You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2024 10:52 am  #1

Tim Lake and Summer Haulage Noise

I've never visited the Tim Lake area and am thinking of getting up there this summer.

The AFA Work Schedule Map for 2024 isn't out yet, so I don't have updated info on scheduled operations.

AFA policy is that tree cutting and truck hauling are allowed Monday through Friday over the summer. So, even if cutting noise is a good distance away, the truck haulage noise affects a larger area.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any "weekday" noise experience with the haulage road that runs east-west a distance north of Tim Lake?

I've "red-dotted" over the mapped haulage road. It looks to be at least a kilometer north of Tim Lake's north shore.

Thanks.

2/19/2024 10:56 am  #2

Re: Tim Lake and Summer Haulage Noise

I did a Wednesday - Saturday trip to Chibiabos in September 2022 and unfortunately I did not consult the AFA map. The consequence of that was the pleasure of hearing roading building (initial forest clearing stages) at 7am on the dot and throughout most of the day.

The real downside was, I had an algonquin first-timer with me, and the sounds of diesel engines and ripping through forests all morning and afternoon put quite a damper on the experience.

I will say, the machinery is pretty impressive. I took my dog for a walk on the logging road, just to be nosey. This is how I discovered they were doing road building. Bulldozers that look like tanks, with a sharp blade welded to the bottom of the bucket - they just drive straight and the machine does the rest.

Last edited by Peek (2/19/2024 10:58 am)

2/21/2024 11:47 am  #3

I was in there for a couple of days mid-week late last season and did not hear any logging activities at that time. 

However as an access lake with no portages there were the sounds of yung'uns making the noise that freshly liberated young adults tend to make when in a provincial park. In fairness, it wasn't out of control but since most of the sites on the lake face each other on east side of the island and eastern shore it did remind us that we really weren't that far in the backcountry.

The sites we saw were decent but are heavily used and being late in the season, were denuded of firewood (not to mention scarring from green wood harvesting) and would require scouring around the shores away from camp if a campfire was desired.

Aside from potential fellow camper noise (and of course the logging issue about which you mention) it can be a very low effort destination for a taste of solitude and the fall colours were awesome. With a little more travel eastward (one short portage and some liftovers, water levels were fine late season for us) Rosebary might be a little more "remote", especially mid week.

2/25/2024 10:18 am  #4

I've emailed the AFA a few times with questions like this about logging in an area that I was planning on visiting.  Each time I received a very detailed a prompt response and they were very happy to share info with me.  Might be worth shooting them a quick email to see if they can offer any insight?

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.