You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2023 3:37 pm  #1

Gibson Lake

Hello everyone and Season's greetings,

I will likely be visiting Gibson Lake in May. Just wondering if anyone has any experience fishing there?

I know it's fairly remote, and it apparently holds Brookies, no lakers, but was wondering what if any experiences anyone has had there?

Thanks

Jon

Last edited by Little Fish (12/23/2023 6:13 pm)

12/23/2023 5:40 pm  #2

Re: Gibson Lake

welcome little fish
   i have not fished gibson lake ,, looks to be 30 feet deep right down the middle , with 2 holes 40 feet deep,
  one 40 foot section is in the west end, small basin,, the second basin is kinda on the south east just after a small bay,,  probably was once a good speck lake,, now i guessing that it has many bass ,,
   kill a bass save a trout

12/23/2023 6:10 pm  #3

swedish pimple wrote:

welcome little fish
   i have not fished gibson lake ,, looks to be 30 feet deep right down the middle , with 2 holes 40 feet deep,
  one 40 foot section is in the west end, small basin,, the second basin is kinda on the south east just after a small bay,,  probably was once a good speck lake,, now i guessing that it has many bass ,,
   kill a bass save a trout

Thank you for the welcome!

Why do you say that? What makes you think bass have moved in?

12/24/2023 11:44 am  #4

I ask because I know from reading dozens of Algonquin park forum posts over the years that the default is always to say "there is no fish" or "there was fish, but not anymore".

Caught alot of fish last year in a lake people said the same thing about. Let 95% of them go as always.

Just was hoping someone had been and fished it. Not looking for secret spots or anything.

12/25/2023 7:48 am  #5

For years on this site there has been concern about overfishing and invasive species, and there were in fact strict rules about posting "hot spots" or good lakes under a specific size. Over time it's become a type of etiquette to use the default "there's no fish here" to protect the fishery.
Many lakes, starting in the 1920's, were actually stocked (sometimes illegally) with bass or pike to provide an easy sport fishery for tourists, those invasives continue to spread throughout the watersheds to this day, displacing native populations.
It's not personal, most posters here just tend to keep those two facts in mind when posting and use an abundance of caution when discussing catches in the hopes of preserving the fishing for their kids or grandkids, I know I do...

12/25/2023 8:25 am  #6

Understood.

I'm a strong advocate for protecting our fisheries, particularly Algonquin 's , as it's ancient and unique. I really do understand and appreciate that unwritten rule.

If anyone has been and is willing to some shed light,please PM me.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.