,, pull the marshmellow off the stick and pour a little baily`s into the little hollow of the marsh mellow,  nice treat. years old fav of mine. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.