You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2023 10:00 pm  #1

White Partridge Creek

Anyone have any insight on what White Partridge Creek might be like in early spring? Is it Maple Creek-ish or better to navigate? Would a day from White Partridge to Mallic be pushing it?

12/15/2023 11:42 am  #2

Re: White Partridge Creek

I am also curious, but looking more for summer (first week of august) water level experience / Alder. It can't be as bad as Birchcliffe and the Nip east of Big Bob... can it?

12/15/2023 8:52 pm  #3

I went from WP to the Crow at the start of august a few years back and yes, it's worse.  First couple hundred meters had low water level so I  had to wade through alders.  Most  of the rest of it is similar to the other mentioned areas except it lasts most of the 14 k.

On the plus side, the 2.3K portage is along old roadways pretty much the whole way though some of the latter  parts were overgrown with ferns.

12/16/2023 8:59 am  #4

I made the trip down White Partridge creek with a buddy back on July 30th, 2014. So while the data may be 10 years old, it should still ring true for what to expect at that time of year.

Below is a screenshot of the GPS track. The highlighted section is from the end of the portage to The Forks. it's 10.9km and it took us 3h49m which includes 1h10m of stopped time.

As others have mentioned, the portage is a breeze - straight and flat. I remember it going a lot quicker than I expected (a touch under 40 minutes to make the 2,320m crossing, according to the GPS).

The creek itself is very similar to the upper portion of the Nipissing. There are many tight corners and narrow sections. We had to get out of the boat to duck under / lift up the alders to allow the canoe to continue forward. We did this a few times, but it was July and warm - so it was no big deal. As you get further along, the alders to move to the side and there are many stretches of the creek that are open and easy to paddle. We skipped the portage via creek walking, since we were already wet and the only obstacles are big rocks. Once past the portage the alders become much less of a problem and eventually opens up to marshlands. Not quite as large as the long marsh along the Nipissing, but the idea is the same.

When we got to the forks, we were scooping out twigs, leaves and spiders by the handful. It was pretty funny at the time, but probably because we were glad it was over.

Overall no regrets and would do it again.

12/17/2023 9:39 am  #5

Peek wrote:

When we got to the forks, we were scooping out twigs, leaves and spiders by the handful. It was pretty funny at the time, but probably because we were glad it was over.

Should keep all the lightweights out of the area. Lol

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

1/10/2024 8:38 am  #6

This was May 2023

Right before I got my saw out and swapped spots with the dog. Non stop sawing for 2 hours until I got scared about being stuck on the creek over night and decided to go back. Took about 10 mins to get back lol. 

1/10/2024 8:52 am  #7

danmanwick wrote:

I got scared about being stuck on the creek over night and decided to go back. Took about 10 mins to get back lol. 

Planning on going back in May 2024 to finish cutting the way for the rest of us?? Someone has to do it! haha

1/10/2024 4:36 pm  #8

Bypass loppers should mandatory for the next person who goes down that creek! 

Fish-Online is so good now you can see the extent of the Alder from Aerial Imagery

White Partridge Creek

Alder Hell on the Nipissing River

1/10/2024 6:48 pm  #9

MartinG wrote:

Bypass loppers should mandatory for the next person who goes down that creek! ]

I guess that’s me. We’ve booked to go through there in May. Might bypass the loppers and just take a flame thrower.

1/11/2024 8:34 am  #10

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

MartinG wrote:

Bypass loppers should mandatory for the next person who goes down that creek! ]

I guess that’s me. We’ve booked to go through there in May. Might bypass the loppers and just take a flame thrower.

1/11/2024 8:10 pm  #11

Those are some high quality images

I did have ideas about seeing if anyone would be interested in helping clean it up, have a little base camp party with day trips up the creek haha

1/12/2024 7:28 am  #12

I don't want to be the fuddy-duddy and I recognize we all mean well in 'improving' canoe access thru the creek but please be aware the cutting of live flora not only is contradicted by the leave no trace principles, it also damages the riparian environment and is forbidden according to the backcountry regulations of AP. 

We all know the 'damage' will barely be noticeable within a couple years of the crazy fast growth of the alders but we shouldn't be promoting those behaviors in any way in an open forum or afield.  Removing that cover foliage can increase the amount of sunlight and warm the water as well...which could reduce its suitability for some fish and animal species.

I don't see anything specifically outlawing flamethrowers though, so that should be fine.  ;-)

1/12/2024 8:51 am  #13

PaPaddler wrote:

Removing that cover foliage can increase the amount of sunlight and warm the water as well...which could reduce its suitability for some fish and animal species.

I don't see anything specifically outlawing flamethrowers though, so that should be fine.  ;-)

This is my understanding as well - the shade provided by the alders is critical in helping the native brook trout stay cool in the summer months.

1/12/2024 10:40 am  #14

hit mc norton lake if you are going

1/12/2024 5:37 pm  #15

Ya I wasn't going to do it without getting permission, but they should remove it as an official route if they are not going to maintain it

1/13/2024 9:27 am  #16

danmanwick wrote:

Ya I wasn't going to do it without getting permission, but they should remove it as an official route if they are not going to maintain it

I agree!

And If I wasn't such a gram weenie I would absolutely use loppers to help me get down this creek. It would be the most effective way to clear a path through a published canoe route.

The AFA can use a bulldozer to clear a path through a designated logging area but we can't use a cutting tool to clear a path through a designated canoe route? Leave no trace principles are dogma. A canoe route is a predetermined dedicated trace for people to travel. A portage is the exact opposite of Leave No Trace.

Last edited by MartinG (1/13/2024 9:33 am)

1/14/2024 11:10 am  #17

Holy cow that Fish Online satellite imagery is incredible eh?  I've never heard of it before but it's very clear!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.