You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2015 7:03 am  #1

Portage Pack

So I'm in the market for a new portage pack.  I want something smaller than my 110L Sealine Boundary for solo trips.

I tried my backpacking pack the last solo trip and it was a disaster. Great pack but sits way too high. Nightmare trying to get the canoe up and sitting properly.

Need one that sits no higher than the base of my neck.

I like the idea of a padded hip belt and obviously a full frame would be nice. Not sure I would pay a lot extra for the frame though.

My Sealine is ok but might want to try something else.

Anyone use a Slogg 70L or Eureka 75L.  Anything else in this size that you love. ? Something more traditional?

Thx.

Shawn

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

8/18/2015 8:21 am  #2

8/18/2015 9:28 am  #3

Re: Portage Pack

I have the  Eureka 75L. It is great! No padded hip belt though. 

8/18/2015 9:35 am  #4

I went with the ULA Epic pack and love it.

Sorry, I can't do the link yet! Google ULA Epic.

All the great features of ULA and a versatile pack. I have 2 35L dry bags and a 65L so I can mix and match. If I'm going to be double portaging then the 2 small packs work. In the fall I can take the large and one small so that all the extra heavy clothing fits. Backpacking it all goes in the one large pack.

Bonus is that because everything is in dry bags to start with, I don't need to worry about rain.

8/18/2015 4:05 pm  #5

I got a free SealLine Boundary 70L from a family member about a week ago. My current pack is just an ObusForme 85L that I bought at Canadian Tire for $200 about 5 years ago which has a metal frame but is designed for hiking not canoeing. Am I better off using the SealLine pack as my regular pack? As it stands now I always single portage on solo trips but I think I could fit everything in the 70L no problem, but I couldn't imagine it would be comfortable on the back without a frame? I am also concerned about the straps, it doesn't look like they are held on the bag that well but I could be wrong.. I'm just worried one might tear off rendering the pack useless?

8/18/2015 5:02 pm  #6

Here's the GG Quetico in action.  Testing the picture upload.
http://myselfreliance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Screen-Shot-2015-05-22-at-2.15.58-PM-copy.jpg
 I much prefer it to the Sealline for portaging, but one thing that differentiates each of the suggestions is whether or not it's completely waterproof.  The dry bags like Eureka and Sealline are pretty much watertight even submerged but the more traditional styled packs are water resistant, not waterproof.  It's fine if you use dry bags inside like I do.

8/19/2015 7:56 am  #7

@Token, I've used Sealine packs for the past ten years or so.  The one thing I would recommend is that when you put the pack on your shoulders, do not do it by lifting it with only one strap.  I normally look for a rock or log to sit it upright on (or the front of the canoe) and then turn around and put both arms into the shoulder straps.  Picking it up by one strap puts too much pressure on one strap connection.  I damaged one by doing this (a 115L loaded with about 70 lbs) but since that mistake, they have been rugged tools.

Regarding the original question, how about the Deluth Packs?  Those are classic, rugged and specifically designed for canoe usage.  I do love my Sealine packs though.  We have a 115L, two 70L and one 40L or so.  Everything watertight is such a comfort.

8/19/2015 8:49 am  #8

Doing some more research I think my dream bag would be in a traditional canoe pack style with great support but also be waterproof.

Looks like Granite Gear used to make an 80 L Immersion bag but 2 problems.

It was $330 and looks to be discontinued anyway..

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.

8/19/2015 11:33 am  #9

Decision just made for me.

Eureka 75L bag is on sale at Tent City for $69.

At that price point I will just start there and see how she goes.

Thx everyone.

8/22/2015 6:54 pm  #10

Seems I'm a bit late for Shawn, but perhaps others are interested.  I've been using a MEC Slogg Deluxe 115L pack for two or three years now, and I'm quite happy with it.  I've singe carried some very long portages (~5km) and found it quite comfortable.  I think the internal frame helps on the longer portages.  It has at least one handle on every side which makes it easy to get in and out of the canoe.  I bought it when it was on clearance, and my only regret was not buying a second one.

8/23/2015 5:30 am  #11

I have pack by these guys. It's big enough to put two 30l barrels in.  http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/

8/23/2015 9:49 am  #12

So many choices :-)

The eureka bag was just too cheap to not give it a chance. Avg price is $109. At $69 was worth a look.

Received it the other day. Looks well constructed. Sturdier than my sealline boundary I would say.

Surprised to see the 75L came with a padded hip belt. Says that it doesn't. Only the 115L does. Maybe a recent change.

Looks about the right size to fit all my gear for solo trips.

8/29/2015 7:44 am  #13

That is an awesome price for a pack of that quality.

I'll just chime in here (for others who might scan this thread for reference in the future) to say that if waterproofness is not your goal, and you don't want to break the bank, the World Famous Norwester Portage Pack is a good deal.

I just put a 3-mil contractor bag inside it, and with proper closure my gear is safe from immersion. They say 100L but that's counting every little side pocket, etc. In reality it's like a 75-80 L pack. It's regularly $70 at Tent City, and I bought it discounted to $60 at the Outdoor Adventure Show. Hip Belt and even a detachable tump line. It's not top of the line stuff by any means, but for the number of times a year I go canoeing it fits the bill and is good value. Only thing it's missing is a nice pocket on the top overflap for a map, sunscreen, and bug dope.

Last edited by LaLoche (8/29/2015 7:49 am)

8/29/2015 2:24 pm  #14

That's a great deal and similar in design to mine.

9/09/2015 7:14 pm  #15

Hey Shawn (from Simcoe County),

Do you mind me asking where you picked up your Granite Gear pack? Trying to find one in the GTA with no luck so far.

Thanks,

Moonman.

9/09/2015 7:45 pm  #16

AO has some at Oxtotongue. Sierra Trading Post often has them at discount. I just bought a used Superior One used - it looks great.

9/09/2015 8:24 pm  #17

Directly from Granite Gear online

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.