You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/08/2024 4:48 pm  #1

Opeongo Water taxi

Good day all!

Been a while since I’ve used the taxi but want to do a nice easy trip to the east arm with my daughters and 2 dogs. Last time I used the taxi service, dogs were fine on the the taxi, is that still the case? And do they count as a person when I’m booking? Haha

Appreciate any insight!

Cheers!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

4/08/2024 9:40 pm  #2

Re: Opeongo Water taxi

It's not per person but per trip. Each trip is $158. If you are the only one then unfortunately you are stuck with the whole bill unless you can hop on with another group. It is not extra for dogs to my knowledge.

4/08/2024 11:59 pm  #3

OTCanadienne wrote:

It's not per person but per trip. Each trip is $158. If you are the only one then unfortunately you are stuck with the whole bill unless you can hop on with another group. It is not extra for dogs to my knowledge.

First, there are two companies who give this taxi service on Opeongo Lake.  One is Algonquin Outfitters who operate the store on Opeongo, and the other is Opeongo Outfitters who operate from their store in Whitney which is not far from Opeongo Lake.

Second, the most I have ever paid on one of these taxis is $53 which included two other groups.  But this was about 10 years ago.  With the cost of gas these days , the taxi service fee has to cover the cost of the gas used by the two 100hp motors on these taxi boats.  Personally, I think $158 is outrageous for a 1-way trip to the eastern arm of Opeongo and which I would never pay  being a solo fisherman with canoe and gear.  But for a party of 2 and 1 canoe and gear so cost per person is $79.  And this $79 will save you around 3 - 4 hours paddling time when Opeongo is in a nice mood instead of an ugly mood.  And yes, dogs are at no charge.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

4/09/2024 4:35 am  #4

Thanks @OTCanadienne and @boknows for the responses.

I agree it’s expensive! I’ve paddle OP many times but won’t with my 6 year old daughters haha

There are 3 dads, 4 daughters and 3 dogs. It’s an annual Daddy-Daughter trip I do with a couple of my longest running portage friends. My girls are the youngest and while the last 2-3 years we’ve done a paddle in with usually 1-3 portages, I think us dads are looking for an easy trip in and then explore from there!

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go Canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

4/09/2024 7:34 am  #5

It would be best to contact them directly to find out current rates.

Opeongo Outfitters
https://www.opeongooutfitters.com/taxi.html

Algonquin Outfitters
https://algonquinoutfitters.com/rental/opeongo-water-taxi/

Barbara

Take everything as it comes; the wave passes, deal with the next one.

Tom Thomson, 1877-1917

4/09/2024 12:49 pm  #6

I used Algonquin Outfitters 5yrs ago, last minute decision due to windy weather.  With my sister & kids & dogs, there was not enough muscle to deal with strong winds, knew that right away on the dock at Opeongo.  Since then my sister has rented a couple of times after that, forever spoiled after the water taxi experience....  All the times AO did not charge extra for the dogs (2).

However, after my first booking I have done something different that maybe you may want to consider.  I bought a 10ft inflatable (zodiac style) & 5hp outboard motor & I tow a kayak out behind for quiet paddling time (or could do canoe as well). At $200+ minimum for round trip water taxi, I figured my breakeven would happen in about 7 trips (considering if I could sell boat/motor for 50% of purchase price), after 7 trips I'm ahead.  Inflatable boat solved problem of where I'm going to store a boat & once you have it you end up using it more often as well.  Have used it several times on Opeongo, Kiosk & Lake Travers. After 4 yrs, I'm definitely ahead on owning vs renting costs. Owning your boat also gives you more options to lakes that don't have water taxi. And if you don't have a lot of muscle (young kids, older parents/family members, dogs...) You also have the use of the boat daily for the duration of your trip, not just pickup & dropoff.   You also are on your own schedule, much more flexibility, don't need to book water taxi time & make sure that you are ready at both pickup & drop off times.

4/09/2024 7:50 pm  #7

SeekingSolitude wrote:

I used Algonquin Outfitters 5yrs ago, last minute decision due to windy weather.  With my sister & kids & dogs, there was not enough muscle to deal with strong winds, knew that right away on the dock at Opeongo.  Since then my sister has rented a couple of times after that, forever spoiled after the water taxi experience....  All the times AO did not charge extra for the dogs (2).

However, after my first booking I have done something different that maybe you may want to consider.  I bought a 10ft inflatable (zodiac style) & 5hp outboard motor & I tow a kayak out behind for quiet paddling time (or could do canoe as well). At $200+ minimum for round trip water taxi, I figured my breakeven would happen in about 7 trips (considering if I could sell boat/motor for 50% of purchase price), after 7 trips I'm ahead.  Inflatable boat solved problem of where I'm going to store a boat & once you have it you end up using it more often as well.  Have used it several times on Opeongo, Kiosk & Lake Travers. After 4 yrs, I'm definitely ahead on owning vs renting costs. Owning your boat also gives you more options to lakes that don't have water taxi. And if you don't have a lot of muscle (young kids, older parents/family members, dogs...) You also have the use of the boat daily for the duration of your trip, not just pickup & dropoff.   You also are on your own schedule, much more flexibility, don't need to book water taxi time & make sure that you are ready at both pickup & drop off times.

Thanks Barbara!

And this is a great idea!!

4/09/2024 10:55 pm  #8

A few other thoughts...
The place I bought the inflatable boat from actually recommended a10hp motor, but I thought the weight of a 10hp motor was a bit more than I wanted to deal with. The 5hp can get the boat up on plane with 1 or 2 people + light gear.  More people/gear or towing a kayak/canoe and it does not plane, but of course still faster than paddling speed.

As mentioned I have already used the motor boat on Opeongo (kinda busy to launch from for my liking...), Kiosk & Lake Travers.  I was also thinking of doing a trip from Cedar/Brent, but it would actually take me less time to drive to Temagami.  So I'm thinking going up to Temagami would make more sense, not to mention with free crown land camping, that would also add to the per trip savings.

Coureur des Biere wrote:

SeekingSolitude wrote:

Thanks Barbara!

And this is a great idea!!

4/10/2024 4:59 am  #9

Don't need a boat.  I built my own or you can buy this apparatus that allows you to put a 5hp motor on the side of your canoe.  Once across Opeongo or any big lake, I just stash the motor and apparatus in the woods until my return.

4/10/2024 5:03 am  #10

boknows wrote:

Don't need a boat.  I built my own or you can buy this apparatus that allows you to put a 5hp motor on the side of your canoe.  Once across Opeongo or any big lake, I just stash the motor and apparatus in the woods until my return.

I’d be very curious about this apparatus sir. Can you share the details of where I can find it?

Cheers!

4/10/2024 7:13 am  #11

Just google canoe motor mount....many options. Also a DIY video to make your own which I did.  I have never used my motor mount on Opeongo, but have used it with my Evinrude 4hp on Cedar, Kioshkokwi and North Tea taking canoe and motor over the 2 small portages on the Amiable du Fond river.  Stashed them in the forest with chain and lock for security just before portages to Biggar where we canoed up Biggar creek (not recommended.due to alders and low water and other obstructions).  Then, we bushwhacked with canoe and gear over to Osler Lake for some good trout fishing. Picked up motor etc on way back out and motored back out to where we started on Kawawaymog Lake.

Last edited by boknows (4/10/2024 8:47 am)

4/10/2024 9:16 pm  #12

boknows wrote:

OTCanadienne wrote:

First, there are two companies who give this taxi service on Opeongo Lake.  One is Algonquin Outfitters who operate the store on Opeongo, and the other is Opeongo Outfitters who operate from their store in Whitney which is not far from Opeongo Lake.

Second, the most I have ever paid on one of these taxis is $53 which included two other groups.  But this was about 10 years ago.  With the cost of gas these days , the taxi service fee has to cover the cost of the gas used by the two 100hp motors on these taxi boats.  Personally, I think $158 is outrageous for a 1-way trip to the eastern arm of Opeongo and which I would never pay  being a solo fisherman with canoe and gear.  But for a party of 2 and 1 canoe and gear so cost per person is $79.  And this $79 will save you around 3 - 4 hours paddling time when Opeongo is in a nice mood instead of an ugly mood.  And yes, dogs are at no charge.

Agreed it is too expensive and I should have clarified that this price is through Algonquin Outfitters and is current as it is booked for this May. Split between 4 people it's not too bad and worth it to me to bot have to paddle Opeongo. I do believe Opeongo Outfitters is cheaper but I was renting my canoe through AO so went with them out of convenience.

4/11/2024 12:34 am  #13

Interesting solution. Watched a few YouTube videos, one guy used 2.5hp & that seemed good enough for canoe with 2 people & gear. Another guy posted a video warning about overpowering his canoe (not sure the hp...) as it was unstable & flipped. But definitely this is the cheaper option to deal with not enough muscle power in your group, larger lakes, & headwind if you don't want to pay each time for water taxi and/or want more flexibility... Schedule & ability to go to other lakes.

boknows wrote:

Just google canoe motor mount....many options. Also a DIY video to make your own which I did.  I have never used my motor mount on Opeongo, but have used it with my Evinrude 4hp on Cedar, Kioshkokwi and North Tea taking canoe and motor over the 2 small portages on the Amiable du Fond river.  Stashed them in the forest with chain and lock for security just before portages to Biggar where we canoed up Biggar creek (not recommended.due to alders and low water and other obstructions).  Then, we bushwhacked with canoe and gear over to Osler Lake for some good trout fishing. Picked up motor etc on way back out and motored back out to where we started on Kawawaymog Lake.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.