You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2016 8:47 pm  #1

Pen Lake suggestions?

Hi all - I booked a destination trip to Pen Lake (via Rock lake access point).  I am going with my two boys (age 8 and 5) and a friend with his daughter (age 6).  It will be my first time "soloing" with the boys, so nothing too extreme, although my 8 year old has some capabilities now.  Anyway, I haven't been to Pen in more than 12 years - spend most of my time in the northern and eastern part of the park.  Any suggestions on campsites for the lake?  A good swimming spot is really important.  Decent fire pit too.
Thanks for any input.

3/09/2016 10:23 am  #2

Re: Pen Lake suggestions?

When are you going? That will help with site recommendations. 

3/09/2016 8:36 pm  #3

The first site down on the West side of the lake should be a doable paddle (site 4 on the campsite inventory).  It's not an island but there is a narrow sandy spit on the attacking it to the mainland.  the spit has made a long sandy beach on that side which would be easy swimming for the kids without worrying about them on wet rocks.

3/10/2016 12:51 pm  #4

Site number 6 would also be perfect. It has a sandy beach that's probably a couple hundred metres long.. If I remember correctly the water drops off rather fast though and is a couple feet deep only a few feet out. Might be better mid summer though.

Last edited by token (3/10/2016 12:52 pm)

3/10/2016 1:58 pm  #5

I think #7 also has a beach.  My file notes indicate one side has a gradual slope to the water while directly in front is a good drop-off.

Dave

3/10/2016 3:51 pm  #6

If I remember correctly site 8 has a beach area, but I was there for a fall trip so I can't say much about how fast it drops off.

3/10/2016 4:07 pm  #7

All - Many thanks for your input.  This information most helpful!  We'll be going the last full week of July and hopefully the weather cooperates.  It would be great to have rain the week before, to drop the fire index then sun the week we have our trip.

3/10/2016 5:19 pm  #8

#8 site on penn,, nice beach drops off quick, camp site behind ridge of pines, plenty of room

3/10/2016 9:21 pm  #9

Check out The area around the falls between penn and clydegale. The kids had fun swimming in the deep hole between Rapids. Surprisingly deep. Over my head but only a few feet wide. We had 1 young one who stayed in a water wings. There is also a deep hole below the the falls on the way from pen towards welcome. Harder to get into, but the kids liked swimming at the base of the waterfall. You should have something on the feet due to abrasive/sharp rocks. As far as sites go. The site on the island at the north end is ok. The two sites on the land spit to the west of that are also good. I have had great sites every where on penn each has advantages and disadvantages.

3/16/2016 12:15 pm  #10

As said before #6 & #8 are the prominent beach sites but have always been occupied when I have passed by.
The islands site #3,4,5 appear nice but again have always had at least one party around when I passed by so we have never stayed.
#10-#13 are steep rock ledges and while some are nice site not ideal for smaller children (at least mine lol).
We stayed on Site #15 with our two boys aged 3 & 5 last August for two nights on a Loiusa, Welcome, Pen loop and really enjoyed it.  It was a large site sheltered by tall pines with lots of flat open areas mixed with rolling hills for the kids to play.  It also had a nice exposure towards the mouth of the Crow River for sunsets.  Good log benches and couple of kitchen countertop additions (depending if that adds or detracts from the site for you).  There was a small point which you could swim off in the front of the site but was pebbly / rocky and definitely not a prime beach with some lily pads etc in the shallows around the sides. 

As I believe was mentioned above by another poster our kids also really loved exploring the rocks and river channel along the river between Pen and Clydegale which becomes quite low in the summer.  All in all was a great trip.

Have fun and enjoy!

Jon

3/16/2016 6:29 pm  #11

I had site 14 once it is also good. A short trip to clydegale. A short trip to explore the creek up towards welcome. That was fun. It's really shallow but flowing well. We were heading towards pen with I think three canoes in a row when we came upon a mom and baby beaver swimming up stream. Swam right by us. I pulled the lead boat over and turned to get a photo as the Beavers wanted nothing to do with us. They jumped up on the edge maybe 20 feet from us and started walking across the sand. love pen for trips with little ones.

3/16/2016 6:39 pm  #12

Almost forgot. Get in early if you are going on a week end. Unfortunately the reason I found out 14 was good is it was the only one left when I got there in spite of having 2 sites reserved. That has happened every time I go to pen.

3/16/2016 7:49 pm  #13

All - again, many thanks for the updates and tidbits.  Seems like we have chosen a good lake for a trip with kids.  We'll definitely check out the stream/waterfall to Clydgale.  We are going in on a Monday so hopefully a weekday entry makes for site availability.
Now to the gear forum for new 4 person tent advice….

3/16/2016 8:59 pm  #14

Another point of interest:

Along the Rock-Pen portage there is a cold water spring. My notes from my trip say it is on the left but in my minds eye it was on the right. Look for a black pipe. Tasty!

Dave

3/16/2016 9:23 pm  #15

Almost forgot the spring water. It's on the right on the way from rock to pen.

3/20/2016 9:09 pm  #16

Love this lake. I will be going straight across on my trip in May. 

4/10/2016 9:26 am  #17

I really enjoyed site 12.  I nice open site with a sloping rock waterfront.  Clear view of most of the lake.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.