You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2016 2:56 pm  #1

Are predictions for ice-out starting yet?

I'm actually hoping warming slows down a bit.  I don't want my spring fishing trip interrupted by early hatching blackflies!

3/07/2016 5:40 pm  #2

Re: Are predictions for ice-out starting yet?

March 20th using the Canoe Lake standard. March 25th using the Opeongo standard.

3/07/2016 8:38 pm  #3

That's the earliest prediction yet!   Maybe...

3/07/2016 8:50 pm  #4

Bo used to say that 5 days with lows above freezing was enough for the ice to go out. I'm not sure that's quite enough in a normal year but I don't think it's too thick anywhere this year do I won't be surprised if it is out by the end of March break.

3/08/2016 6:28 am  #5

RobW wrote:

Bo used to say that 5 days with lows above freezing was enough for the ice to go out. I'm not sure that's quite enough in a normal year but I don't think it's too thick anywhere this year do I won't be surprised if it is out by the end of March break.

Fingers crossed.  I think I'll dust off the boats today just in case.

3/08/2016 7:40 am  #6

Holy crap.. that early? I guess that makes sense because last year we didn't see weather like this until the end of April almost. I need to start getting my gear ready, haven't even touched any of my gear or canoe since my last trip on Boxing day

3/08/2016 9:36 am  #7

April 20th is my guess.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

3/08/2016 11:09 am  #8

I'm also interested in predicting the black flies. Hopefully they hold off to mid-May still.

3/08/2016 1:38 pm  #9

token wrote:

Holy crap.. that early? I guess that makes sense because last year we didn't see weather like this until the end of April almost. I need to start getting my gear ready, haven't even touched any of my gear or canoe since my last trip on Boxing day

That's about as indicative of a record breaking ice-out as anything I've heard yet - canoeing on Boxing Day!

3/10/2016 6:13 am  #10

I think RobW may be be dead on.

3/10/2016 10:29 am  #11

My Self Reliance wrote:

I think RobW may be be dead on.

That would be a first. ;-)  And technically it's not a valid prediction since I had earlier predicted March 15th in another discussion. 

3/10/2016 8:05 pm  #12

I really hope you guys are right! I still have a week of holidays that I have yet to book.. Maybe I'll take an additional week in April. ;-)

3/10/2016 8:29 pm  #13

token wrote:

I really hope you guys are right! I still have a week of holidays that I have yet to book.. Maybe I'll take an additional week in April. ;-)

The weather is certainly making me rethink my plans.  I thought I would backpack the Highlands in March, but now I think I'll build brownie points and canoe trip in April instead of May

3/11/2016 1:35 pm  #14

I remember the last time the ice went out as early as the likely ice out this year and the bugs weren't an issue on opening week. I remember I was on my way to my parents cottage on the French River and I stopped in Parry Sound for a Coffie and got swarmed. That was two days prior to entering the park in late April but inside the park it was fine. Perhaps the higher elevation helps. I say April 1 ice out.

3/12/2016 7:17 am  #15

It seems like they changed the forecast and now it's supposed to be a bit colder than previously predicted. I kind of have my doubts about the Park being ice free in March. My guess is early April.

3/12/2016 10:48 am  #16

Opeopngo ice-out: April 18, and hopefully the blackflies won't notice until May 18th. 

Barbara

Last edited by Barbara (3/12/2016 10:48 am)

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

3/12/2016 12:58 pm  #17

I'm sticking with April 1st.  The lakes sure looked punky yesterday and the forecast is still saying above normal temps.  March is still a strong possibility, especially if we get rain on Monday.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.