You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/29/2016 12:29 pm  #1

2014 & 2015 Trip Logs Done

Well after procrastinating last winter this year I finally got around to transcribing my trip logs from the past two years.  If you're interested they are here at http://www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca

Cheers.

www.algonquinvoyageur.blogspot.ca
'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

3/01/2016 7:04 am  #2

Re: 2014 & 2015 Trip Logs Done

Thank you! There hasn't been nearly enough logs this winter to help me get through it, as a result I think I might be going a little crazy! Looking forward to reading them this morning!

3/01/2016 8:08 pm  #3

Great reports!!!

I had a very unproductive afternoon because of them. I'm always amazed at how much ground you cover. You and your dad sail through portages that take the wind out of me. I need to get in better shape.

Seems like you have a lot of desserts on your trips. That is something I never have. Crème Brule, Peaches and cream, Cheesecake. Could you elaborate on how you make these or keep them fresh? Another question, what's with the rope wrapped around your end thwarts? Is that just the way you like to store your painters? Or, is that your 50 foot buoyant line? It seems like it would be awkward to unravel if you had to use the rope.

I’m looking forward to http://www.algonquinvoyageur.com/ . When will that launch?

Thanks again for putting all these great reports together.
MartinG

PS Last time I heard the Anchor was at the Ranger cabin on Whitefish, as they caught someone trying to steal it.

3/02/2016 9:49 am  #4

Hi Martin.  Glad you enjoyed the posts.  The desserts we use aren't fresh.  They are either Backpacker's Pantry or Alpine Air.  The creme brule from BP is awsome.
The rope on the front is just a painter and not boyant.  Our boyant line is the the North Water 4-bailer which has line, whistle and bailer all in one and clips nicely to a thwart or carrying handle.  You can get them at MEC.

After that trip through Burntroot I asked my boss at work what happened to it and he did confirm that some Americans tried to steal the anchor and were caught on White Trout by Wardens.  Unfortunately they weren't charged and the anchor still rests at the White Trout ranger cabin.  I'm curious how they would have gotten that across the border if they had succeeded.

'...a man is part of his canoe and therefore part of all it knows. The instant he dips a paddle he flows as it flows.’ Sigurd Olson

3/03/2016 6:03 am  #5

I was interested to read your account of Maple Creek above the Skuce Lake portage. My May trip will include this same section from Upper Kawa in the opposite direction. So as I was reading I kept thinking, 'well yeah but they were doing this in August. That's crazy! It's got to be better in Spring'. Then I read your parting thoughts on reaching One Mile: "I don’t know if I’d even want to do that section of creek right after ice out when the water levels are high". . . . Hmmm . . . I guess I'll let ya' know.

Seriously though, thank you for this account, Tripper. It's great to get this kind of info on a rare-use section of the Park. By the way, did you happen to send Jeff the updates about portage location and conditions?

Also, I agree with Martin. The distances you and your dad cover are amazing! I would never expect to get the full way from Birchcliffe Lake through to One Mile or from there to Manitou in a day, yet you two seem to pull it off with ease!

I look forward to reading the rest of these logs.

3/03/2016 8:46 am  #6

Thanks Trillium.  I would suspect if you did the creek right after ice out you won't encounter water levels like we did in mid-August.  I know from doing the Aylen River out of Roundbush just how spring water levels can drop over the course of 3-4 weeks.

I did send Jeff the update on the portage location.  If you are traveling in the opposite direction as I did you won't have any trouble finding the portage as it's sign quite well and the water levels were high in that section thanks to beaver activity.
I think we are only able to cover those distances because we single carry our portages.  For years we use to double carry but we've stream lined and now can do just one.  It saves a great deal of time.  I also do the same on my solo trips.

Thanks again.
Cheers.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.