You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/06/2024 2:08 pm  #1

Abandoned Railway?

Would anyone know the state of the abandoned  rail line from Kiosk to Brent? I've  seen a couple videos of Bikepackers riding it but I believe  that was only the Brent to Achray section. TIA.

2/06/2024 2:55 pm  #2

Re: Abandoned Railway?

It's not obstructed, but it is private property of CN Rail.

On the previous version of my map I implied that its ownership status was in limbo, but CN's Real Estate Manager called me at one point and asked that I clarify that CN has full responsibility for and ownership of the old line.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

2/06/2024 3:35 pm  #3

Interesting - now that they are admitting they have full ownership and control or the railbed - I wonder if they'll cough up the dough to decontaminate the railbed.. but I doubt it.

2/07/2024 3:16 pm  #4

They should give it to the park system so it can be used for ski touring and  bike packing.

2/07/2024 3:56 pm  #5

Thanks Jeff. Good to know. If they were to mitigate the contamination I wonder how much further  damage that would do. Stripping the gravel and who knows how much topsoil would have to go as well.
I agree with Martin. Open it up as additional  back country access. Be great to ski and bike. I really think the park is missing out on not catering more to the bike packing market. I wonder if environmental assessment would be required if CN were to just sign it over/donate it to the park. That may be a hang up.

2/07/2024 10:51 pm  #6

Gents, good to see the forum going.

I did a winter trip in Kiosk last year - travelled the rail. Looks like it's being used by snowmobiles in winter infrequently. It's great for winter, as it's flat. There are reasonable sites for setting up camp along the route as well.

But yes, it would be good to be able to legally use it.

Understanding about the CN ownership is that it was more of a F-U move because the government didn't wanna pay up

Cheers!
Marko

2/08/2024 10:10 pm  #7

Even though CN Rail owns the line if it's the direct route to where you want to fish, you can use it without penalty.

2/10/2024 1:25 pm  #8

CN did offer to give it to the park right after the rails were pulled. Park did not want to be responsible for any cleanup so they declined. It is possible to go from kiosk to Achray by bike but this would be a violation of the park rules (and trespassing on CN property) so definitely don’t try it.

suluk46 is definitely against it.

2/10/2024 4:12 pm  #9

The port from St. Andrews to Rouge is actually on the old rail bed, so I'm a bit confused by the "CN property" claim.

2/10/2024 4:39 pm  #10

Let’s all toss in five bucks and see if CN will let us take it off their hands

2/10/2024 8:02 pm  #11

scratchypants wrote:

The port from St. Andrews to Rouge is actually on the old rail bed, so I'm a bit confused by the "CN property" claim.

I addressed this above. I should also clarify that the direct route using railway property is only permitted if there is no other route. Ex: in many cases in the interior of the Park the only route is the decommissioned CN rail line. Therefore you can use it without penalty.  This applies to any rail line in Ontario, perhaps Canada, but my personal experience is Ontario. 

2/11/2024 8:00 pm  #12

The forest from St Andrews to Rouge is so open that you could jog through it without ever stepping foot on the rail bed.

2/12/2024 11:05 am  #13

scratchypants wrote:

The forest from St Andrews to Rouge is so open that you could jog through it without ever stepping foot on the rail bed.

Except that they are on opposite side of the rail bed.

2/14/2024 12:02 pm  #14

In 1992, my partner and I wrecked our (Jake's) canoe upriver of the railway bridge over the Pet on day two of an eleven day loop. A memorable near death experience. We bushwhacked our way, with our gear,  to the south shore below the bridge, humped up the bank to the tracks and walked back to Brent to buy Jake's canoe. The trains were still running then. It was a nice walk. The rail bed was littered with lots of bones (moose/deer/bear) and food containers, likely from rail workers. All that to say the corridor looked to be in pretty good condition back then. It would be an awesome public trail but I'm sure much easier to bike or walk on now if the railway ties have all been lifted. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.